sarah_louise29

Small first home, ideas for increasing space on a budget.

Sarah Louise
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So, after the sale falling through on the first house I offered on due to serious issues on the survey. I am now proceeding on a lovely little house with a massive garden. But the house is small and has a downstairs bathroom And a tiny kitchen! But the location and garden are a deal maker, plus it's a pretty house.

i am after some ideas for increasing the space on a budget, I don't have 80k to spend on a two story extension, but I do have family (my dad ) who could help me build a DIY one story extension And maybe go into the loft space for a bedroom.

My ideas so far - is to move the bathroom upstairs, losing bedroom 2 on the plan.

bedroom 2 then moves into the loft space (using some of bedroom 2 for the new staircase). There is a bulk head over the stairs in this room , so maybe the stairs could go up over this Then turn. The only issue is not sure if this is possible with the roof layout the house has- see picture.

There is a brick built conservatory downstairs, with glass roof. I wanted to keep this as it looks out over the garden and fields beyond, maybe put in bifold doors eventually and a better roof, the ones you see advertised that keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer as it's a south facing garden. I will also be putting double doors through from the living room to the conservatory as currently it's a single glazed window.

Then extend onto the side and back of the property, where the bathroom is on the plans ( this was originally an outhouse) and down the side increasing the size of the kitchen making a kitchen diner. I'd also like to retain a downstairs toilet if poss, and if there is any scope for a small study downstairs that would be a real bonus!

I wuld reLly appreciate some advise from someone who knows about these things. Not even sure if what I am suggesting is possible or the best option.

Roof - not sure about height internally as not had the chance to see up there yet, but will try as I know thats the key to see if this is an option or not.

Plans, the layout is slightly different now (no plans on Rightmove currently- these are from last time it sold) but the bathroom has now been jigged about and there is a little space between the bathroom and kitchen for a washing machine and the boiler,

The lounge and main bedroom are quite big 16, ft x 11,11ft. The smaller bedroom is 10,06ft x 8,08ft . Kitchen 13ft x 8,07 (maximum)

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.