innovation999

Budget garden makeover

innovation999
7 years ago

Hello, first time poster!

Garden is approx 70ft by 20ft, with crazy paving patio, small rockery at the start of a 25ft lawn area, with a 20ft by 15ft garage with asbestos roof at the end, backing onto an alleyway.

Want to improve the quality of the lawn, have all-year round colour in border; and keep conifers (which acts as the boundary). Pear tree doesn't look healthy but does produce fruit.

I hope to replace the garage roof and try to refurbish unless you think otherwise - this would push up the budget. I'd like to renew the patio as the pointing is shot in most places.

I like lilies, otherwise anything that's low-maintenance will do.

Have a budget of £300.

Any advice greatly received.

Shaz

Comments (47)

• iolosdad
    7 years ago
    Paint ! Transform the fence with a wood stain
    Paint ! The walls not necessarily the same colours but it will give you a great back drop
    Jet wash the patio?

Come back and show us what you decide to do ?
    innovation999 thanked iolosdad
  • Related Discussions

Back garden needs total makeover!

Q

Comments (12)
    You need some earth to plant in. You could do it all in pots and planters but in the ground is better and less demanding on the maintenance front. You'll be removing the raised decking but may be replacing the pergola above it, shading the area probably too much for effective planting. Put something else such as seating or table and chairs there for now. The rest of the ground is currently covered in bricks and concrete apart from the barbeque area, which is decking. From what you've said that decking is in decent condition. So now we go to work. I'm setting this work out in sections as a DIY project which could be done stage by stage over any period of time, or periods of time with gaps between, that you choose. I would extend the period of my plan if progress is slow, speed it up if progress is better than anticipated. My plan would start with removing the weeds and dried out plants from the raised beds, both the brick walled and the wooden walled ones. They would be planted with what I want to put there after the soil had been seriously refreshed by mixing in a good amount of fresh compost. Something like three or four inches depth of compost mixed with the top four or five inches depth of soil in the raised bed. My next priority would be to create more growing space. To do that I would remove quite a lot of the bricks from the ground, clean them off as well as I could and store them for now. Some will probably break up, and those would be dumped. The good ones can be used as temporary access paths and pot stands, which will be moved around throughout the following stages. Lots of compost would be added to the newly revealed soil and that is where the next stage of planting would occur. The concrete next. We need to know how thick it is and that will be easy to see at the previous stage with a few bricks removed. Very thick? That's a tough job. Two inches thick? An inch? Less? The thinner the easier. A few whacks with a heavy hammer should break a thin layer up. If it is too thick for that you will need to hire somebody with the effective machinery for the job. I can't see the access in the pix so cannot guide you on what machinery. There is nothing broken up concrete can be used for so it has to go. The revealed earth needs to be revived in the same way as the rest was before planting takes place. We have ended up with bare earth, maybe some bricks left in the ground but otherwise just what we've planted and the loosely laid bricks. Where do you want your path now it's to become a more permanent feature? Don't forget access to the raised beds so you can tend the plants. Where do you want your potted plants? The path and the bases for the pots can now be made stable by putting the bricks back into the ground. I prefer them on their sides but that is up to you. Flat as they are now, on their sides, or a mixture, perhaps side on for the paving and flat as pot supports? I would experiment a little if I hadn't used bricks this way before. No way is right or wrong. It is all down to personal preference. Any bricks still in the ground from the beginning can now be either taken out and used in the plan or perhaps a few have happily ended up just where they're needed. So there is a way forward with very little spending involved. Seeds are mostly very cheap. Plants are cheaper than other materials, labour or professional services. You will swear a lot, sweat a lot and have lots of fun. You will also learn a great deal. If you do end up still feeling you need help you will understand exactly how to brief the professional you appoint.
    ...See More

