emmelinewe

What do you use your shed for?

Emmeline Westin
7 years ago

According to Cuprinol Shed of the Year, more than a quarter of shed owners use their sheds to enhance their sense of wellbeing through meditation, or even yoga!

If you have a shed, what do you use it for? Does it double up as storage AND space to relax? Or does it have one dedicated purpose only? You know we'd love to know!

A Tatton Glasshouse for People and Plants · More Info

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Bath Bespoke
    7 years ago

Such a beautiful space. We're in love with the timber shed resurgence. It's a space that enables you to be more creative and expressive in your designs.

• Tim Summers
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That's not a shed, that's a fancy greenhouse thingie !

A shed is a wooden box, with half the panels missing from the side, a door that doesn't close properly as the whole thing has twisted due to the dodgy paving slabs it's been put on, and a floor that is so brittle that you need to watch where you're walking so you don't fall through.

My shed has 3 old bikes that don't work anymore, a length of garden hose, a random golf club, a 10 year old tomato grow bag, a few bamboo canes, and some broken plant pots. Oh and a broken lawnmower that I put back in about 6 years ago when it broke fully intending to fix (but I never will)

I definitely can't relax in there! You're taking your life into your own hands whenever you go in there (not that I do).

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    7 years ago

Gosh I wish I had a 'shed' like that! Mine houses usual garden tools, daughters scooter/bike and a tumble dryer! Oh, and empty wine bottles ready to make homemade apple (not cider) wine. :)

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

That is not a shed - I would love to have a greenhouse like that in an English garden but you also need a shed - keeping tools in a greenhouse means they rust due to heat combined with plant induced humidity. I have seen greenhouses with sheds joined to them on the northern side - usually with both a door to the greenhouse and one to outdoors but I think my all time favourite scenario is a walled garden with a large Edwardian/Victorian greenhouse against the wall with door into a large shed perhaps through the wall. No way it will happen but dreams are free.

• lesw13
    7 years ago

I am spoilt - I have a shed with a gardener's toilet and the boiler is housed there, so cosy in winter. I built a greenhouse (quite large, 2 rooms) and a lean to tool shed behind it. I'm not a builder, so not the finest structure ever constructed, however it does the job.

• PRO
    Michael Lowe Landscapes
    7 years ago

Used to have one of those cheap larchlap sheds with crappy osb chipboard roofs. My father in law - a farmer, had some spare corrugated steel roof sheeting which we used to prolong its life and got another 6 years out of it after the original roof was in danger of caving someone's skull in. It too was usually rammed with crap, we rarely used and here in north east England the climate isn't synonymous with outdoor living!

Couple years ago I installed a new fence for some clients who's entire property suffered flood damage after the Tyne broke its banks! They offered me there old expensive posh shed. One shattered panel from the electric cable that had saved it from floating off! Other than that nothing wrong with it! Lovely newish expensive shed now has a new home at mine. It's bigger and much better than my old one and is in no danger of warping whatsoever and we can actually fit all our bikes in and some! The and some is of course... you guessed it....crap that we will never use! Oh it does house the chicken feed for our hens so at least its dual purpose and it looks really nice in the space that it's in. Away at the minute so no access to desktop with photo, sorry. My dream though would be to have a garden studio where I could meditate do yoga and create all things artistic and of course double as my office for when I work from home designing landscapes for my clients. Would certainly beat my current office space which is a tv cabinet housing my printer and printer paper, a mini filing cabinet filled with crap and my 5x2 desk. If only I could afford to buy?! I'd seek the help of one of the other professionals here on houzz to help me design a better office space?!! One can but only dream, sigh...

• peediewee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

shed (brick built & a bit damp) = garden tools, greenhouse = tomatoes, peppers & a grape vine, workshop = man cave, garage = storage, summerhouse = chairs to sit with a glass of wine & a good book. :) we're very fortunate to have all of these.

• PRO
    SelSol Architectural
    7 years ago
    My sheds are rent free homes for House spiders, I swear that given enough time they'll set up their own Lettings agency in my garden.
  • Mirka G
    6 years ago
    I wish I could have a shed that did all things. storage, potting, greenhouse, meditation. but I am going to go for a boring wooden shed for the gardening tools after reading one of the comments about using a green house thingy as also a storage unit.
  • soozmacrae
    6 years ago

My shed looks good from the outside. Painted pretty colour, strings of solar lights, plants and hanging baskets. But its all a lie, because inside its a mess of garden equipment, things that don't fit in the house, old garden stuff etc.

• Patrina
    6 years ago
    Playroom and reading retreat
  • PRO
    Michael Lowe Landscapes
    6 years ago

now that is smug! lol yes I am just envious and what do envious people tend to do? they chide or smirk ;-) I want a nice place like that to go and read? looks nice and bright too! ;-)

• A S
    6 years ago
    Patrina, that is a lovely retreat...i Wouldham never thought to paint it blue but it looks fantastic...is it custom made?
  • Patrina
    6 years ago
    @ AS - No it's not custom bought online it's called the Shire Hampton Corner Summerhouse. We just made it our own.
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Thank you, I'll take a look...

It does look really good.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.