lmuhrich

If this was your kitchen ....what would you do first??

lmuhrich
5 years ago

Comments (174)

• Hansen
    5 years ago

My new fav color is sea salt green for the walls. And a darker shade of green for the island, while leaving the rest of the cabinets natural. Green looks great with natural wood. Add 3 pendant clear globes above island. I'll see if I can find pix. Groveraxle can you show example with 3 pendants over island?

• Hansen
    5 years ago

Examples

• Related Discussions

where do you store what in your kitchen?

Q

Comments (2)
    like keeping colourful kitchen items like olive oils and fruits out on display, and like hanging the odd utensil or two! Otherwise, I'm guilty of shoving a lot of things in the cupboard...
    ...See More

What catches your eye first in this rustic kitchen?

Q

Comments (2)
    i like all of it... especially the window area.. as above need finishing a but.. lovely jug of flowers. a normal nic_nacks... every kitchen has... these should soften the wood area..
    ...See More

What would you do to this new kitchen look less retro?!

Q

Comments (18)
    Yes, the view was definitely a selling point!! It’s a very special building and a dream come true for us, so it’s important for me that I don’t screw up the interior decor. ........my sleepy bedtime head is thinking about pulling the cream oven out, replacing with the copper oven, painting the bottom units black (I never usually ‘do’ black), using a dark wood countertop and finishing with antiqued mirror splash back and a copper tap. Oh boy....these minor modifications are getting pretty major...
    ...See More

What would you do with this opening in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (20)
    A big thank you all for your ideas and inspiration. I'm going to explore the idea of a flush, push to open door first as I think this enables me to keep the storage but meets my need to hide the clutter and keep clean lines. And yes the wall cupboard at the end is definitely going, there will be no wall level units on the entire run as I have full height larders on the wall opposite. Whilst I like the idea of using the alcove to display my "nicer" things I don't really have a selection of beautiful crockery to show off and I feel like I would end up buying stuff just to fill the space or the clutter would naturally migrate there!! Also the "window" on the other side used to be a window but is now an opening into a dining room extension so there is no way to really balance this with the alcove.
    ...See More
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just thought I would update. Found a rug that helps me!! loving my kitchen now I know it is dated but dont want to spend the money to change the countertops at this point . Cost of living is high enough in Seattle! I am in process of changing out LED undercabinet too

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you for all your help along the two year process

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Please remember this is where I started!

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

It looks great. What all did you do? Flooring and hardware. The house we bought last year has knotty hickory cabinets. Even more contrast than yours. I wasn't crazy about them to begin with but have grown to love them. Wouldn't have been my choice but it's a great choice for our montana home.

lmuhrich thanked Cheryl Smith
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I never liked the floor I had put down. It’s so dark it shows everything it’s not it all what I envisioned I vision something more like a warmer gray brown concrete look. But oh well. I love my rug and it was like 50 bucks and it’s so soft. Adding hardware made a huge difference and we lighten the walls with accessible beige which everybody said don’t do in the kitchen. I could have gone lighter but then I think I would focus more on the granite which I don’t care for at all. Not in my budget to do new quartz countertops right now I did change out the lighting to some cooler LED bulbs which help but they are on on the warmer spectrum because I didn’t like the blue light! I picked up the hardware at Home Depot and I absolutely love it! So solid. I know with the change up countertops adding more canned LED lighting with make a huge difference but not quite ready to take that plunge especially if I decide to move soon somebody would likely come in and redo this whole kitchen!!
    My Hickrey does have quite a bit of contrast I think the picture doesn’t show it but I’ve learned to not focus on what I don’t like about my kitchen!!

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

I agree with regards to lighting- otherwise I would use the kitchen as is for a while and see if anything really does need to be changed- as you used it you find things that either you like to keep as is or change.

lmuhrich thanked Momof5x
  • artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I LOVE the original kitchen, I would NOT paint a thing.

