hzdeleted_33975820

Need help on extension design

User
7 years ago

Hello! I am a first time buyer with a 3-bed, 50-year-old bungalow in Essex and want to extend the small lounge/dining area by adding 4mx8m on the back of the house. I have submitted plans for a flat roof but got cold feet about whether it is going to spoil the character of the house.

Also I want to be able to fit out/add dormers to the sizeable loft space in due course, and if I added a pitched roof now, this could be another room plus have a balcony.

Cost is the issue - overall 100k fitout of which 40k is the flat roof extension, and I presume the pitched (esp. big enough for a room) will be more expensive. Although I could leave it empty inside for now. But the existing pitches make for an odd shape!

Any advice would be great! Architect/builder tell me that it will match existing render etc but it's just not going to link with nice 50-year-old tiles......Thanks in advance!

Regards, Simon

Back of house, to fill in with extension:

View from the road - a flat roof would be visible on the left, if done:

Floor plan with old wall dashed, new in white, rest in grey:

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.