refurbexhaustion

Help!!! Off-white hex floor tiles clash with white wall tiles/plumbing

refurbexhaustion
8 years ago

Hi all, I really need some help making a decision to fix a colour discrepancy in our toilet and bathroom. I bought (online) some lovely hex tiles described as (matte) white and some large rectangular wall tiles described as (glazed) white. Both sets of tiles came in separate deliveries on different days and were therefore checked separately (and subsequently stored in separate areas until installation). Our builder installed the hex floor tile in both the toilet and bathroom yesterday and proceeded with installing

the wall tile today. When I went to check on it, it became painfully obviously that the hex tile is not white, but off-white and in combination with the stark, glossy white wall tile is made to look even creamier to the point where it almost looks yellow...not good... I panicked and asked the builder to stop with installing the wall tile and take off the ones that had been installed (about half way up the toilet walls, none yet in the bathroom) before they set. My initial thought (as I like the hex tile...and it was far more expensive) was to find another wall tile (perhaps light grey) to match the hex. Until someone pointed out that the plumbing (shower tray, toilet and sink) is also stark white and will therefore also clash with the hex. Sigh...I really don't know what to do and to make matters worse...I asked the builder to continue installing the hex tile in the bathroom on the built-in toilet tank and inside the shower... As I see it, these are my options: 1) Continue with the original plan and live with the colour difference 2) Nix the wall tile and find another to match the hex's off-white or choose a totally different colour tile in contrast. However, the plumbing is still likely to clash and bring out the yellow in the hex 3) Stick with the original tiles and paint the (expensive!) hex to match the white of the wall tile (difficult?) or paint the hex light grey in contrast 4) Lay totally different floor tile on top of the hex (ripping out probably more expensive to remedy. Am I missing anything? Is there an alternative I'm not seeing? Please help! It's our first owned property and a lot of time and money has gone into doing it up so I would hate for us to fail at one of the final hurdles. Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (39)

• mayfly182
    8 years ago

Oh dear. White and off-white often don't go that well together.My
    suggested solution, though, would be to use a strongly coloured grout
    on the hex tiles which will make the overall colour of them far enough
    from white that they will go together again. It's a bit difficult to
    figure out what that colour should be from the photo you have, though.
    Maybe green?

refurbexhaustion thanked mayfly182
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I think if you layer the cream and white you can get it to work ie cream towels, white blind, cream accessories etc. some of the grey from the grout might also be good. Are the walls fully tiled? I have to say though that I don't think they look bad at all as the tiles aren't really what I'd call cream so shades of pale "brown" for accessories (maybe with some bronze) may also work. It would be good to see a pic of the whole room though

refurbexhaustion thanked minnie101
  • Related Discussions

Black grout with large white tiles?

Q

Comments (10)
    You might be pleasantly surprised how different it will look when you change the wall colour. Perhaps if you didn't that first, you'd not need to change the grout. I'd agree; if the tiles aren't symmetrical then a darker grout line would highlight this. I'd also agree that dark grey would look great - you have this in your floor mats and it looks nice against your gorgeous floor tiles. We went grey in our ensuite. Hubby was concerned it would be dark, but we love it. Worst case - if you change your mind, paint is an easy swap. Good luck ;)
    ...See More

Porcelain large white tile 600mm sq

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, I'm not sure if you are looking for a certain style, so I've listed links to a couple when I searched white porcelain tiles 60x60, but if you take a look on website they have many tiles in white finishes from Matt finish to marble finish, etc.. https://www.al-murad.co.uk/cosmos-collection/41-cosmos-white-matt-60cm-x-60cm-wall-and-floor-tile-.html?search_query=White+porcelain+tile+60+x+60&results=94 https://www.al-murad.co.uk/cosmos-collection/45-cosmos-white-rock-60-x-60cm-wall-and-floor-tile-.html?search_query=White+porcelain+tile+60+x+60&results=94 Good Luck
    ...See More

Change floor tiles from hall to downstairs toilet? Poll- which tiles?

