webuser_71660

final window/door extension options POLL

Tani H-S
5 years ago

Got some crittall style windows priced up for our industrial style kitchen and unfortunately they are just out of my budget because we have such a large expanse to fill, so back down to choosing either sliding doors or bifolds. Please read below BEFORE voting. thanks!!

Highlighted the pro's and cons of each ones below so bearing those in mind, which would you vote for?

1) Sliding doors -

PRO's Clean unfussy looking, large panes for viewing. Could have 2 openings either side and fixed in the middle or vice versa so good air flow.

CONS - husband is worried about people walking into them as large expanse of glass. Also heavier to open/close all the time if it's our only access to the rear of the house.

Also harder to cover up at night as would need curtain space in the kitchen which is not very convenient and doesn't look great

triple track system means a deeper recess into the kitchen taking up more space.

2) bi-folds -

PRO's - better for ease of traffic doors. More sightlines so less likely to walk into them. Look great when fully open to the garden.

CONS - very busy. Hard to cover with blinds/curtains as inbuilt ones are super expensive.

(Options below are either full set across the back (less brickwork but doors are expensive and would need a bigger steel across the top. VS smaller bi-folds in the middle and 2 full height windows either side with window seats in and side opening. less steelwork but lintels and more fitting work. Possibly easier to fit blinds either side for more privacy than one large window

full width bi-folds (around 5-6m)
smaller bi-folds in centre with 2 tall side windows and window seats
full width sliding doors
Other (comment below)

Comments (43)

• User
    5 years ago
    Weve got 6m bifolds in a south facing room. we put internal blinds in which have been absolutely amazing on a hot sunny days. You can still see through them when slightlu tilted and they keep the blazing sun out. 6m bifolds would look amazing in your kitchen.
  • PRO
    SWR Group
    5 years ago

Definitely the full width bi-folds, I do like the look of sliding doors but prefer the back being fully open to the garden (also agree with your husband about walking into them, from personal experience). My parents have 6m bifolds and they genuinely have them open almost all year round which I think is insane but each to their own. They don't have internal blinds, they went for automated blinds that are attached to the wall above the doors, though I rarely see them down! From the pictures, the bifolds look great!

• Related Discussions

POLL: Conservatory or extension?

Q

Comments (192)
    If you were our client, we would first assess which way the house faces in order to understand the direction of the sun and the likely impact on the space in terms of light and heat, plus we would ask what use you intend to place on the new space. It is also the case that with whatever heating - a fully glazed conservatory can seem an inhospitable space in the winter months. Even in the UK heat gain during our short summer is a major consideration and whilst roof blinds can be added - these can spoil the original design intent. A part solid / part glazed roof with fully glazed walls may be the most successful. Attached image of a garden room with a large strategically placed roof light and two fully glazed walls.
    ...See More

White or Anthracite Grey Window/Bifold Door on Extension???

Q

Comments (17)
    Sliding doors are proving very popular at the moment as they can stack to one side and not protrude into the garden space and be easier to move than full set of bi-folds so that would an approximate opening of about 4m with 3 x 1.250m (plus frame ) panel of glass that would all stack in parallel inline. Or you could try panoramic doors they are more versatile as they are detachable from each other and give you more options for you layout at the finish. There a tutorial on you tube ? Do you have building control on these works as I am finding that architects are making us use a lot more steel as in a goal post design for stability, depending on how wide you want to go with the opening?
    ...See More

Rear extension options!

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello. I love option 2 most. It feels much better to walk into the space with the kitchen there and much nicer working in the space over looking the garden. As you say, it's also a big plus to be able to also see both dining and seating areas too. Obviously I don't know near enough about the property or your needs to say whether this works for you but an alternative to lose the long living room which may mean you end up with wasted space - would be too lose the utility and move the bathroom down the hallway unto the now marked utility. Making the hallway bigger to enter the kitchen further down. You could then have a utility/boot-room at the front of the property moving through to the kitchen in the heart of the home - looking over the dining and living at the end which both look out over the garden/patio are with as much glass as possible :) Just another idea. I hope I have helped. Gina
    ...See More

window advice on south facing extension...

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Tani Our garden is west facing & we have a window either side of the bifolds. We chose not to have roof openings to avoid extra heat from the sun. We are also considering adding an pergola/awning or something similar so that we can have the blinds open in summer without the hot sun streaming in. I am not a fan of hot weather (hence the integral blinds & air con) so avoid it as much as possible. I’m a bit confused what you mean about access to the traffic door...ours is by the kitchen end & is ideal. I’ve added a few pics so you can see our set up.
    ...See More
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks both!

