kwia40

Help! Struggling to uniform front of our Victorian terrace.

kwia40
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

Really would appreciate some help. We're about to renovate the facade and front garden of our house but we are struggling to choose finishes/styles and colours.

Currently the front is an awful mis-match of styles from different eras: white PVC porch plus a mix of original brickwork and modern render on the facade where the bay window has previously been removed. We want to retain as much original character as we can with sympathetic additions but space is very tight to rebuild a double brick-built porch with insulation etc.

Our builder suggested blockwork and render for the porch, with a pitched/tiled roof. He is also suggesting rendering the whole bottom half of the house with Ceresit (polished render) to tie the porch in. I'm worried about how this will look as the render is quite grainy - worried it will spoil the facade of the house even further.

The only definite decision we've made is to change the red brick front wall to a wooden picket fence, thought not sure what to do on the pub side. Also suggestions on colours for house, fencing, new door would be great as I don't have a great design eye and am struggling to see whole picture. We are on a main road so dirt shows up a lot on the current cream. Thanks so much!

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.