Q

Comments (12)
    That's interesting colourhappy - we did omit the aqua tiles and put just the taupe with blanco (which has some grey tones in the variations) but it looked a little bland which is why we thought the aqua might liven it up but now I'm thinking you are right and they are too cool for the flagstones.
    ...See More

Ideas to stop colour clash with cream kitchen units and white floor

Q

Comments (8)
    yes its the wrong colour of kitchen for that space, so I see two options - make the white-on-white monochrome look intentional by adding even more off-white (nothing more cream than the cabinets and nothing more blue-white than the floor) - think chunky utensil holder, large vases, big bowl for fruit. other option is to introduce lots of colourful accents and ignore the wrong whites - I'd add a rug, colourful bowls/vases/towels/etc. give it some personality and make it your own and enjoy it! couple fixed areas that you could renovate fairly easily - remove the short kickstand at the back of the worktop and install a proper til backsplash - and/or paint the walls!
    ...See More
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions! In a panic I actually had them remove the white wall tiles before they set and become more difficult to remove. I should have taken more time to consider that decision as in hindsight, it is probably the hex that's the wrong colour... Therefore, I'm back to square 1.1 - so to speak - with the hex still on the floor and the built-in toilet tank and the rest yet to be tiled. I'm just really struggling to see how I'll make it work. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try the strong coloured grout option. The rest of the house is also (to be) decorated in cool colours. Our kitchen cabinets are grey with a white, marble-effect worktop and white subway tiles. All walls and trim is being painted RAL 9010. The funny thing is that looking at the hex tile away from the stark white tile, it does actually look white. But seeing it next to each other, I actually think it's darker and more creamy than RAL9010. Surely the vendor shouldn't be advertising it as white, especially given that most plumbing is stark white these days...

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, I should've also explained that the photo is of the downstairs loo, not the bathroom. I do love the copper trend though so perhaps could work with those accents and layer the white/off-white... I must say that the photo exaggerates the difference a tad, in real life, the difference is slightly more subtle, but still big enough to feel "off".

• tamp75
    8 years ago
    Have the hexagon tiles all been grouted? It looks like the wall ones haven't but maybe the floor ones have? If not at all, would white grout help to tie it together although I guess that's not a good colour choice for all that grout. I actually don't think it looks that bad and once you get the sanitary ware in place that might help to tie it together more. Sometimes you just need s bit of time to adjust to how it looks rather than how you thought it would look.
    refurbexhaustion thanked tamp75
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

It's true what tamp says re adjusting and a good idea with grout. Why not look at images of cream and white bathrooms to see if you do like them. I think layered with a little ŵarm metallic thrown in would really work but if you don't like it, it's probably best to change it now whilst you have the chance

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, they have not been grouted yet, but I wonder whether white grout will just emphasise the yellow tone even more. And yes, the plan was for light to medium grey grout with a view to dirt, especially in the downstairs loo where shoes are more likely to leave dirt. Perhaps I should give it some time...if only I hadn't told them to strip the wall tiles that were half way done in the loo (none have been installed in the bathroom as yet)...

• PRO
    Design Penguin Ltd
    8 years ago
    Hi there, my advice is simple. Stop. Ask your builder to work on something else for a couple of days and use the time to get some samples so you can see what possibilities will work together. Most tile companies will send you samples, or you can visit a showroom and pick them up, and there's no substitute for seeing them in situ against the other finishes and items you're using. You can easily get back on track as long as you take a little time to put everything together - like a designers sample board. And then you can authorise the re-start and all will be good. Good luck!
    refurbexhaustion thanked Design Penguin Ltd
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't necessarily dislike the hex tile on its own. And I could see how it might possibly work with a light grey wall tile or a taupe-ish colour. However, that still leaves me with the clashing sanitary ware...