Garden/backyard makeover

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, you have plenty of issues there to deal with. :) The best way to deal with compacted soil at your lawn is to get a proper aerator, run it over the lawn, remove all arisings and then fill in the holes by raking in a sand, topsoil, grass seed mix. The sand will help keep the soil aired and non-compacted while the topsoil will retain moisture for the grass seed. The worst lawn areas (e.g. underneath tree) I would consider turning into low maintenance planting beds, You can use evergreen perennials like turf-lily, which will grow in those harsh conditions, without giving you more gardening work. Finally, find attached an example of really cute, easy to build, pallet seat/loungers. These ones are by an austrian company (palettenmoebel.at).
    ...See More

Concrete Jungle to Urban Cool - A London Garden Makeover

Q

Comments (6)
    Absolutely lovely, such a warm atmosphere. Love the ambient lighting, seating area and the planters behind the seating.
    ...See More

Garden advice on a low budget

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, I think the row of bins is more of an eyesore than the garage wall. You can make or buy bin stores that will cover them up. As already stated, painting the wall will be an improvement. I would try white or sage green (my go to colour for any garden!). Is the area going to be a sitting area? If so, then an outdoor rug to cover some of the concrete will be nice. Mine is made of recycled plastic and is weather proof. Then some large pots, the biggest you can afford, and fill with colourful planting.
    ...See More
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you drywsdad and Sophia for you quick response. Not sure I can paint the fence as it's my neighbours, although can paint the wall once I've replastered. Will have to check that it's not there's too. Can borrow mum's pressure wash.

Sophia, can you recommend a good lawn treatment? Garden looks lovely with the bright colours; makes a big difference.

Any suggestions for planting?

Will update as and when I make the changes.

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

You can paint your side of the fence as long as it is done properly and doesn't bleed through.

innovation999 thanked shelleyuk
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks shelleyuk, I didn't know that. However, might be difficult with plants growing through the panels.

Still food for thought.

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

you can cut off any plant that overhangs your property and so you can chop back the bits that are growing through (unless you'd then be left with gaps in the fence of course..)

• Flo G
    7 years ago
    you could grow a plant up the fence, houzz has an article right now on how to attract nature, plants that attract beas and butterflies might be particularly nice. In terms of all year flowering this is difficult but here are some fairly reliable perennials: snowdrops come up February/March and overlap with bluebells and harebells, these overlap with tulips, these in turn overlap with iris, foxglove and lupin then to geraniums and that sees you to late summer. This is a bit of a mix of plants that you might not like but the idea is to always overlap when they bloom, late summer is the latest you can generally hope for but there are plenty of sites only that can tell you when the flowers are up. After August you have to rely on variegated leaves and whatnot.
    innovation999 thanked Flo G
  • championcat
    7 years ago
    unless you're prepared for the maintenance if fence painting, I would bother. karcher the patio, invest in some colourful outdoor rugs (currently in tk maxx for £9.99 each). add colour through furniture (junk shop finds given a lick of paint) and bright cushions. I'd cluster some large pits by the side of your patio with some interesting foliage eg hardy banana, fatsia japonica, cordyline, fan palm and spent the rest of the budget in planting. if you define the edge of the lawn better, it'll all look sharper. poundland is good for bulbs and roses. it'll take a few years for it all to mature but some good planting now will pay off.
    innovation999 thanked championcat
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello Flo G and Championcat, thanks for your suggestions.

Flo G - i'll need to do a bit of research on the plants suggested but that's exactly what I needed around planting advice.

Championcat - hadn't thought about rugs for the patio; these will had the bad pointing and is probably a cheaper and quicker alternative. I'll have to hem out my local TK Maxx for the rugs.

As promised, once I get started, i'll post some pictures.

Bit of a reflector - so it may be some time!

Thank you all.

