ernestine1902

Spare bedroom advice

Ernestine
7 years ago

Hi all. This is my first Houzz post. I love the website and everyone's photos and ideas! I would really appreciate your advice on my spare bedroom redecoration please.

I live in a house built in 1902 with lots of lovely original features. In the spare bedroom I'm wanting to start working on there's a built in wooden cupboard, black cast-iron fireplace and stained glass single-pane windows with wooden frames.

I want to redecorate the house sympathetically, maintaining and enhancing as many features as possible whilst also living comfortably and functionally as a 21st century family (pets not children!).

WINDOWS

In this room I would like to keep the original windows and have been having a battle with my husband over these. I think secondary glazing is the way to go to retain the stained glass and wooden frames however, he thinks we should get the windows double glazed. Aesthetically I think I'm right, functionally he might be right - we get condensation and he says behind secondary glazing the windows will always be condensed and misted. We're also not sure about the ease of opening secondary glazed windows. We want to consider aesthetics, energy efficiency, functionality and price in making a final decision and would appreciate any advice in this area please.

FIREPLACE

I'm planning on redecorating the room in a shabby-chic style with pink walls and white distressed wooden furniture. I want to keep the cast-iron fireplace but it's black. I can either keep it as it is and it would perhaps be a nice contrast to the girliness but I think if it were white it would fit better. Does anyone have any advice as to the ease, process and cost of repainting the fireplace please?

FLOORBOARDS

I'd really like bare (white painted) floorboards instead of carpet but my husband is horrified by the thought and trying to find any excuse possible to say no! I've found lots of online advice as to how to paint the floorboards and prep in terms of washing down but I've been completely unable to find anything about how to make them energy efficient - specifically there are some huge gaps between some of the boards which would need attention and generally I've heard floorboards can be draughty. Also (again I've researched online and been unable to find anything) if I wanted these done professionally who would I hire? A painter and decorator/flooring company/joiner/all 3/someone else?

BED

Finally! (sorry) I'd love a kingsize white sleigh bed but am struggling to find anything other than one on Laura Ashley which I'm not keen on - the front and bottom have distinct panels marked in them and I would prefer whole pieces. (That's difficult to describe in writing!).

Sorry if I've rambled on too much, any constructive criticism about posting is welcome :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts and ideas on my plans and questions. Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.