beckspearson

Long hallway & dining area flooring dilemma

Becks Pearson
5 years ago

Ok - so the hallway is 17 metres long and just under a metre at its narrowest point. There are 8 steps just under 2 metres wide and then an area at the top that goes out to the back door (which we tend to use as our main entrance). It’s really quite dark and I can’t decide what to do.

i initially wanted to do black coir matting all the way down the stairs to a point that ended just past the door and then have the current floorboards redone to meet the coir matting. However I have been advised that coir matting on steps is a no-no. have discussed floor boards to the bottom of the steps but what then? Or cork flooring all the way through but it seems a shame to not use the original floorboards. There’s a room to the right as you look up the stairs that needs a floor but to the left is the kitchen with original flagstones.

Help - I want something a bit quirky but do not know what to do. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.