karen_wadeson

Kitchen update

Karen W
7 years ago
My daughter is thinking about buying this house, her first. She doesn't want to paint the units, retile or change the counter tops, but she is struggling with vision to funk it up. She loves teal/ turquoise colours and I was thinking that with copper accessories and an ikea stenstrop? island. Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Comments (20)

• Joanna C
    7 years ago
    Copper accessories + an ikea island added to this kitchen? I think it'd be a mess. However, a bit of a paint job could go a long way...
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I am also not sure about an island or adding copper.
    But I think a bold wall colour and decluttering will change how you feel about the room
  • PRO
    Jo Chrobak Invent Design Create Ltd
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Not sure why I couldn't add this image to the comment above, but here they are. Not much teal there I'm sorry ;-)

• Karen W
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks very much for your comments and attempts at photoshop. It helps to see it differently. I like the industrial look and would have tried to take it down that route. I think the architraves and skirting would be painted, and you're right none of the clutter is her taste. I suggested the island because her other half definitely wants one and is struggling to like a kitchen without one. So we thought maybe a big one with stools instead of a table might appeal to him and sway him a bit (and it did).
  • PRO
    Jo Chrobak Invent Design Create Ltd
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest a bar type one but was playing it safe not knowing more about the project. Go for it!

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 years ago

I like Jo Chrobak's suggestions re an industrial look as again I can't see the teal or copper really working with the black tiles. What about a funky radiator (not that I am biased, haha)? Am thinking our Core in a lacquered bare steel finish (as pictured) or something in brushed stainless steel would look fab and really add some interest at that end of the room with a funky picture above it???

Radiators in industrial spaces · More Info

• Karen W
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    She is thinking about a different radiator because as you can see it is quite prominent
  • PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 years ago

The radiators are available in a huge range of sizes, so don't worry, a big chunky one isn't the only option.

Radiators in industrial spaces · More Info

• PRO
    Marbleplasterdesigns
    7 years ago
    Take a look at my website www.marbleplasterdesigns.co.uk
    We did a kitchen walls in a bespoke purple Venetian plaster it totally transformed the kitchen
  • sallygeorge123
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

paint the pine doors- put a couple of shelves instead of so may units above kitchen as they dominate too much and put out cool stuff or just the bowls cook books etc..and change handles doors? It will soften it no end and will then work with the black industrial look - a good rad cover- Jason Muttenham makes them and they are really funky- Maybe a mural or large photo blow up and some cool lights hanging over a kitchen table...

• lkirk44
    7 years ago
    It is a good size kitchen she is lucky, have a blind made in her taste of material and accessories including tea towel (posh ones for show!) even a rug will break up the colour on the floor.
    A funky industrial table and chairs oooh wish l could do it lol!
  • PRO
    Handmade in Brighton
    7 years ago
    Definitely paint all that pine woodwork, and the cupboard doors! On the industrial rustic theme discussed, some pics below of stools (chairs also available) or a live-edge table to replace the pedestrian one in the corner-?
  • Karen W
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments. Obviously the Knicks knacks and furniture in there are not hers, as I said she hasn't bought it yet, and I'm sure it will look different when they are all gone. It seems like she either needs to rip it all out and start again, or live with it as is. It appears to be beyond help. She'll probably live with it for now as she is just starting out and it's in good condition. And choose something in her style when she gets round to changing it. Thanks anyway.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Karen. I don't think it's beyond help, it's a great first kitchen. I might suggest your daughter finds out where the tiles and units are from. I'd remove the wall cupboard to the left of the oven and have shelves with accessories, you may need to continue the tiling on that side. I would integrate the appliances. It may be tough getting a wood colour match so would consider painting and changing the handles if necessary. I'd like a dark green with the black but would then change to a good laminate worktop (always marble for me!) but she may hate that! A different colour wouldn't mean changing the worktop. Buster and punch also do a few good handles. I'd also be tempted to paint the entrance door, the pic was the closest I could find.. I think a reclaimed wooden table or even zinc, cement etc would look great with some mid century style chairs. It just depends what she likes style wise

• jackiep3
    7 years ago

Let her make her own decisions even if they aren't what you would like.

• Karen W
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    My mistake. I thought this was an advice forum. And I was asking advice on her behalf. I won't make that mistake again
  • Coco Nuts
    7 years ago

You ask away Karen. If your daughter wants advice from Houzz via you, why should anyone else complain?

• Joanna Biddolph
    7 years ago

It is an advice forum and asking on her behalf is thoughtful and sensible. I think it hasn't helped having so much advice on what to change when you'd started by saying that your daughter doesn't want to paint the doors, retile or change the counter tops. Not everyone reads everything it seems. In my view, it's impossible to decide until your daughter has moved in and seen how her own accessories fit or don't fit and then make a judgement. The things that bother me are the stark white walls and the colour of the floor - neither does justice to the funky black or the orangey pine. A warmer paint colour - or an interesting wallpaper - could make a huge difference. Although rugs can be a nuisance in a kitchen - they move around, are trip hazards, and can get mucky - throwing something down on top of the floor might help to give her ideas. If the owners are taking away the washing machine and dishwasher, replacing them with stainless steel would immediately tone in better or, if the doors are still made, integrating new appliances (as someone else has suggested) would also make a difference. If there were more of a match between the colours in the room ... there might well be scope for adding some teal or turquoise accessories. There's also scope for hanging a huge painting/print/poster, or several, on the wall above that radiator (the existing picture is far too small and the wrong shape - landscape would be better). Good luck to your daughter - I think she can make modest changes to the walls and floor that will turn it into a lovely kitchen.

• noisettes
    7 years ago

It's a great first kitchen - spacious ! If your daughter doesn't want to paint the units , then I think the key changes would be :

1. Definitely hide the White goods ! Consult a good carpenter .

2. Create a feature wall at the dining end of the room - either with paint or paper to make it cosy .

3. Invest in a stunning dining table and chairs , and rise and fall pendant lights to hang above .

It looks a super size for entertaining - so be wary of adding an island . I would spend the money on the dining table etc which can be extended for parties .

Who knows - you need never host Christmas again yourself!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.