buzzmummy

Do I add a peninsula to this kitchen?

buzzmummy
6 years ago

Hello all, I need some help knowing whether this is a crazy idea or not!

See below pics of my kitchen as is... measures approx 6.5m by 4m and it is open plan into a dining area.

Basically I have 4 issues with the kitchen:

1 There is nowhere to perch while drinking coffee or for my two boys to have breakfast, or visitors to sit and chat

2 I have not any storage for cookery books which I have heaps of and love (see windowsill!)

3 I would like somewhere closer to the oven to put hot pans on when I take them out

4 The hole where the bin currently is annoys me as its where we removed a broken wine fridge.

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Thinking things over I am wondering about adding a peninsula breakfast bar to the side opposite the fridge. My inspiration is these pics:

House on Connor · More Info

Ashland Residence · More Info

So basically I would have a g-shaped run of units and then the tall units behind the peninsula part.

If I were to take out the existing end panel and the next 300mm cupboard along, and add a 600mm pull out recycling bin unit and an 800mm wide slimline open shelf unit facing towards the ovens, with an overhang of worktop above the bookshelf unit.....would this work??

I have no idea what to do about the worktop though, ideas needed on that one. Possibly simplest to just have a new bit of worktop for the breakfast bar bit? Would it look strange if this was a different worktop to the solid wood we already have? Like a white silestone or similar?

I should also say that as part of large house renovation the budget is small, so I can't change too many units round or buy very many. All walls will be painted white, I am toying with the idea of painting the cabinets F&B Pavilion grey or similar to modernize a bit. (Current cabinets are fundamentally sound just a bit tired and have a few chips / scratches from the last people's dog etc). Changing the floor too, probably to light coloured stone effect Karndean but haven't quite decided on that. Worktops will stay, but am going to strip current varnish and get back to bare oiled wood.

What do you all think? Am I mad or will this look good?!! Is there anything better I could do? Help and ideas greatly appreciated...!

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.