noviceatthis

Need to refurb unsafe stairs... glass or these spindles shown on BBC2?

design novice
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello lovely Houzzers

These stairs are very non health and safety and I need to sort them out once and for all! I toyed with the idea of a new staircase until I got the quotes!

I am now thinking of refurbing them and adding the very necessary handrail and also backs to the stairs so I can have a cupboard underneath. I will then carpet them. The decor in the house is quite modern and white doors etc so I was thinking of mainly a white stairs with oak handrail

I was thinking of glass as the hallway is quite narrow. Please see the second picture of a design which I like.

I thought spindles may look a little busy for the space until I was watching the Interior Design Challenge show and saw some very attractive spindles which I have never seen before! Does anyone know how easy it would be for a carpenter to make these or can they be supplied in kit form?

The photos show the staircase in white before it was renovated on the programme in grey, I am not sure if the grey one is actually metal and I would prefer wood. I prefer the white design anyway!

Finally which look do you think would be the best option? I am all ears and very grateful to you for reading my post. Any advice would be so welcome :-)

Comments (8)

• A B
    6 years ago

I would continue the design of the rails (at the top) all the way down. The grey example seems overly intricate for your space to me.

design novice thanked A B
  • design novice
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Riverside, it is a tough call between spindles and glass! Thank you Jen P I take your point and it is a very narrow hallway! So is your vote def for spindles rather than glass?

• A S
    6 years ago
    I think glass would look lovely.
    design novice thanked A S
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I agree with Jen and have a continuation of what you have further up. It looks right. I wouldn't box them in either, they look so airy and light.

design novice thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    These stairs are going to need some serious reengineering to accommodate a banister and spindle and it might be more economic to replace the whole lot.

https://www.stairworld.co.uk/staircasebuilder/?type=single

When it comes to balustrade I prefer spindles because I think that the glass option is very contemporary and fits uncomfortably in most houses.
    design novice thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Bespoke Frameless Glass ltd
    5 years ago

Just seen this post and as a glass company would like to offer some inspiration and advice with the current staircase as it is with the open threads I would be keen to recommend a stand off fixed balustrade with or without a handrail its really your decision, see the below photo of a job we did with stand offs fixings and a matching stainless steel handrail.

If you were to reconfigure the stairs there are other options such as balustrade clamps or baserail fitting as per below photos.

Hope this help, unsure of your location but if its within Bristol, bath or Gloucester give us a call.

Thanks BFG.

• PRO
    Bespoke Frameless Glass ltd
    5 years ago

Grace, we will be happy to help with any renovation work that involves balustrades, staircases, splashbacks, glass doors and shower enclosures. Thanks Bespoke Frameless Glass

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.