• S Niko
    7 years ago
    I had success with some stuff I'd picked up in the garden centre for the last house. Bit of disaster with the 4 in one weed and feed in the current garden as it burnt patches in the lawn where I amy have over applied and then not watered it in properly! Think you can pick up some thing for about £10, it will take you 5 minutes then do the same again later in the summer. I know the garden isn't much to look at currently but we had a good result from waiting for our tiny plants to grow in the last house.
  • S Niko
    7 years ago
    With regards to plants I'm not a gardening expert. I used. Crocus website as it gave suggestions. Depends on your soil. We have chalky soil so the summer plants we have our verbena bonasaris, echinacea, gladioli, agapanthus, some grasses, lavender. Also got some evergreen shrubs and some bulbs such as tulips and iris for colour earlier in the year.

I know there are many fancy gardens on here but mine is cheap and cheerful
  • frango1
    7 years ago
    Am trying the same. Keep us posted!
  • Flo G
    7 years ago
    Hello (again), a good trick I picked up for planting on a budget is to find plants that are easy to propergate with cuttings. Last month I picked up a potted basil you can find in super markets from just one of the stalks I have now grown five more individual plants. For basil all you do is cut off a stem section with leaves and put it in a glass with tap water (leaves above water level) changing the water once every few days until roots grow, then you leave them until they are a few inches long and plant them up, hey presto two (or more if you took more sections) plants out of one. Depending how much sun you get basil might thrive outside or do better in the warmth but there are other plants out there (such as carrots) just as easy to propergate.
    innovation999 thanked Flo G
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello Flo G and all, not a lover of herbs and veggies. However, would it work for other plants like white lilies?

I'm hopping to spend the weekend making a list of plants to buy. Have already looked at the Crocus website (thanks Sophia) and will try to give the lawn a better cut (c/o Championcat).

I am tempted to try Homebase's Garden on a roll - instant plants - but at a starting price of £140 to £300, don't think so!

Will try to post my progress.

• nilpac
    7 years ago

Hi,

Re 'Crocus' they are quite expensive, if you happen to have Poundland near you try in there. I have bought loads of perennials [plants that die down in the winter and then come up again next spring] from there which are doing brilliantly. Also Aldi do some very good plants also very reasonable too. Try your local markets as there is usually a plant stall and they can also give you some good advice and if you happen to have any big car boot sales or fetes/fairs going on in your area these can be good too. I have also bought quite a few plants on Ebay and I have also found a local group which shares cuttings/plants and seeds through Facebook. I have used the perennials as my 'base' and then just fill in with cheap annuals in any gaps that are left and for me it works well and doesn't cost a fortune.

As for white Lillies if you mean your bog standard Lillies then no you cant take cuttings [well you might be able to if you're an expert!]. Most Lillies grow from bulbs and the bulbs grow new little bulbs from the sides which you can carefully remove and replant-but only when the Lily has died down completely.

As for the fence why don't you grow some climbers up it like clematis? I got my first garden three years ago and as it was a new build i had only grass and no flower beds-just a patio, brick walls and wooden fences-totally boring and pretty daunting. Now three years on the fence is totally smothered in clematis, honeysuckle and another pant which i have no idea what its called or even where it came from but looks good! I just put some nails into each fence post-about 3 foot apart going upwards, should be around three nails in each post-then i got some plastic covered wire which i ran across from each fence post and tied onto the nails [you could use hooks if you wanted] I have found this is enough support for the soft climbers without having to use trellis or netting and ends up looking neater-just make sure you use quite thick wire.

Am at work right now-good thing the boss is very understanding!!!- but will try and post some pics for you either later today or tomorrow.

• nilpac
    7 years ago

Also check out B & M stores and The Range-both very good for cheap plants and agin have bought from both places and the plants are healthy , well and doing fine.

Wow just looked at homebase and my are they expensive!!! £4.97 for a clematis compared to £1.99 in B & M-ignore the fact that homebase ones might be a bit bigger as the cheaper ones will grow quickly and in two or three weeks they will be the same size. Also if something dies i'm not that bothered if it was cheap!

