kimmis2

Sub zero or thermador fridge?

Kim Santagata
6 years ago

Need panel ready and selection is slim. Thought I was going with KitchenAide but, when I looked at one in person, it felt flimsy. Never planned on spending $7000 on a fridge!

Comments (36)

• jilldag
    6 years ago

Wouldn't buy a subzero, ever! I've known several people who have bought them and none are happy. We are hoping to get the new Blue star refrigerator. Good luck!

Kim Santagata thanked jilldag
  • Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This shouldn't be this hard! Was totally going to do KA panel ready, but it just doesn't feel right. Thermidor panel ready has the compressors at the bottom so the refrigerator reaches sky high. I really liked the feel and layout of the SZ, but reliability is most important. I'll check out Blue star. Thanks.

• Related Discussions

looking for an integrated fridge with a plumbed in water dispenser!?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes there is , Sub Zero IC-30RID with internal dispenser plumbed in. As an alternative, I would recommend an all in one tap with boiling and filtered water . Like Quooker ? they have free installation deal now on. or Zip? Or Just simple Triflow ?
    ...See More

American style fridge freezer vs integrated fridge freezer?

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you all for your comments and advice. Man about the House - you're correct, bigger freezer will mean I'll end up buying more food that I don't need and then freezing it and I'll never see it again! I've always had a very small fridge freezer and I think that is the reason why we hardly waste any food as we only buy what we can fit in the fridge. The final size of the room including 3m rear extension will be 7.5m long 5m wide but the kitchen part will only go up to 4m max in length ( if I go for L shape with island ) Emily - yes planning on having a modern kitchen Jonathon - my husband likes the look of them but not bothered about filtered water/ ice dispenser. I find them very narrow inside. I do like the french door style ones but again they are bulky too and very expensive!
    ...See More

Fridge drawers - help required!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Caple is a cost effective option
    ...See More

Kitchen oven question

Q

Comments (9)
    I like the look of KitchenAid but also Kuppersbusch seems innovative as they are the only Brand I know that has a grey oven, can do a white induction hob and include a catalytic converter to reduce cooking smells which must have a benefit in open plan spaces.
    ...See More
  • Kim G
    6 years ago

You can search the site for SZ - you will find many happy users. They offer 3 year warranty with certified install. I have an integrated fridge and freezer - 2 1/2 years all trouble free and work great. Very quiet which was paramount for me.

Kim Santagata thanked Kim G
  • ifoco
    6 years ago

I have a SZ side by side with water and ice on the door. First SZ installed in 2001 was a lemon. Lots of service calls. They replaced entire unit AFTER warranty was out., The second one has been running without a problem. They are expensive but when we remodel the house we just bought, it will be a SZ. Once you get used to ice and water on the door, it's hard not to have. We never had a problem with our 25 yr old Frigidaire with ice and water in the door nor with the two ZS. I am having problems with the Kitchen Aid which makes ice but refuses to dispense. In addition, the Kitchen Aid fluctuates in temperature which I am not accostomed to. SZ is the way to go IMHO

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Inga

Kim Santagata thanked ifoco
  • mcbmd3
    6 years ago
    My first SZ lasted 17 years. My second is in year 10 with zero issues.
    Kim Santagata thanked mcbmd3
  • DYH
    6 years ago

I have a Thermador panel-ready French door. I absolutely love it. Food is always a perfect temp. The freezer holds tons. The filter is easy to change. The ice is great.

That said -- because the compressors aren't at the top like a SubZero, you will need to be at least 5' 7" to reach the top shelf without standing on tiptoes. I can handle it, but I have friends who could never have this fridge.

Mine is between the two glass hutches, focal point of the kitchen. See the height of the freezer drawer is almost at countertop. That gives you context for the height of the interior top shelf. 9' kitchen ceiling.

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Exactly my concern- we are not a tall family. Thanks for your input. Your kitchen looks great by the way!

• Garderner2014
    6 years ago

I have the Integrated 24 inch subzero all frig and freezer, with panel doors 4 years now. The compressors are in the bottom. Easy to remove hidden panel at bottom to clean.

Kim Santagata thanked Garderner2014
  • athomesewing
    6 years ago

I have the SZ 42" French door. Love it, no problems to date.

