gilbertgrape

Bedroom: How to give a wow factor without disturbing the calm

gilbertgrape
8 years ago

Good morning. This is my bedroom so far. It's lovely and spacious but still needs more work to bring it all together. It's a basement room and the doors go out to the bottom of a stairwell so it's not flooded with natural light - nor is there a beautiful vista.

I like the white - it's calming. But at the moment it's a bit insipid and needs a wow factor. The art you see leaning here and there is from my travels - there seems to be a burnt orange coming through in some of them so that could be a good accent colour to use. Any ideas?

The existing furniture will stay (apart from the chair which is only there until I see something that I love). And I need to add bedside tables. What should I do with that big open space in front of the windows? Chaise? Reading chair? Bureau? Would it look strange to put something in front of the window? It's not a regular exit / entrance.

How should I dress the windows? Currently there are vertical blinds and the glass is frosted. Curtains will get in the way of the wardrobe on the right. Shutters would be great but may be out of my price range.

There's a lot of wood going on and I was thinking about carpeting it. What do you think of a very large rug instead? How would I place it?

Finally - the walls - I was thinking of a large mirror on the wall where the pictures are leaning on the radiator and some more dramatic arrangement over the long dresser. What do you think?

Lots of room for creativity but I guess I'm scared of making it look busy or cluttered. How do I keep the calm but add a wow?

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.