• acew1234
    8 years ago
    Could the White tiled wall be wet walled or have some sort of none tiled finish instead of the tiles? Maybe it's just me but the tiles don't sit well with the hex ones. I'd rather have a plain none tiled wall.
    I love your hex tiles by the way!
    refurbexhaustion thanked acew1234
  • PRO
    Design Penguin Ltd
    8 years ago
    Those options could work very well. My point is you need to see it yourself before committing. And only you can see it in situ against the bright white of the sanitaryware and in the lighting conditions you have to make your own judgment. If you or your builder or whoever is advising you get the samples together then you can decide - with the best will in the world no-one on Houzz can do that. I wish we could...
    refurbexhaustion thanked Design Penguin Ltd
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks angelaew! I was just thinking that I could extend the hex on all walls half-way up behind the sink and just plaster above it (in the loo) and then paint soft grey or something along those lines. However, leaving it bare from the floor up could also be an option and perhaps resolve the sink issue with special bathroom approved, washable paint. Food for thought!

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree Design Penguin and I will be off to source tiles first thing in the morning. However, as I'm a novice, amateur design enthusiast, I'm bound to overlook options that I simply may not even think of. It's always good to hear other people's thoughts and suggestions, but yes...it's then up to me to see if they'd work in practice for the space in question

• debbiecuby
    8 years ago
    Go black! Get Matt black wall tiles - it'll look great !
  • Becky O
    8 years ago
    I th
  • Becky O
    8 years ago
    I love the hex tiles, I agree with above comment, replace white tiles with black and then black grout for the hex, it will tie it all in
    refurbexhaustion thanked Becky O
  • debbiecuby
    8 years ago
    Or a great wallpaper or paint colour - a cloakroom doesn't have to be tiled! It's meant to be fun and interesting
    refurbexhaustion thanked debbiecuby
  • Becky O
    8 years ago
    Yes you could paint a contrasting colour, will highlight tiles more
    refurbexhaustion thanked Becky O
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, debbycuby and Becky O...daring! This is exactly what I like about this forum! I would never have thought of this option and although I like it in theory, I think both the loo and and bathroom (2m20 by 1m70) are too small to use black tile on the wall. Plus, in my head, I just can't get past the stark white sanitary ware causing the same clash issue with the tile... I think I may need to ask them to hold it in there for me to have a look at that first before I try and find ways around wall issue...

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If sanitary ware turns out to cause a real issue with the tiles, have any of you had experience with painting tile?

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I do like the idea of paint or paper too!

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    I would not worry about the hex tile going with the sanitary ware. In my opinion the gloss white tiles will look cheap against a Matt tile so I would find another Matt tile in a similar colour to the hex tile or darker.
    Then I would choose your mid grey grout or even a chocolate brown.
    refurbexhaustion thanked Jonathan
  • Mulchie
    8 years ago
    I agree maybe chocolate brown or granite colour to go with the hex tiles? But keep the hex tiles - they are gorgeous!
    refurbexhaustion thanked Mulchie
  • debbiecuby
    8 years ago
    I think once the black grout is in and walls are not white but a different colour all together you won't notice the white sanitary ware difference. Everyone has white sunk toilet. Search 'wallpaper' in bathroom cloakroom to see some ideas - you can go as plain or crazy as you like. I think the more fun the better just have a bit of black/white/off white running through paper to tie it in. You can also include a colour in the paper from elsewhere in the house to really tighten up the look of the house.
    refurbexhaustion thanked debbiecuby
  • Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    Agree with Jonathanb in that white sanitary wear is not the issue as everyone (almost!) has white pieces. If you had had white matt tiles then you would probably like it. Just white gloss doesn't go with the matt & cheapens it.

So if you can afford new tiles I would go for your preference of a gray matt and grout the hex tiles with a pale grey grout to tie it in.

You will never be happy with a white & cream bathroom theme if that's not what you wanted
    refurbexhaustion thanked Tani H-S
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! It is really much appreciated!

