nbuchho1

Kitchen+Dining+Living in basement Conversion East London

Nicole Huynh
7 years ago

Hi All - we just purchased a Victorian Terrace house in London. It is blessed with good bones and features. We are starting with a relatively blank canvas as we do not have any furniture that we are bringing in.

We absolutely love to cook and entertain so we are looking to make our kitchen and dining area a space where we can hang out, get cosy around the gas fire, and watch TV. Down the line we might change the layout of the kitchen to include an island with breakfast bar, but in the meantime (while we save to be able to afford it!) we need to get some furniture.

The previous owners had a side board and table set up in the "living space".

We were thinking about putting a corner sofa where the table is now, so you can watch tv but also look at what is going on in the kitchen.

Around where the side board is now, we were thinking of putting a dining table with a bench on one side and chairs on the other.
This is what it looks like with out any furniture....

Do you think this would fit in the space? Would welcome any and all advice!

Comments (5)

• Joanna C
    7 years ago
    I think there is good chance of everything fitting in the space but it's worth measuring up to make sure.
    Slightly off topic: If it's your main living space, where you plan to spend most of your time, wouldn't you prefer to be somewhere with more daylight and higher ceilings? I.e. On the ground floor?
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi. It does look as if it would fit but do you have the dimensions? Where does that door also lead to? If it were mine having just seen your living room I would dedicate this to dining and have the same layout the previous people did but with a larger table. Banquette seats are a comfier option if you want to relax and entertain in there (try angel and boho if you like that idea). Have you tried a tv there though as it looks too high for viewing?

Grade II Listed, Hertfordshire Home · More Info

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Might be worth designing the whole space, including the future kitchen, now - before you commit to furniture and then end up designing around that !
    If you look on our pro page you can see lots of different shaped kitchen and living area designs - some designed to go with existing pieces and some with everything new ! ( we don't sell furniture - just design - so you can shop around and compare like for like based on one plan )
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I disagree that it might fit, I think the table seating area will be tight and will also block the walk to the door. The sofa I don't see a problem with as it would just sit where the table and chairs are now.

Agree with Karen at OnePlan, if you are considering further revisions to the kitchen i'd hang fire on the furniture.

I'd change the radiators as a priority. Why do people go for such dominating ones i'll never know, especially filling one of the alcoves by the t.v with one.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Just to clarify -I'm not saying but the kitchen too at this stage - but design it all with the furniture like sofa etc now - we usually include sofa and dining solutions as part of the design process in a room like this - then you will be investing in furniture that may be a squeeze short term - but will fit your longer term plans !
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.