lou_stainforth

Living room inspiration

Lou Stainforth
6 years ago

Hello, I am wanting some advice on how best to lay out the furniture in my living room? I will be replacing the sofas soon and had been trying to decide between a tan leather one or a grey one. Was thinking 2x 2 seaters and positioning them under the window and opposite the window. What are people’s thoughts on this please? considering mounting the tv on the bare wall opposite the fire.

Also, I am looking to redecorate it and really like the dark blue tones, but my living room is north facing. Do you think navy blue could work? I would love some advise on what kind of rug and curtains would look good with this style.

Thanks for reading

Louise

Comments (39)

• Ali Dolphin
    6 years ago

When you walk in you are confined by the path of the back of the sofa so your natural instinct is to feel that the room is small.

The room doesn't give you many options for layout choices. But you could make better use of the space as the ceilings are tall.

By moving the TV to above the fireplace you can accommodate more storage in the recess and maximum floor to ceiling height cupboards, bookcases etc.

I have attached a sample drawing, if this helps.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Hi, what are the dimensions of your room?

• Related Discussions

First home! Living room...

Q

Comments (13)
    Congratulations, a really exciting time. At the moment your head will be racing and you will have so many ideas. I think you should make yourself a mood board of anything you see and like ( any scrap of paper from magazines to fabric or to photos you can snap on your phone). Sit down on a quiet night and close your eyes and feel the room and imagine what you can see open your eyes. have a drink of your choice and then start writing and looking at your board and this will help with what you would like to see in your room. This normally helps when you really are unsure. Enjoy.
    ...See More

Country Living Room Inspiration

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Sarah. It's quite hard to find country style rooms with a navy sofa (but it will work). This is about the closest I could get. Navy and white are lovely but can be quite cold together. I wouldn't be afraid to mix a couple of colours (choose some warm ones so shades of pink, yellow, orange and warm green) and patterns. I would also focus on texture so some wooden furniture, textured throws, different fabrics, materials etc for accessories, also add table lamps and good faux flowers. Laura ashley may be an obvious start for furniture, they seem to permanently have a sale on. Oka and india Jane have a fair bit of oriental influenced pieces but are quintessentially English style so you could look there but they're not a bargain! Oka's faux flowers are good and they also have some apricot cushions you may like. I'd also try swoon editions, they may have some suitable things. Why not set up an ideabook of what you like and people can help with more specific choices
    ...See More

Living Room Inspiration

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Chris, you could wallpaper those walls by your dining room table, or the whole section around your bay window - this would end up almost "framing" this section, and thereby creating a focal point in the room. If you like, check out some of our designs and then email us some pics of each of these walls, and we will provide you a photoshopped image of what your wall could like with your favourite Robin Sprong Wallpaper on it! It might help you make a decision and see if wallpaper may help you solve your problem. Our email is info@robinsprong.com.
    ...See More

Semi-sunken living room or Kitchen in extension?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, firstly if you like the kitchen island, re-consider the spatial arrangement and centre your design around that. [where there is a will, there is always a way]. Option 1 has a good flow. If you have access to the property, go & tape the layouts up to test how it feels. Love your design precedents! Hope that helps a little. Message me if you'd like more advice. mMx
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Wolfe Interiors
    6 years ago

Hi, the layout idea from alidolphin89 looks like a good option to me, although be aware that the TV should ideally be at eye level. That could be achieved by keeping the TV in the alcove where it currently is on a media unit and having a sofa against the wall where you currently have the pink bus canvas and having an occasional chair/armchair at the window end of the room angled in towards the TV, as long as that provides enough seating for you. (See VERY rough sketch below!) You really are quite limited as to layout, but I would probably avoid using the bare wall for the TV as you want the focus of the room to be on the fireplace wall. With the sofa removed from where it is at the moment you would free up space to use the bare wall for some of your storage furniture. As for colours, I think the dark colours would work in your room as the lack of natural light can make light wall colours appear dull, so it would actually make the room feel very cosy and homely. I would recommend getting floor length curtains, nothing too fussy, and centre the room with a nice rug and coffee table. Have you looked at La Redoute or Swoon Editions for rugs? They do some that look great with dark walls..

