sandramarshall200

Running out of money fast.

Sandra Marshall
8 years ago

We had to get a builder in an emergency, we had an intractable rat problem that 6 lots of pest control from various providers had failed to solve in 4 years. Our builder was recommended by the current pest control company, and in many ways he is wonderful. He understood the issue, exposed all the problem areas, and was sensible to the risks, but unsqueamish. We had a lot of false ceilings that had to be removed, and the whole house is involved.

our problem is that he was given an open ended brief, and lots more problems with the house have been uncovered, the rats had made all the wiring dangerous, so we've had a full rewire, the flat roof needed to be replaced, as do both bathrooms. The loft needs all the insulation replaced. This has all been going on for 2 months. We are fairly sure that the house is now protected from further invasion, but only 4 rooms are almost completed. We still need 1 bathroom fitted. And tiled. 4 ceilings replaced, all the loft work, 2nd fix on the electrics, And making good. They have been decorating the rooms as they go along.

But we have spent over 20,000 pounds . We have borrowed more, but we only have enough for 2 or3 more weeks of work.

obviously, we need to say that he must leave the decorating to us.

can we, at this stage ask for a schedule with costs?

is it reasonable to expect 2 people to complete the work outlined, with some other bits of leftover making good in this time frame.

and how do I have this conversation with him, without souring the atmosphere, or having him walk off the job. I know it is crazy not to have a quote and estimates etc, but we were desperate, and he is an honest man, the problems found were real, and he hasn't benefitted from them. He is a good builder and much in demand, so we don't feel that he is making the job last longer than it should. But it has drifted, the small bathroom has taken weeks, and his assistant is lovely, but slow.

what should I do?

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.