• Flo G
    7 years ago
    nilpac is right, with lilies grow from bulbs so cuttings won't work seeds from plants with bulbs take about two years before they can be put in the ground and some plants take around seven years to show their first flower... if you are looking a plants that grow from bulbs here is what the RHS have to say on propergation: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=101 you can however take cuttings from you pear tree but if veggies aren't your thing I'm not sure if an army of pear trees would be your cup of tea either either way here's a good explanation http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/pear/pear-trees-from-cuttings.htm it is possible to take honey suckle cuttings but you'd need something with a little more umph than a glass of water I'm afraid, I found a list of some other flowering plants you can just use water for and have attached pictures in the same order as I have listed them:
    African violet (Saintpaulia)
    Coleus (Solenostemon)
    Geranium (Pelargonium)
    Impatiens
    Philodendron - there isn't enough space to post a picture of this so I will make another post, the flowers look a bit like calla lilies but don't appear often, they are more of a leafy plant.
  • Flo G
    7 years ago
    here are the philodendron pictures, one of the leaves one of the flowers (each of the variations have slightly different flowers but this should give an idea)
  • EllesBelle Joseph
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi innovation999

Sorry but I cant offer you any help on the garden part.

I noticed someone mentioned painting your side of a fence that belongs to a neighbour. Do not paint it without their permission as its their property and you have no rights to it. If you've got good neighbours it may not cause any problems at all but its best to ask. People have been know to go to court over it because people seem to think because its on their side they have some rights but in the UK they dont (unless its joint owned). If you just do a google search along the lines of "painting fence that belongs to my neighbour" etc you should see what i am referring to. There are websites that have people talking about falling out with their neighbours as well as court proceedings.

• mayfly182
    7 years ago

For the lawn I would recommend raking thoroughly with a metal rake and poking lots of holes in with a fork. You should feed it but with lawn feed only - not weed feed and mosskiller - as the weedkiller damages the grass too. My recommendation would also be to add some Black Medic, Trefoil or Microclover seed while you're doing this, as they fix nitrogen from the air and feed the grass in the long run. Another reason not to use weedkiller on grass as it kills these helpful plants.

You can repoint your patio yourself. It's not difficult or expensive, just time consuming.

For plants, there are just so many options I can't really give much specific advice. I would suggest a Clematis montana 'Grandiflora' to grow over the shed, though, whether or not you replace the roof. It is a lovely white flowered clematis and very fast growing. 'Grandiflora' means large flowers- twice as big as other Clematis montanas.

For getting plants, try to find small plant sales near you or go to a nursery which grows plants. Allotment sales are great or ones in Botanical Gardens. Ask the stall holders what they'd recommend for easy colour rather than choosing just by looks.

For best results you want a mix of shrubs, hardy perennials, bulbs and also some hardy annuals which you can buy as seed and sow straight into the garden. Nasturtiums or Poppies are great to start with, or mixed hardy annuals.

innovation999 thanked mayfly182
  • winterfloods
    7 years ago
    Hi innovation999,
    There's some good advice for you on this thread. Can I add my twopennyworth as first-time gardener of forty years ago?
    Top tip is to get to know what will grow in your garden as however much you spend (in cash or effort) will be wasted if you have plants in the wrong places. So have a look around your neighbourhood for the sorts of plants that look good in other people's gardens. Knock their doors and ask! You might find you're offered cuttings or even whole plants.
    Watch the tv gardening programmes and see if there's a local source of cheap gardening magazines (you're welcome to some of my old ones!). You'll learn loads.
    Buy cheap plants from cheap sources by all means but do your homework first (internet wins hands down these days over the library books I used to borrow back in the 70s). I once planted something to cover an old shed........it came highly recommended from Woolworths....and certainly lived up to its common name of the "mile a minute" vine. Had to be dug out as it took up so much time to keep it under control.
    Above all, just have a go at gardening. It's a great hobby and if you can plant a few seeds, grow on some young plants etc. it won't be long until you'll have a garden you can be proud of.
    innovation999 thanked winterfloods
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good Morning all, and thank you for continuing to comment on this post.

Planning to cut the lawn today but not to low.