I could see re-arranging things based on most ways to cook efficiently but I would find it repulsive to turn that kitchen with its lovely woodwork and countertops white or grey.

lmuhrich thanked artemis_ma
  • hamamelis
    4 years ago

Fwiw, far down the road, my appreciative input. I'm not big on brown rooms, but exactly that -- the serene, monochromatic warmth of this one -- is what I like best about it. I like contrast for setting off what's handsome, not for its own drama, and stronger bulbs would absolutely be my preference for adding light over what might be unfortunately shaped and placed planes of highly-contrasting whites.

To my mind, your kitchen is not just sophisticated and elegant, but I really would like it for being at its best (definitely superior to my white) whenever artificial light is required or there's a chill that invites cozing up. And you are in Seattle. :)

If it were mine, like the rug I might look for some little piece or pieces of art to add a little light, contrast, interest, focus (if I had a place), but I'd want to enjoy seeing it often, definitely not just anything.

I've enjoyed seeing a brown kitchen I could enjoy, so thanks.

lmuhrich thanked hamamelis
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It has been a process --I see all of these beautiful remodels in my expensive area with Quartz and white/gray cabinets... You all helped me to love my kitchen and want to share!!

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To the comment above to knock the wall down... it is weight bearing, structural and to costly unfortunately

• Grace O' Malley
    4 years ago

I'd do something with the lighting. It seems really dark.

lmuhrich thanked Grace O' Malley
  • PRO
    Door Corner
    4 years ago

Fresh bright paint and new lighting. Good luck!

lmuhrich thanked Door Corner
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    4 years ago

I think it could use new lighting, backsplash and a lighter floor.

lmuhrich thanked essentials inside
  • PRO
    Get Back JoJo
    4 years ago

if it were my kitchen I would want to lighten it up-it seems kind of dark...lighter counter tops, or dark counter tops with white cabinets-it could be the photo but to me this reads closed in.

lmuhrich thanked Get Back JoJo
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fresh lighting not from a cell phone camera.. welcome thoughts!

• cawaps
    4 years ago

The lighting seems much, much better. I'm actually surprised by the color of the cabinets; so different from how they looked in your first pics. It looks more pleasant to work in than before. Are you enjoying the better lighting?

You don't have your undercabinet lights on in these pics; I think you said you changed those out as well. Can we get a pic to see what they look like turned on?

• PRO
    KitchenSearch.com
    4 years ago

Changing the layout/cabinetry!

When changing the cabinets in the kitchen, you usually change around the layout to what is most functional.

If you plan to put the flooring all the way around the room, then buy the flooring and lay that around everywhere first (once all the old cabinets are removed), if you plan to buy flooring and just floor everything around the cabinets, then you need your new cabinets installed first!

If the layout changes in the kitchen, it's best to have your new layout in place and go from there!

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update on the kitchen the flooring is staying the Hickory is staying At least for the time being ready to sell yet I’ve been told if I let you do my countertops it would help with resale

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

?? Thoughts

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If you think I should re-post as a new thread please let me know you’re probably all tired of me by now

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the kitchen today with sunlight

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More pics

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

It looks lovely. I love your old bright colored rug! It added excitement to the kitchen. I am looking for one like that. Would you please let me know where you found yours? Thanks.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

I have hickory cabinets and went through a huge struggle with counters, including looking at the one you have pictured. I felt that the gray was too cool for the warm cabinets.

• D N
    4 years ago

lmuhrich

If you think I should re-post as a new thread please let me know you’re probably all tired of me by now

No, not at all! But you're going to get a lot of replies to your original post and pictures, and that might get sort of tiresome.

Update on the kitchen the flooring is staying the Hickory is staying At least for the time being ready to sell yet I’ve been told if I let you do my countertops it would help with resale

Told by whom? A realtor? One thing that would give me pause about spending several thousand on new countertops is the very real possibility that a buyer would simply rip out everything you have, including the countertops, and build a new kitchen.

