cortney_urbanek

A Lesson In Romantics

Cortney Urbanek
7 years ago

I am trying to create a couple's retreat- a safe haven for romance, if you will- in a master bedroom. The only guidelines that are already decided are 1. No TV, 2. Private deck, and 3. Oversized round swivel chair facing large window for cuddling during cold season. The problem is, I know there is so much more to romance than furniture choices. I'm talking colors, artwork, lighting, etc. I just don't know how to use those things properly.

This is for a new build and the room is about 12x21. Please help!

Comments (15)

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    Do a search here for romantic bedrooms.
    You want versatile lighting, so you can "dim the lights", nice sheets and comforters for snuggling, pleasant art work that is not too stimulating in any direction, a way to play music, either CD's or wirelessly.
    I think that is a good start.
    I saw a house that had the bed on a floating wall, facing the view, the wall had electric for lights on either bedside and the wall itself contained closet cabinets that did not go all the way to the ceiling. If you could do that you could sit in bed and eliminate the need for the round couch.
    Cortney Urbanek thanked sunnydrew
  • Cortney Urbanek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The reason we have the oversized chair is to separate our sleeping space from our quality time space, but I could look into eliminating it. During the warmer months, we plan to use the private deck for our quiet hang out, but we want options with an overall, inviting, romantic escape environment.

• Cortney Urbanek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sunnydrew, any suggestions on window covering options to maximize the effectiveness of versatile lighting?

• Cortney Urbanek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is a home for myself and my family. For the bathroom, we planned on all tile floor/wall, with heated floor. I like the idea of adding the towel warming rack though.

For the bar and mini fridge, where would you suggest placing them?

• skmom
    7 years ago
    For colors and artwork...
    I know that I prefer to use colors in a bedroom and bathroom that flatter my skin tone. I don't really care if it flatters my hubby's or not, I just want to make sure I feel pretty. LOL!
    And for artwork... we have a lot of children... you will not find pictures of my children in our bedroom. In there I want to feel more like wife and less like mom. I prefer nature inspired photography, I find it interesting, soothing, and neutral. I also have a wall hanging votive candle holder... it wasn't expensive, but it sure looks pretty when lit and everyone looks better in candle light.
    Lights on a dimmer are great too... but I'll be honest, I'm not so crazy about LED bulbs that have been dimmed, it just doesn't look as soft and warm as an incandescent bulb when dimmed. Perhaps I need different LED bulbs, but they're supposed to be a warm white...
    Cortney Urbanek thanked skmom
  • PRO
    Britannia Flooring
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cortney, depending on how much clearance you have, you could put it on the wall in the niche you have right outside the master bath, adjacent to the bed corner, or you - again if there's room, could put it on the wall between the WIC door and the covered porch door. But you know the space and flow best and know which area would best fit that. The bar doesn't have to be big, just enough to put a fridge under and hold some cups and perhaps a Keurig or coffee maker. It is not our area of expertise, but we do see it in a lot of homes that we work on. Hope this helps!

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    Wine. And lots of it.
    Residential Interiors - Kansas City · More Info
  • thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    And if this is a new build I'd seriously look at the master bathroom. Nothing about that layout says romantic. You should consider stealing space from the loft to create a double shower and toilet that's in its own space w a door.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Place the door on the other wall from the loft. That way it isn't right at the head of the stairs. More steps to walk might mean less intrusions, if you have kids. It will also mean that you can put the head of the bed on the wall facing the view, for when you want to enjoy a romantic sunrise or sunset, or a big full moon :)

For colours, that depends a lot on your taste and your partner's. Husband and I could never relax in a room full of purple velvet, but I bet some people think of it as the height of romance!

Remember that it is the beautiful memories and the love you choose to show that will truly transform this into a wonderful space. It can be the most perfectly designed room in the world but if there is negativity allowed in you will not be happy there.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Hot tub=romance.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

You only have one bedroom saved in your ideabooks. I suggest you look a little more. In the spirit of sharing, I offer you my favorite:

Mill Valley, CA · More Info

• Sigrid
    7 years ago

Color is hard, as people have different ideas of color. Ask your partner. Remember that you can do pops of color (if fire engine red gets him/her going) rather than walls.

I like photos of big, billowing blossoms. They can be arty black and white or glorious pink. That said, others find line drawings of nudes to be romantic. Or pictures of you together being happy or places where you were happy.

Focus on texture and comfort.

Be sure you've covered the basics for storage and convenience.

For me, the number one romantic touch is a working lock on the bedroom door. Nothing can kill a mood faster than the sound of approaching kid footsteps when your door isn't locked.

• User
    7 years ago

Is this the second floor? I love a skylight for stargazing....and by all means have the bed face the windows...what's the view there?

• Cortney Urbanek
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the second floor, yes. The view will be of mountains, although we have not bought land yet, so I'm unsure of what direction it will face. We're hoping toward the sunset rather than rise.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.