suegoord

What colour rug/s and furniture

suegoord
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have recently had distressed oak Karndean (greyish/beige colour) flooring fitted. The apartments' lounge is approx 21' x 23'. It looks rather empty if I push the sofas closer together, although that is much more homely.

I thought of putting a (black & white, grey or cream)

under the coffee table and perhaps under the dining table. What colour would you choose for each?

I would appreciate any advice on styles of rugs, side tables or any other ideas you may have please.

MANY THANKS.

Sue

Comments (31)

• suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry the dimensions are 33' x 23' Thank you!

• Related Discussions

What colour furniture would go with this Bed ? tips

Q

Comments (1)
    yes, bown nightstand will be ideal - maybe some rustic shade of mexican pine? If your floor if light brown, and a rug is cream, go for darker / medium brown to create a nice accent.
    ...See More

What’s the colour of your living room rug?

Q

Comments (2)
    Similar to above, (lots of blue/green/maroon/off white) over woodblock
    ...See More

kitchen furniture/lighting/rug ideas please

Q

Comments (41)
    It's a tough one, leather may be a safer option. What do you think of this rug with it, might also go nicely with the first rust stool I posted (the stool also comes with black legs)? West elm have a sale on ATM, think it's 20% off if you spend £500 and 30% off > £1000 so might be worth a look, not sure when the sale ends as it's been on a few days
    ...See More

Which rug and furniture to go with small open living room sofa?

Q

Comments (1)
    What a gorgeous sofa, good choice. I think you could go either way. That is calm neutral shades like your first rug, or a bit spicier with the gold one. Blue and gold are always a good look. As to the coffee table, don’t panic yet. I think it would fit in better with calmer neutrals rather than the gold. The gold rug would suit a table like that morrocan brass one you have in the corner, it’s lovely. Now to throw a spanner in the works, how about a Persian style rug? It would really suit your room. It’s just a suggestion, and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love that vintage eclectic look. The red ones look amazing with blue.
    ...See More
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you very much for the plans shown. It really helps to visualise from a floor plan. I will take a look at Persian rugs too.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi. It's a beautiful room. I'd also go for Persian or kilim style rugs. I'm not sure if you want colour or to go neutral. I'd pick up more of the brown (?) from the dining chairs for cushions (the black cushions in the 6th pic come in a bronze colour but couldn't find a pic) and would pair these with just one small rectangular cushion in a burnt orange on each sofa. You don't have any ideabooks set up but can see you like shagreen hence the console pictured! I would play with the layout. Perhaps have the tv in the right alcove and pull the left sofa back so it's not blocking the fire. You could try the sideboard on the wall opposite the fire and have the chair angled next to it. The dining table looks as if it can go under the pendant light? A couple of large plants will feel the space and look great. I'd also add table lamps and a floor lamp. If you like any ideas I will look for some to complement (hopefully anyway!)

suegoord thanked minnie101
  • wendy_saunt45
    6 years ago

Hi Sue. What a lovely big room that is!

The two design issues you have are 1) that the furniture ‘floats’ around it, and 2) a room that size decorated in neutral palette can look flat.

You mention that you think it feels a little empty, so I think getting a very large rug to go under the sitting area would be a great way to zone the room and ground the furniture. Similarly, a statement pendant light over the dining table would help establish the dining area.

If you want to make it seem more homely, add texture - as well as the rug, think cushions, throws, table lights (with warm-coloured light bulbs) and plants. Something like an arc light would help group the sitting area.

As for colour, you could choose a rug with colour in it and pair that with the cushions/lights, etc, and make the whole scheme more colourful. I would go with warm but muted tones - burnt orange, brick, a soft teal, etc.

Or you could stay neutral with a plain or subtly patterned rug (you don’t want the pattern to fight with the flooring), and inject colour in the other elements. It looks like you have a strong leaning towards neutrals so perhaps this is a better option for you - just add an accent colour, and texture and layers.

suegoord thanked wendy_saunt45
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Many thanks for all your advice. I have uploaded photos of rugs and side tables. I think Persian and Kilim may be too colourful, but I am going to keep looking at different websites. I love the console table. Do you have the name of the stockist please Minnie101? I'm also checking out brighter cushions and lighting as suggested. The walls are Farrow and Ball steel white, so look white during the day and light grey at night.

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    Here’s a few examples of Persian rugs used in a more modern setting. Many of these rugs are quite colourful which isn’t for everyone, so I have included a faded gold one. Handmade Persian rugs are expensive (it can take 4 months for a craftsman to make one!), but there are some good copies about made by machine which are much cheaper. Looking at your room, it really does need a bit of colour. Choose a colour you love for the rug, cushions and throws and it will immediately feel cosier. I got my Persian rug from a John Lewis but there are some great oriental rug sellers around and online. Happy hunting!
    suegoord thanked Sonia
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I can see the beauty of a Persian rug. I need to be more adventurous!!! Thank you for these examples.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi Sue. Here's the link to the console table.

https://shrops-design.co.uk/products/monroe-console-table?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=16649291460&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMDTBRDDARIsABX4AWw1E_dAEJxq8p1SZAL1O_z5viCYFM92yOAuLL2yOi-8ofUPv8UINLAaAq4LEALw_wcB

have you also seen this CK rug? It's part of the same range and colours are described as brown, grey and ivory

Neutral modern Persian rug is from the french bedroom company

suegoord thanked minnie101
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

I can see you want something a bit more modern. What about this Louis de poortere rug (I think you have one in your ideabook), it just has a smidge of colour (which hopefully wouldn't all be covered by the coffee table!). Another idea for a side table is this one from westelm, it would tie in your wooden furniture and brass legs of the console

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    Suegoord Persian rugs are not everyone’s cup of tea - you either love them or hate them, rather like marmite! If you prefer a subtle more neutral look then that is what you should go for. I envy that lovely big room you have, by the way!
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for all of this advice. Houzz is a brilliant site!!!!