Kim Santagata thanked athomesewing
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

kimmis2, I can't comment on how long they'll last lack of service issues... yet. We were in the same boat, wanted panel ready and because of the specific cubic feet capacity we needed our selection was narrowed to the 3 you've mentioned. We decided against the Kitchenaid pretty easily because it was in the same price range as Thermodor and SZ's, and the quality wasn't comparable from what we could see looking at them. We also saw the Thermodor and SZ in person, and decided on SZ because of the quality (we could see), the dual compressors, and the layout of the interiors (we looked at only side by sides). The Thermodor was a bit more in price, but our appliance guy recommended the SZ's as did the 2 other appliance people we spoke with... however, we went mostly by comments from GW'ers regarding long-lasting fridge's. We've yet to start our reno, but have paid for half the SZ.

I agree, this shouldn't be that hard - and no, we didn't intend to spend so much either! Our current fridge is a Whirlpool, about 17 years old, no issues other than the internal ice maker piping froze twice. I've owned 2 refrigerators in my life that have lasted over 15 years, so I'm not impressed when someone tells me a specific brand will last 15 years!

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have had excellent luck with my previous fridges, too. Even just shopping now, I can't believe the difference in how solid my Kenmore feels compared to other choices out there. Never had a single problem.

Thanks for all the help. I think it will be a SZ for us.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I have a SZ fridge with separate freezer drawers. Zero issues and I love it.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    My refrigerator (no freezer).
  • sherri1058
    6 years ago

Before you eliminate the Thermador as an option you should go and take a look at them in person. I am 5'3" and I have no problem reaching the back of the top shelf of the Thermador.

• DYH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sherri1058 -- is yours a French door Thermador with bottom freezer? My friends have trouble reaching that top shelf in mine. 2015 model

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That could be the difference. We are looking at the French door one.

• User
    6 years ago

We went with a 36 in SZ French door/bottom freezer 2 years ago, have had no issues. We looked at many other French doors and wound up with the SZ because it saved 9 inches of space to open the bottom freezer. We put an island in when we remodeled and the SZ was the only one that would give us plenty of walking and door-opening room without whacking to the island. We weren't planning on spending that kind of $$$ either but now are very glad we did. I find food stays immensely fresher also with the way the French doors seal.

Kim Santagata thanked User
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

For you SZ owners I've a question please: Do you find the door(s) hard to open?

We are going with a side by side because I freeze a lot and prefer not to dig through the bottom freezer... I realize this makes the single fridge door bigger, plus we are going with the 28.3 cu ft (18.8 for the fridge only). I was told they can be hard to open. We did test a fully stocked model (same as the one we've pre-ordered) with the door full of soda bottles and I found it was heavy but ok for me. I do understand it has a tight seal and to wait a moment if I have to open it a second time (also tested this with the floor model).

• dmpsd
    6 years ago

We also have the Thermador French Door fridge/freezer. I am 5'2" and the height of the top shelf has not been a problem for me. We store cartons of milk (soy, lactose free, regular)/oj/etc. up there and it is not a problem to grab them. One negative about the Thermador is that the shelves are very shallow (even for a built in fridge) to allow room for the shelves on the door. But because of the way the shelves on the door are designed, not much fits in them, so to me it feels like the space in the fridge is somewhat limited. (Look at the door shelves in the Thermador fridge with the single door on top and freezer drawer on bottom. It is amazing how much more they hold!)

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for that thought!

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

kimmis2 - While I am not seeking a French door necessarily, I could have written the rest of your original post. We had no intention of considering buying anything as expensive as a SZ but it suddenly now seems to be our main contender. A real kick to the wallet coming from a 17 year old KA that came with our house and has had no problems.

I was afraid SZ, or any counter depth, would not have the capacity I need when we entertain or when I do volunteer cooking for a homeless shelter. I brought my honking huge pans and trays to the appliances store and the SZ fit everything the best. And, it seems far sturdier than the KA or the Thermador, which felt like they belonged in a child's play kitchen. I also brought a measuring tape and measured tons of interior dimensions of all fridges and the Thermador shelves were much more shallow.