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, thank you all for replying, I really do appreciate all the expert advice.

Yes, a lot of people who I’ve mentioned having dark walls to have said how small my room already feels and that the dark colour would make it feel even darker. It actually measures 4.2m by 3.8m (into the alcoves). The ceilings are about 2.8m.

I like the idea of integrated units, as you can see, I am definitely lacking in storage. Would you paint them the same blue as the wall? Would you just paint the chimney breast wall or all 4 walls?

Im not keen on the idea of the tv above the fire place as I do feel it would be too high up. That’s why I was wondering about the wall opposite the fire.

Weve had the 3 seater sofa on the wall with the bus canvas before and struggled to see the tv from the side nearest the alcove, but I suppose we could move the tv out more with the coffee table being moved to the middle of the room.

Do you think I would need a new floor putting down to pull of the dark wall?

My radiator is on the window wall, would long curtains not stop the heat circulating?

The rugs on swoon editions are amazing, a little out of my measly budget though.

Thanks again

Louise

• PRO
    Wolfe Interiors
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Louise, I don't see a need for you to replace your flooring to be honest, especially if your budget is tight. It is neutral, and when you have a larger centralised rug it will be fine! The rugs on Swoon can be a bit pricey, its good to look though for ideas of what you're wanting as most of the time there is more affordable alternatives elsewhere.. try Wayfair or Ikea maybe.

If you like the dark inky blue colours, painting the whole chimney breast wall in the dark colour and the other walls in a neural tone will prevent the room feeling smaller and you will still achieve the look you are after. I would definitely paint the area between your fire and surround in a different colour to the rest of the wall though, to give the illusion of it having a surround (I hope that made sense!!)

I did notice the radiator under the window, I suppose that depends on how warm/cold the room is and whether you need full heat from it when you draw your curtains. If you do need the heat, I'd recommend going for a roman blind.

You could have the TV hung at eye level on a hinged wall bracket to angle it towards the sofa against the back wall for easier viewing..

I hope that helps, feel free to get in touch with me directly!

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Hi, here's my 2 cents: I think that if you have cabinets in the alcoves that are slightly tall (Ikea is a good source for those and also for rugs) and pick sofas that have lower arm rests, you could do something like in the enclosed floor plans with the TV on one of those cabinets.

I would place a sideboard on the wall opposite the fire. If you choose the photos you love the most, have them printed on canvas or frame them all in the same frames but different sizes perhaps, you can make a gallery wall above the sideboard.

I would paint all the walls a soft grey or off-white and the alcoves navy and choose grey sofas that are on legs and slim lined.

Basement Remodel · More Info

• Emmanuelle
    6 years ago
    Hello Lou! Would definitely have cupboards in the alcoves, all the way to the ceiling, the one on the left with your tv. A small sofa and two small armchairs would be nice... it depends how you use the room: do children relax there too? Do they play here?
    I have my sitting room all painted dark blue (and all wood work!) and it’s north facing: I love it, and it’s not a massive room either! Your room will seem more spacious when you have more storage and there are less things laying around!
    Ps: I love Carolina ‘s idea of a sideboard on that wall: nice to display special objects/ light, it’s super practical, and this would create a lovely entrance!
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Also, you could keep the curtain at that length for the windor, or go for a Roman blind and a curtain that goes from the floor to above the window to cut out drafts (I'm assuming that's why you have the curtain at the front door?)

• Carolina
    6 years ago

With the entire wall painted dark blue. I like that too.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Only alcoves painted

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, it really helps to see it in a plan like that! Thank you Carolina!

I like it with the chimney breast and both alcoves painted. Would you suggest painting the bit between the fire and mantel black? And keeping the mantel white?

The room is fairly cool, although we have recently had the windows and doors replaced so there is no longer a draft as such. I just feel it’s more cosy with the curtain above the door. Would you go neutral with the curtains/blinds?

Yes, the room is used for children playing and adults relaxing in the evening. So a 3 seater and chair should suffice, plus a poof as seen in one of the plans too maybe.