Mayfly182, I assume i rake afterwards? Also hoping to buy some lawn weedkiller - Weedol - seems to have good reviews. Won't apply to the middle of next week.

EllesBelle Joseph, I probably won't paint the fence but will consider nillpac's covered wire idea for climbers. Do you have any pictures of your garden?

I've also been on the Pounland and Poundstretcher sites for seeds/bulbs. Also note the advice about the lilies and will look for bulbs.

Will try to post some pics of my moving efforts over the weekend.

Really appreciate everyone's generosity.

Happy Saturday.

• championcat
    7 years ago
    I gave up with our clematis. it was a very old, woody one that came with the house. most it was a snail harborage and it never flowered because the 20billion snails that lived in it ate all but the woody stalks. now it's gone I'm in control of the snail situation at last. against our rear wall I have grown a David Austin rose bush. can't recall the name but it is fast growing and produces hundreds of fragrant big blousey flowers and almost entirely covers the back wall now (I think this is year 4 possibly 5). I haven't got a photo of the plant in situ, but the blooms look like this. it flowers from mid may til October and is v low maintenance
  • mayfly182
    7 years ago

@innovation999,

Yes, rake after cutting. Use a metal rake if possible. The aim is to pull up all the dead brown pieces of grass (known as thatch) which are spoiling the look of your lawn and taking up space where you want new grass growing. It will also get rid of any moss.

I would strongly advise against using lawn weedkiller. You don't seem to have a problem with weeds, you have a problem with grass dying off which weedkiller will only make worse.

• innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Quick update - mowed the lawn at 50mm and raked afterwards; bit disappointed as it doesn't look that different. Strimmer wire broke and couldn't work out to thread , so You Tube later.

mayfly182, i definitely have weeds - dandelion, I think.

Still, on the plus side, the banana tree that i thought had died, has started to sprout. Anyone for banana pudding?

the last picture is today's cut and the dark patches are weed, so I def need some weedkiller.

Do you think the grass should be cut higher - 60mm or lower at 30 or 40; I don't really want to shock the grass?

• S Niko
    7 years ago
    I was told by a guy working for green thumb to cut grass on highest setting, possibly even more important in the summer. But if it has been long and then cut short it will look lighter. Sure it will green up in no time.
  • S Niko
    7 years ago
    And following on from other comments, I would defiantly go and speak to your neighbours, they're patches are looking super green
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sophia N - I feel sad now, worse garden on the block. My neighbour on the right has a landscape gardener in the family and they diligently work on their garden. Maybe it's time to swallow pride and ask for help.

I'll cut it on the highest level next time; plan to keep raking after each cut.

I'm hopeful.

• Alecia
    7 years ago
    My inlaws are very keen gardeners and they put 'Weed and feed' on our lawn and it is looking great!!!
  • annarocks123
    7 years ago
    Some quick advice for cheap plants: we are currently planting our garden so that weer can get the house on the market and I found a good deal from Thompson and Morgan, they do a couple of lucky dip offers, one was 72 mini plugs for about £7 and the other wad 5 x 1 liter plants for £20. They turned up in mid May and ate growing on nicely. The mini plus have now started to flower. The other thing you can do is become friendly with the gardeners in your local park. you can grow roses from the cuttings that they do every year in September/ October time. You can Google growing roses from cuttings and you will get a wealth of advice. Good luck
    innovation999 thanked annarocks123
  • Suzie
    7 years ago
    I think it looks much better already! I will be the same thing in Autumn when I move house so will be following this thread. I got rid of 90% of the weeds in my lawn by mowing it more regularly and on the highest setting as already suggested. I put grass seed in the bare patches. It took a year but was virtually free! Weeds don't like the regular cuts but grass doesn't mind it.

Great advice to copy plants that are thriving in neighbours gardens, that removes a lot of the trial and error.