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jonathandb1972 and Tani Harvey-Smith, I agree and a similar colour or slight grey coloured tile also seemed the best solution to me after thinking about it. I went tile shopping yesterday and came back with beautiful matt, light grey tiles...but in the bathroom they looked blue! While in the shop I hesitated between two different light grey tiles and brought home a sample of the other, which seemed to work much better (also with the grey-brown, wood-look bathroom cabinets I bought). So I went back to the shop to swap them and the builder put up a sample next to the hex to get an idea of what it would look like. Although the colour is MUCH better, I'm unsure about the (modern) size of them - 20 by 50cm) - next to the more retro hex. They're already a little smaller than the original white glossy tile, which were 30 by 60cm. I think it's also really difficult to see on such a small scale "trial" area, but unfortunately to wait and see until it's all up and finished means it will also be too late! Something again just feels a little off... Thoughts? Please note this is a photo of the bathroom and not the loo as per previous photo (same tile scheme in both).

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, I shoul've also explained that the hex you see on the left is in what will be the shower and the intention is for it to go right up to the ceiling (2.5m) on both walls in the shower only.

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The photo also shows that the hex is definitely not cream and looks totally different to the first picture in combo with the grey tile

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Great choice and I think the size of the new tile works too.
    Only last thing to think about...... When you have a dark grout particularly around a large straight tile you notice where these lines fall. Therefore you may want to specify where grout lines are..... For example lining up with the centre of a basin or WC where your eye naturally is drawn to.
    refurbexhaustion thanked Jonathan
  • mrshste
    8 years ago

That most recent photo looks great. Perfect!!

refurbexhaustion thanked mrshste
  • Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    I think the larger tiles look fine. Have you tried turning them the other way ie vertical to see if you prefer them that way instead??
    refurbexhaustion thanked Tani H-S
  • acew1234
    8 years ago
    Love the new smaller tile looks great with the hex tiles!
    refurbexhaustion thanked acew1234
  • refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tani Harvey-Smith, thanks for your suggestion. I had a look at putting them vertically, but think I prefer them as is. I think that wall troubles me as it's the only one (aside from above the toilet reservoir in the downstairs loo, where the grey tile and the hex are so "close" together. I know that sounds a bit silly, but the opposite wall where the sink will be only has the grey tile, so there is more of a division between the two. I guess I'll just have to brave it and see how it turns out when the whole room is done...bit scary!

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jonathandb1972, I was thinking of going with a grout that is the same colour or lighter than the grey tile. The hex will be grouted in a medium grey. This has already been done in the loo (the hex) and looks great. Neither are grouted in the above picture. Do you think there will still be issues with where the grout lines are if they are the same or lighter than the tile? Also, where the hex tile in the shower meets the grey tile will mainly be covered by the shower's profile. However, the shower only goes up to about 2m, so there will still be a visible "meeting" of tiles above that. My builder is a little concerned about how this will look as he will have to cut small pieces of tile to fill up the edge, which may stain once they start grouting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...

• refurbexhaustion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have also now run into new tile problems (clearly I'm no good at choosing tile!) in the kitchen. Will probably post as a separate design query, but if you get a chance, I'd appreciate your feedback! You guys have been really helpful and it's so very much appreciated!

• jaxta51
    7 years ago

Tiles can be so tricky - they are basically an all-over pattern with the grout lines and so hard to imagine "in situ". If you’re unhappy with where the tiles meet above the shower, you might try one of the various quarter-round strips/tiles intended for edging, but fixed vertically in the internal angle between the two walls. Just an idea but it might help to have have a defining line between them. You could experiment with colour, maybe matching the grout?

• Kerem kilicay
    6 years ago

I would recommend a dark colour grout on both of them to bring it all together. That would unify the whole bathroom. That is probably the cheapest way to go about it. I do think you're spot on with the hexagon white tiles though. We bought these Carrera marble style hexagon tiles for the kitchen last month. They look fab!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.