Do you have 2 traffic doors in yours then and are they in the centre or at the sides?? Trying to work out the best layout for them so it's easy to access the outside

• PRO
    SWR Group
    5 years ago

Only one traffic door for us, on the left hand side, I think that was chosen because of the positioning of the door that was there before. Old habits die hard kind of thing. Personally I think side access is better, but it's a good idea to put the traffic door where its easiest to walk in and out (in regards to space in front and behind it).

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

I know it may be too late, but have you thought of a third option of the type of doors that Panoramic Doors do, they're much more flexible than standard bi-folds and well worth a quick look, to see what they can offer. http://panoramicdoors.co.uk/

We opted for them in our new kitchen and we're extremely pleased with them. They have an option of having internal blinds inside the glass, which is neater and obviously easier to keep clean.

We also went for the optional fly screen, which we only saw at a house & renovation show at the NEC and doesn't appear to have a big mention (if at all) on their website. The additional (but I'm guessing unintentional) benefit of the fly screen is that it is quite a good thermal barrier and it made a significant difference this summer, to the solar gain on our south facing doors.

• PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    5 years ago

I would say bi-folding doors sound like the right option for you. The flexibility of being to open them completely up is great and being able to choose from a number of configurations to suit your needs is also a benefit.

Please feel free to give us a call as we may be able to help: http://bit.ly/contact-origin

Thanks,

Robyn

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Ribena - hi, not too late yet as not bought anything. Just had a quick look - are these just individual sliding panels then? what did you prefer about them to bi-folds?

• User
    5 years ago
    We have 2 traffic doors and they open in the middle. so we do have the option of just have 1 or 2 doors open, rather than the whole lot. And yes..this year we gave had them open most days...so nice especially in the warm evenings.
  • User
    5 years ago
    And also internal blinds make it ideal for cleaning. Just to give u an idea of what the blinds like when slightly tilted. You still get the view of outside almost perfectly.
    Tani H-S thanked User
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Ribena - just watched their video. They look good! Did see something similar at one of the home shows in harrogate a few months ago. Wasn't quite sure how they worked or what benefit they would have over bi-fold but I like that you can leave them all with gaps in and just open a couple at a time. Now to get a price.. eek

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Tani, they're so flexible, you can have them them totally open like bi-folds, but you can also put the sliding panels anywhere in the gap, once the traffic door is open, so you can have them as open or closed as you like.

The big advantage we found is that because the individual doors move along the centre track, there's no need to allow clearance either inside or outside for the "concertina" of bi-folds.

So it means we have no problems with placement of furniture inside, or indeed plants and stuff on the patio. You could put a sideboard right in front of the doors and still be able to open them (but why you'd want to do that I don't know! LOL).

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha ha. yes I saw that on the video and thought it was a good idea as that's the one thing that gave sliding doors the edge for me. Also the larger panes but that's just one of those things....

I need to check with them about the traffic door though as having it to the one side only is not ideal as it would be in the kitchen - so having to go around the island to get in and out. Not sure if this is even an issue as our old ones used to be in the centre of the room so....

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oo the bifold & doors are slowly creeping up on the all bifolds vote! Any comments on why you would choose to have windows either side?
  • minipie
    5 years ago

Ok I'll be a minority vote for the sliding doors! Depends how often you think you'd have them fully open - we've just had an exceptionally hot summer, but in the usual British year I wouldn't want them fully open for more than about 15 days a year. So the bigger panes, fewer lines and easier use of sliders win out for me.

Or if you're having bifolds, I prefer the look with two windows, gives you more flexibility to ventilate without having a door fully open and looks more interesting and less busy. Also gives you more places for furniture, inside and out.

• PRO
    SWR Group
    5 years ago

I agree with minipie about the benefit of the windows with regards to furniture placement, but if you have windows elsewhere in the room the ventilation aspect wouldn't be much of an issue, and personally I think with side windows it looks more busy.

Enjoying this discussion by the way! Interesting to see different takes on bifolds/sliding doors!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The only other windows in the room would be roof lights and I’m not sure any would be opening (not costed for in the quote so will have to check on the additional price)

That is an issue re ventilation if we don’t have any other windows. We had one planned for the side of the kitchen but I’m not sure I want one there and if I did. It would have to be a small one above the prep sink

In our last house though we had bifolds and a rear door and a kitchen window but only ever opened the kitchen window if the husband was browning off onions as it makes me eyes water The doors only got opened when the weather was dry anyway as there was no overhand outside.
    The area will be quite a good size as all open plan so I’m hoping it won’t get too stuffy inside.