The colours I’ve been toying with are stiffkey blue and Hague blue. I will be going to Ikea next week so will see what sofas and rugs they have there. Do you think I could add rose gold accessories to the room?

Thanks again

Lou

• E D
    6 years ago
    Lou, perhaps it's the photos (they seem a bit 'stretched'), but is your ceiling actually 2.80 high? It looks somewhat lower.
    I like what Carolina has done albeit the TV seems a little too high for comfortable viewing.
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    If you are going to IKEA have a look at ceiling mounted curtains tracks. You could install it above the doors and windows in one line and hang same curtains for both windows and door but different lengths, that way it would look less busy. Definitely paint one wall darker like midnight blue if you want to use rose gold in the room. I would repaint other walls in complimentary light grey to keep neutral background. TV would look good opposite windows with 3 seater brown sofa and couple of armchair that you can move around as needed.
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    Instead of classic armchair you could add couple Acapulco chairs
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Forgot to mention that I couldn't amend the height of the cabinet in the floor plan, so E D is right, TV is up too high.

Kingston upon Thames, Surrey · More Info

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Here's another option. Used the size of the 3-seater Ikea Stocksund sofa this time. The previous were 2-seater sofas. You could maybe use your current furniture to try out how practical it is to have the sofa all the way up to the wall?

• PRO
    Wolfe Interiors
    6 years ago

If you like the dark inky colours Hague blue is very deep and rich. Stiff Key blue is a more definite ‘blue’ so it depends what look you are after. (First picture Hague blue, next one stiff key blue)

Have a look at these pics of possible colours. The fabric is linen (very reasonable price). I would be tempted to not have a curtain at the door if it doesn’t serve a purpose to create a cleaner, less fussy feel to that end of the room.

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hiya, I have just measured the height, and you are right, it is 2.7m tall.

Thank you, will have a look at ceiling mounted curtain tracks whilst I’m there. I love those chairs! Will see if there’s anything similar in IKEA.

We have had our current 3 seater sofa up against that back wall previously and did like the lay out so that is something we could revert back to. I do think I prefer the long sideboard on that wall though.

at the moment I’m swaying towards Haque blue as it is darker which is what I wanted.

Thanks again for all your input, will post again when I have done something in the room

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    Acapulco chair you can find on line or if you have K mart not Ikea.
  • Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, please ignore the mess, just thought I’d update you and ask a bit more advice plz.

So I looked into having fitted shelves and cupboards in the alcoves, unfortunately my budget won’t stretch that far. Do you think 3 floating white shelves would look ok? With a unit underneath?

Do you think there is enough blue? I am now thinking I should also paint in the alcoves blue?

Do you think the oak coloured furniture matches? And what bright colour could I add? Thanks

• E D
    6 years ago
    Looking lovely. I would agree though, it will look even better painting the alcoves (so basically that whole wall) the same lively colour.

Btw, I now see why I judged your ceiling to be lower than it is, on my iPad Houzz app the photos look stretched making them look wide, but low. Have now seen the undistorted photos.

Looking good!

What are you looking to colour 'bright'?
  • Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ed, it looks stretched on mine too!!

My partner is unsure about painting the alocoves but I really want to!!

The bright colours I’ve seen are ochre and emerald and amethyst, what u reckon?

• E D
    6 years ago
    Sure, but what do you want to paint in those colours?
    Other walls?
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Hi Lou,

It looks so much better than the red! Really nice.

I agree with E D, what do you want to use a bright colour for? Is it for accessories? I think it depends on what you're going to do with furniture. Weren't you thinking of getting a new sofa?

How wide and deep are the niches? Maybe you can find cabinets that will fit in them at Ikea? Look at Besta for example, but also at their kitchen cabinets. They are very reasonably priced and come in different depths. Who says they should only go in kitchens? I've seen sideboards made from Ikea kitchen wall units. Looks fabulous!

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, I’m really pleased with it so far. It was bright pink before, it does look red in the photos though.

Yes, I did mean for accessories, cushions and throws etc. I had been looking at an Ikea hacks website and saw they used kitchen cabinets to make a lovely sideboards. The alcoves are both different sizes, the one with the TV in it is 52inches wide and 20inches deep, the other is 42inches wide and 19inches deep.