You could post an add for plants wanted on free cycle or your local Facebook group. Most serious gardeners grow too many seedlings each year and would be happy to give them to a good home. Good luck!
    innovation999 thanked Suzie
  • Ludo Gallagher
    7 years ago

Don't be scared of seeds!! They are super cheap with high yield. Pick something easy and quick to produce like nasturtium. Buy them from an online nursery or seed emporium and not a DIY store. I planted some nasturtium last weekend and they have sprouted already.

£300 isn't a lot but paint is really key to transforming a garden so I would commit to that if you can afford it. We've had ours done for 5 yrs.. No upkeep at all. Also, we painted all our fences even our neighbours, it's on our side not theirs.

key for you I think, is breaking up the shape. If you can read a space as soon as you walk into it, it looks boring. You need to draw the eye to at least 3 different zones to keep it looking interesting.

i would build a little round seating area out of pallets at the bottom of that big tree. YouTube has lots of examples. A nice place for morning coffee. I would add potted bamboo or acer willow to the edge of your patio to create a little screen or arch to walk through. You could plant chamomile grass or moss in the cracks of your patio so it releases scent when you walk on it.

you could leave the shed as it is, accept its ramshackle charm and attach curios to the outside of it like vintage scrap yard mirrors, old frames, plates, anything you find and love.

if you like anywhere near London, Covent Garden flower market in Vauxhall is a third of the price of stores. It's for trade but after paying a fiver parking, anyone can go.

also, whilst not cheaper, fake plants have really come along and won't die! Here are some picks of my curio areas. A work in progress. That giant banana tree - fake. No one ever knows.

• littlelady58
    7 years ago
    Small garden don today pick a colour mine is purple looking very pretty and a herb pot as well!
  • dianas1505
    7 years ago

Evergreen variegated shrubs make a good backbone to the garden - euonimus (that's not spelt right!) is excellent, easy to grow, and comes in several varieties. Also purple berberis to give another colour.

Feeding the lawn makes a huge difference; do it.

innovation999 thanked dianas1505
  • Petite Maison
    7 years ago

Hi, we had a similar garden.

1. Asbestos roof will be cement bonded s we removed it ourselves and took it to the tip in double wrapped thick tarpaulin. Your civic amenity site will advise.you. Costs the price of the thick tarpaulins ie less than a tenner! My husband is luckily very handy and put a plywood and felt roof on the garage. About £150

2. We clad the external walls of our concrete sectional garage with shiplap wood (button first). A total transformation. £150. Folk think it's a fancy garden room costing thousands!

3. Laid stepping stones diagonally across the lawn to draw the eye to the end and make it appear wider and longer. Plastic, slate looking ones in B&M are about £12 for 8.

4. A quick growing evergreen is the Eucalyptus, also known as a Gum Tree. Lovely colour and grow a about 10 ft in a year!!! Just train it along your fence.

5. Willow also covers a fence fast but is deciduous.

6. Clematis is a great fence coverer but only if you get the right kind. Look for one that flowers on last year's growth or you have to wait all spring for it to make new growth leaving you with an ugly bare fence again for half the year.

7. Lay weed control fabric over your crazy paving and put down some nice light coloured stones.

.Hope this helps!

innovation999 thanked Petite Maison
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dear all, hope the sun was shining for you today; London was glorious. Quick update; bought some weedol which I hope to use soon and have borrowed a jet wash for the patio.

Championcat recommended TK Maxx for outdoor rugs which I bought today. Really love the colours and now thinking of using it to inform my planting colour scheme.

Ludo Gallagher - hadn't thought of fake plants; the purist in me thinks try to grow the real thing. Liked the idea about seating by the pear tree but actually thinking of getting rid of it as it looks quite poorly. Also it squeezed right beside the shed so may not be easy to build.

Annarocks123 - just looked up Thompson and Morgan and liked their gardening FAQs as well as their extensive plant range.

Littlelady 58 - i like your pop of colour and feel inspired.

Mayfly 182 - you said it is easy to repoint the patio, do you have any top tips?

Thanks for all the tips - keep them coming.

Will continue to update soon.

ps nilpac - can you post some pics of you garden.

• innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mrowatt - missed your post which was very informative re removing the asbestos. I know it's dangerous but the cost of removal by some firms is approx £800. The problem with mine is the dead foliage on it, so I'm cautious about a DIY job. Was it easy to fix the shiplap to the garage; did you have to batten and are the walls insulated?

Just Googled B@M as I have never heard of them.

Liked the idea about covering the patio with coloured stones - might be an option.

• Kittihawke
    7 years ago
    Would advise you to wait and let a firm deal with the asbestos. It's lethal stuff and without the right know-how you could harm your lungs
  • silyab53
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The fence on the right hand boundary - looking from the house - is yours. Perhaps previous owners didn't bother and your neighbour put the fence up, but it wouldn't stop you from putting new fencing up, especially as his looks tatty and run down, or you could ask him if you could paint it. If he's reasonable I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Love the outdoor rug, had a Google but they don't have any online, pity.

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

You can't say for sure that the fence is the OPs' without seeing the title plan. I know there is a rule of etiquette about giving your neighbour the good side of the fence and not encroaching on their land with the fence posts but that doesn't always happen.

• andrew_bowles
    7 years ago

Hi there,

Wait until Autumn.

Weedkill the lawn.

Turn over leave in large clumps.

Spring Roitivate to a fine tilt.

Use Boston seeds to get the right mix.

sow a wildflower meadow and then roll with a roller. water wait for the show

Strim once a year.

Wathch those wildflower attract insects.

use clematis armandai to climb and cover

the ugly fence.

your chums will queue for a picture and if you have kids get a poster for them to expire the invertebrate world

Pick flowers for the house.

cheers

andy

• User
    7 years ago
    Hi all, great thread. I feel inspired. Here's my garden currently. I haven't longed moved in (Feb of this year). There's a lot to do in the house as well as outside but while the weather is good then there's no better time than to make a start on the outside. I've been thinking about getting some outside rugs, thanks for the tip on visiting tk maxx. Hopefully we can all help and inspire one another and update on our improvements within your thread? Happy digging x
  • innovation999
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello All, hope you're having a lovely Saturday - just saw Wales win their first Euro 16 match; very happy, now waiting for England.

Quick update: cut the grass on a high setting following advice and did some weeding. Decided to jet wash the patio but found that my garden hose had holes in it. Had to dash, in the rain, to Poundstretcher to get a new one. I've never used a jet wash power and had a little taster. See below. Tomorrow, I hope to wash the patio properly but it's hard work.

Tommy Turtle's looking a lot better and you can the slabs that I've done so far. Think I need to sweep first as the moss was flying everywhere!

A little comparison, of what can be.

Hopefully, I will post the results tomorrow.

How is everyone getting on with their projects?

Keep posting!

• User
    7 years ago
    I also need to pressure washer my patio space. As you can see from my photos there's a huge oak tree at the bottom of my garden which causes not only a lot of mess but at the back the roots are pulling up the paving. I've contacted the council about it so hopefully something can be done as its a bit too big and close to my house.

Here's my update. It doesn't look much but it was hard work. I didn't realise how heavy bags of soil and turf would be and how many bags it would take up for not s very large area. I've dug to the left side so that I can buy and plant some nice shrubs. I want to go for the Mediterranean look. Any ideas for this? I'm looking forward to (when I can afford it) getting rid of and replacing that shed.
  • lynneamandahayes
    7 years ago
    Gardening express an online company has some brilliant offers in its "special offer" section. I have bought from them several times and always been very happy with what I've got ie 6 small azaleas £6.
  • C Hutton
    7 years ago

Any photo updates?

• PRO
    Esther Jury Landscape and Garden Design
    7 years ago

To go everyone on a shoestring budget my best advice is to get a good gardening book an encyclopaedia with all the information you need on soil prep, plant selection and the most important how to propagate plants by cuttings. Invaluable resource if you have any size garden and can be picked up in charity shops very cheaply. Good luck and happy gardening.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.