I don't remember the model numbers, but one of the SZ (and the Leiber) were very hard for me to reach the top shelf and I am almost 5'8! The other SZ model was just the perfect size.

• DYH
    6 years ago

Maybe it's the configuration of my top shelf? Thermador French door.

I can't imagine having that middle shelf with less height, but now I think it's shelf arrangement, after reading these comments on the same fridge.

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This was very helpful. Thanks. We are going with the 36" French Door. On a daily basis, it is just my husband and I and we have been "practicing" the smaller space in our current regular depth FD. In the basement, we have full depth one for the times we entertain and willed larger. I like the visual of the compressors on top. The Thermidor's compressors being on the bottom, made the fridge side look too tall, and therefore, a bit contemporary for our primitive home. One complaint I heard a lot about one of the panel ready KAs was that there was a 2" space at the back of the shelves. Not only did that reduce actual shelf space, but stuff fell through easily. Thanks again! Everybody's input is helping us be more comfortable about spending the $$.

• Caroline Hamilton
    6 years ago

I have the 36" SZ French Door. Love it! I too was worried that it would be too small (we entertain frequently) and it is not. I love how many configurations you can put the shelves in and I have no trouble storing large platters / trays. It is also built like a tank. Nothing flimsy there! Also produce stays fresh for weeks, I usually throw it out first.

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just committed to the 36" SZ French Door. Thanks everyone!

• jt fields
    6 years ago

Congrats on your SZ. Ours lasted 20 years before the refrigerator compressor went out. Easily repairable but expensive to repair, you can almost buy a top-of-the-line "regular" refrigerator for the price of repairing the SZ. But that's a cost you accept when opting for a high end built-in refrigerator. One intangible bonus with SZ, it's a family owned company and the last refrigerator brand made in America.

Kim Santagata thanked jt fields
  • jjyunk01
    5 years ago
    athomesewing

Are you still happy with your SZ French door?

This is the one we are considering

Thanks!
  • Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am definitely happy with it, but I'm not sure if its worth all the extra money. We needed a paneled counter depth so that kind of dictated it for us. Don't see it keeping my produce any fresher and my ice cream is never really hard. It is pretty sturdy and I think it does feel like a well built product. I loved my LG and would not have replaced it but it didn't fit the design.

• PRO
    R E V E A L LLC
    3 years ago

Hi Kim! Are you still happy with it? Any problems? It’s a bummer you didn’t notice any tangible difference in food freshness!

I’m about to commit to the SZ 42” French door. I’m also reluctant to go this route but three years in, “regular” fridges seem even flimsier than before and the negative reviews are REALLY negative, even for highly rated models. Any thoughts are appreciated!

• Kim Santagata
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am happy with it. And I think that I do see it keeping food fresh a bit longer now. Be prepared for less depth, but that's not a huge problem for us. We have a small full depth fridge in the basement if we really need to fit that huge pan or pizza box. Makes lots of good tasting ice. Freezer storage is adequate, but I do use the freezer in the secondary fridge, too and so it's perfect for us. It feels really well made especially compared to some of the new fridges my friends and family have recently purchased. If you can feel enjoyment when using an appliance, I think I do with this one lol. All in all I'd buy it again. Good luck.

• PRO
    R E V E A L LLC
    3 years ago

Thank you so much, Kim! That’s nice to hear you’re getting enjoyment out of it!

• mbjm17
    3 years ago

Hi - anyone have recent insight to the Thermidor top fridge/bottom freezer (36"). We looked at Thermidor, Miele and SZ. I know the reputation of SZ but we were unimpressed with it as it really looked like every fridge i have ever had (meaning older interior, cheap looking). TIA folks!

• sunfeather
    3 years ago

Kendrah, what SZ did you purchase?

• camiletea21
    3 years ago

Hi,

If you're near the Illinois area, best buy appliance outlet in burbank,il is overstocked on thermadors. They are pretty heavily discounted on their appliances, and have a lot of wine coolers and refrigerator units. If you ever need parts I recommend going there.

Here is the email to my guy that works there: A1545127@bestbuy.com.

• T L
    2 years ago

I personally think that Thermador makes better looking fridges. The Sub Zero drawers remind me of drugstore acrylic makeup drawers. Its just aesthetic though.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.