I am getting a new sofa, I have narrowed it down to 3 from Ikea, I will post them and see what you think.

Going to get on

with painting the alcoves now whilst he’s at work

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Lol... surprise! when he gets home ;-) I like all sofas. Depends on what's most comfortable and do double check sizes! You can use (news)paper and sticky tape to create the actual size of the sofa and place that on the floor. You'll get a good idea of how much space it will take up.

Lou Stainforth thanked Carolina
  • Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know haha, he’ll love it. It looks soooooooo much better, I’ll send another pic when I’ve tidied a bit.

I managed to try them all out in Ikea earlier in the week, the stocksund arms are a little too low I think. I’m swaying towards the first one too.

Thats a fantastic idea, I will try that later on.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Low arms might be good if you want to place the TV in a niche and two sofas opposite each other. If you're going for your initial plan to place TV opposite fireplace, it doesn't matter as much.

And perhaps whether there's a loose cover available for the sofa? I'm not sure whether any of them have that option. Might be practical with kids.

Whichever sofa you'll go for, you'll love the transformation of your room! Losing the very bulky and dark coloured furniture will make such a difference.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

I'm just looking at the Ikea website and their Eket system would be a good one for the smaller niche. They are all 35 cm x 35 cm (sorry, I'm metric), so you could make a cabinet that's 105 x 35 cm and that niche is about 106 x 48 cm (if I'm correct). And it'll be about 95 pounds for white cabinets with doors, on a plinth. Would be so nice with a couple of floating shelves above. But then we're left with the other niche (132 cm wide). Grumble. So this is probably all useless information ;-)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k=eket&N=0&No=24&Nr=AND%28content.type%3Ap%2Csku.browsable%3A1%29&summary=true

• Carolina
    6 years ago

But since I'm hopeless with numbers and conversions, I might be wrong! There's always hope.

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for that Carolina, that unit looks perfect, although I’m wondering if I can get away with keeping oak furniture and swapping the white floating shelves for oak?

I have positioned my old sofa against the back wall, it is at least 3 inches wider than any of the ones I’d shortlisted from Ikea. I think it looks good there.

I am going to leave the tv where it is for now, the unit it stands on is 120cm wide and fits nicely into the space, I think the same range can be built higher and in white, so that might be an option.

I have taken down the curtain by the door and feel the room is brighter and bigger without it, plus no drafts.

Any thoughts on lighting? I have seen a few copper lights I quite like

• E D
    6 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't stick to oak colour shelving etc. I have a feeling you might prefer that over white, because it's warmer (?).

And yes keep the TV unit. At least for the time being

You could think of one or two (floating) shelves above the TV. Maybe?

Will you re-install your fire surround?

When you position your sofa back to the wall, is it not in the way of your exterior door? Or am I confused about your layout?

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In both photos I am stood at the exterior door. So next to the sofa is the interior door.

I was wondering about opening up the fireplace but the opening is a little off centre. But my plans for now are to reinstall the surround.

I have been looking at ochre and light pink accessories, what are your thoughts on those?

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Ochre would go well. And the oak looks great against the blue. What did your husband think about the blue niches? I think it looks fabulous.

• Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yep, he loves them thankfully, knew he would hehe. I bought some ochre things in Ikea but I’m not sure I like them on their own, going to look at some bright jewel colours and try those.

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    I think you have so much going on already, with the colourful rug, toys and photos. Are you sure you want to add more colour?
    Lou Stainforth thanked Carolina
  • Lou Stainforth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The rug will be replaced ASAP, I’m just trying to find one I love. I had seen a few on the Ikea website but when I looked in store they were an awful material.

Not sure where else I could look for a similar one. If I can’t find one I will get a chevron one similar to this

Also, I will be having some sort of cabinet on the wall opposite the fire and will have a photo gallery above this.

Everything that is coloured I will spray copper, black or white, or get rid of completely.

Seen some gorgeous geometric cushions on the Zara home website and in Tesco that I may try.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.