I can see that lighter counters would help the appearance of the kitchen, but I think if I were going to change them, I'd change them for me, not for someone else.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

I really wouldn't get involved in a project of that sort in preparation for a sale. Everything looks fine.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

I helped my dad sell his house when he downsized earlier this summer. Stupid realtor told him to do over $100,000 worth of upgrades to his house! It was a very large five bedroom family home. She told him to demo and change all tile, carpet, gut and buy all new cabinets, gut and re-build entire master bathroom change all toilets, lighting, door knobs, mirrors, countertops, sinks, faucets, re-landscape, paint inside and out, etc. 100k wouldn’t have even accomplished that list in such a large home. She was crazy wrong!

What he did: purge, give away excess things, move to new place, hire someone to trim a couple trees and do a yard “spruce-up,” wash house, and re-stain the deck. Hired pro house cleaners, and carpet/tile cleaners. Hired painter to re-paint only where needed inside (same color), and touch up some trim, only where needed. Including hiring movers to take things to new townhouse and haul excess things to charity places, he spent less than 10k. He sold his house in 1 hour. First person who walked in gave a full price offer.

Realtors are not always right. I like your current counters better than a white or gray quartz. You have no idea what a potential buyer would want. Mostly they want the house to be clean and free of any obvious broken things.

• laurelcollins
    4 years ago

I love it! I’d just start cooking!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Just make sure the place is spotlessly clean and it looks like you're ready to sell it. Do not let some RE agent tell you that you need to spend thousands on new counters. You don't. It's perfectly functional and it looks beautiful.

Despite what you see on the property brothers, redoing stuff like that most likely will not get you more money.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I agree-no need to spend money on new counter tops. Your counter tops are a perfect transition between the floor and cabinets. People are going to do what they want when they buy it. Be sure it's spotless (and it certainly appears to be), and price fairly.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for the comments. I am a couple years from selling so I would get some time to enjoy it and hopefully recoup the money I put in to update and brighten the counters.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am leaning too just leaving it now I just am toying with the idea of fresh and bright

• cpartist
    4 years ago

^^^ Well that's different then.

I would choose a counter that is a bit warmer than the one you show.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I will try a new design dilemma! thank you for all your feedback and help.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

You can now buy LED bulbs that fit where the old style incandescent bulbs worked You can also get them in different colors or soft white or a more "sunlight" kind of light.

lmuhrich thanked suezbell
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

did it :) Still a work in progress I just wanted to update this thread --I have started a new one too ! Thanks again houzzer

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Welcome backsplash ideas! I now need it for sure with the 4" granite removed!!

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Lisa Versaci
    4 years ago

I like the simplicity of not introducing more color just texture. Have you looked at WOW FEZ tile in the white (w/ variations of creamy white) colorway? I might consider it in high gloss to add a little bling if you want it to look more feminine or the matte if you like a more organic look. I'd stack them (not subway style but squared like a grid) with a white grout to keep it a tad bit more modern.

lmuhrich thanked Lisa Versaci
  • lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wish List · More Info

I love to show the before pic... so bad!

• Lisa Versaci
    4 years ago

My sister in law has(d) this EXACT same kitchen, We painted the lowers soft black - the uppers a simple white to match the walls and ceiling, did moroccan tile backsplash in a creamy white and *GASP* kept the countertops! We actually made the countertops look intentional by highlighting a coppery color in them and using it in chunky cabinet hardware. I can't tell what the material in your pic but hers are granite... Lucky you could afford to replace the countertops!

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Lisa! I could afford to replace the countertop in my mind because it became a priority! Maybe not the best money spent for resale down the road but I get to enjoy it! So clean and fresh I dont feel like it is my kiticen--- I just keep cleaning the slab!!

• Olivia
    4 years ago

Where did you get your lovely blue diamond rug? It's perfect in your kitchen!

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Amazon !! 70 bucks

• Olivia
    4 years ago

Thank you, Imuhrich!!

• Veronica Stanwyck
    4 years ago

Better lighting and get some hardware on those otherwise beautiful cabinets, as long as they're in good shape and meet your functional needs.

• lmuhrich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks @Veronica Stanwyck. I appreciate your comment but you may not be looking at the latest post

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.