I love the rug you have suggested. This is a beautiful one that I have found. Well over budget but am seriously considering it. Do you think its too busy?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

I think rug looks good.

You also can place sofa table behind of sofa with lamps or side console/tables.

suegoord thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • suebraddick
    6 years ago

Thank you so much. How did you manage to super impose the rug? I love the lamp. Where can I get that? I will try the coffee table behind the sofa as we have a large empty void in that part of the room. Great ideas from everyone. Thank you!!

• User
    6 years ago

Suegoord do you mind if I ask where that lovely rug is from? :) Thank you!

• suebraddick
    6 years ago

Hi. I haven’t purchased it yet! Still undecided. The most helpful and best price is an online company called Love-rugs. They sent me a lovely email with lots of choices. Never used them before but were very professional.

• suebraddick
    6 years ago

It’s called Persian Empire PE26

• User
    6 years ago

Oh thats good, I have actually used Love Rugs! They have a shop in Glasgow and the guys are lovely, really helpful. They let me take a sample book home before I chose my living room rug, which actually happens to be the one that Minnie101 has posted on this thread (the one with gold/grey on her post of 11.59am wednesday). :)

suegoord thanked User
  • kikiamack
    6 years ago
    Check out CarpetVista.com as well. They’ve still got their winter sale on. They’ve got masses of choice of both modern and Persian rugs. I ordered from them in the New Year and the rug was very true to the picture and extremely high quality. I was a bit sceptical at first as they’re based in Sweden not the UK, but everything was absolutely fine with the whole order and delivery process.
    suegoord thanked kikiamack
  • Penny Daw
    6 years ago
    If you fancy something more neutral then have a look at some of the large IKEA rugs. They are inexpensive so you wouldn’t have to spend a fortune.
    suegoord thanked Penny Daw
  • Ellie
    6 years ago
    You have a lovely fireplace, but your pic shows the TV is the focal point. I would rearrange the room so the fireplace is the feature. Sofas all rotated 90degrees anticlockwise, TV in corner. Give it a go
    suegoord thanked Ellie
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have now purchased a black/grey Persian rug but feel it totally dominates the room.

Our apartment overlooks the sea, so maybe I should be looking at a blue/grey rug? Our furniture is oak, with beige leather sofas and chair.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Ellie
    6 years ago

Its lovely, but I still think you need to make the fireplace the feature and not the tv. Our lounge is smaller but we have tv opposite fireplace. Sofas in between

suegoord thanked Ellie
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Ellie, Many thanks again for your advice. The tv was originally put on the wall in-between our balcony doors as the sunlight streams in and it's difficult to see the picture. Also, the wiring is all under the flooring so it would be a huge job and need redecorating too.

I have to keep the furniture but I'm really unsure about this Persian rug. I can change it but I don't know what type, and colour, of rug to go for that won't clash with the Karndean.

The rug that I have bought is black/grey and 300cm x 400cm which allows the furniture to be placed on top, I'm looking for the same size.

• User
    6 years ago
    I think you could make that rug work, it appears dominant because it looks like a solid dark colour but a coffee table or ottoman would help break it up.

I do think you could find something better if you can face hassle of returning it though. I think something with more pattern would be nice. Did you see the one below on Love Rugs? There are also some lovely ones with blue detail that would look great but I've assumed you want neutral?

https://www.love-rugs.com/rugs/louis-de-poortere-bobohemian-8915-black-russian-2684?cnt=51
  • User
    6 years ago
    Also I still think your original choice from further up this thread would look lovely! :)
  • suebraddick
    6 years ago

Many thanks for your advice and different choices in rugs. My husband loves the rug, and it would be a hassle to return, but I’m not convinced about it. I’m going to move the coffee table onto it and then see.

• User
    6 years ago
    Keep it for as long as you can so that you can live with it a bit. I had exactly the same feeling with so many things when I was decorating and often it just took a few days for me to get used to. The rug definitely does work so it wouldn't be a mistake to keep it and I'm sure that when all other finishing touches are done you'll love I it! I also imagine it probably looks less solid in person but the photo doesn't really show the detail - is it the Louis de poortere faded world?

Good luck!
    suegoord thanked User
  • Penny Daw
    6 years ago
    I think the rug looks great. Try putting a coffee table in the middle or have a couple of side tables next to the settees with lamps on which could soften the effect. Also, you could add cushions in various colours to add warmth.
    suegoord thanked Penny Daw
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    I think you feel it looks too solid is because you haven’t followed through with the rest of the room, for example cushions to tie in with it. Further up these comments minnie101 has suggested some black patterned cushions which i think would lift the scheme, however if you really don’t like it then follow your heart and return it. Why keep something you don’t like? Then choose a colour-way that you prefer, such as the blue you suggested. A blue coastal theme would tie in nicely with the neutral theme you have at the moment.

By the way, i got a Turkish rug from Olney Carpets in Bucks, and they let us take it home for a week to see if we liked it before buying! True service, and yes we did buy it! Of course buying online does give you that option too. I wish you lots of luck.
    suegoord thanked Sonia
  • suegoord
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your comments. The rug that I have bought is from irugs, an online company. It came from the USA. It does have some pattern.

I have ordered a granite side table, 2 plant stands and a console table from Lombok. Hopefully this will bring things together. Cushions will make a big difference too.

Watch this space!!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.