natalie_isherwood

Need some inspiration!

Natalie I
7 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have just purchased a 1960s house to do up. Normally I can "see" what needs doing but the ground floor has got me on this one! Prior to purchase, downstairs I planned to install downstairs cloakroom, open up the wall between the kitchen/dining room, remove the internal chimney wall and replace current lean to with a small extension (1.5m deep) to get a better view of the garden/ increase kitchen. BUT went in this weekend and now realise that the house is smaller than I remember and every wall is structural and solid. Do I cut back plans and just do a nice refurb job and no structural changes, or carry on with original plan? BTW the stairs (intended putting cloakroom here as I have done before) are supported on solid walls- groan. Head says revert to minimum because pulling out walls will incur engineer/ building control costs plus builder's time.

A cost effective option to add useable space, and not take down walls, could be to block off the hall to add a cloakroom (door into new smaller hall) and utility (door into kitchen) but owners would then have to walk through rooms to get to other rooms. Would that be a no-no in your view? Over to you guys for some sensible advice or creativity (knowing that this is a reno project so working to a budget). To help get your bearings the front door is on the side of house. Thanks in anticipation! Natalie

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.