I could see about having 2 fixed panels either side of the bifolds or sliding doors so they all look the same size - but then they would need to have openers on and might look messy. Argh.
  • PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    5 years ago

Hi Tani,

As per your last comment I can see in your renders that for the 6 door set you would have a 3+3 configuration where you will be able to open the two middle doors away from each other. Because of this, there is always the option to just open out the doors as you would french doors, leaving the two panels either side looking like fixed frames- giving you the flexibility to achieve both of the looks you desire.

Example below:

I hope that helps you a little!

Thanks,

Robyn

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you.

@origin - yes my ideal would be traffic doors central to the room ( or one at either side but I doubt that configuration could work!) or if it was sliding doors, then the kitchen one would open and also by the dining room but I guess that would need a 3 track system to work and it takes up a lot of threshold
  • minipie
    5 years ago

Think I mentioned on another thread the idea of having 3 sets of French doors - what do you think? Gives you lots of access points...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @minipie - oh I haven’t seen that commment? Was it another persons thread or mine, sorry?

Didn’t even consider that to be honest re lots of French doors argh, even more to think about now
  • Heather
    5 years ago
    I voted for the smaller width bifolds with a window either side. Reason is I think it’s nice to be able to see more of the garden when you are in the kitchen, it seems if you have just the bifolds there seems to be more wall in front of that tall unit blocking the view? Whereas with the separate window you can look out of it when by the sink. That’s just my opinion anyway - the sliders are very nice but I went to see some sliders in a showroom the other day and the really wide ones (2m wide) are sooo big and difficult to open and just might be a bit of a pain!

Re: the blinds - could you just get some simple blinds that can just roll down but are a bit inconspicuous when rolled up?
  • Heather
    5 years ago
    Example of crittal rather than bifolds with blinds - I don’t know why more people don’t have them as they can look really inconspicuous. We’ve been burgled twice in the 4 years we’ve lived in our house - security is v important and I hate the thought of burglars nosing about looking through your big glass doors at night picking out stuff they can nick!
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of multiple glazed doors too. And I would have a separate way to ventilate without opening doors, for security and to keep kids in or pets in or out and for when you just want a little bit of air when it’s windy or it’s raining. I’ve got bifolds and French doors and casement windows in the kitchen and I although I love having doors open I regularly use the windows.
  • E D
    5 years ago

Tani, I wish I could help you decide. I can't.

I like all three of your options. From an aesthetic point of view I would prefer the full width doors. I think.

I like all or most of the other suggestions by Houzzers here.

I like the panoramic doors. I like the crittal example.

That's no help, surely. Sorry.

But maybe it's a good thing. Whichever you choose it will be nice. :)

It probably comes down to practicality. And maybe budget?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, @ ED indeed! well at least either way we go, it won’t be very wrong!

It’s so hard. Went out for drinks tonight to discuss it but we like all options. Waiting for some prices back so I think that might be the deciding factor
  • LTS
    5 years ago
    SWR Group what hook do you use? Are your bifolds aluminium?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh no! it's almost neck and neck now, argh! Not helping me decide, guys. haha

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @heather -
    I did price up crittall style but only as a 2m French door and two side windows - so 4 m in total. It was about £8,500 and I feel that we would really need extra panels above the doors and around them to make the most of the rear otherwise it would be too much brick. So costing at least £10k which we just don’t have

Do you think it would look odd having plain side windows and a crittall door though? Ie 4m centred with two tall slim DGU either side??
  • PRO
    SWR Group
    5 years ago

Hi LTS, the catch that I have is similar to the picture below, but magnetic catches are a good option too. Our bifolds are aluminium, but we also have wood and composite options.

• LTS
    5 years ago
    Thanks SWR our bifolds are 3+1 configuration & we have a magnet to stack the 3 doors together...it is the single traffic door that we are looking at installing a restrictor to stop it swinging back against the brick wall (the door has been scuffed already because of this). However, Origin will only sell to an agent, the agent isn responding & no other agent are interested. There is also the issue of the traffic door not closing properly in hot weather but Origin won’t get involved (despite saying the pay would send an engineer out as they thought the agent hadn’t left a big enough gap for expansion) & are now saying they are 9nly interested in manufacture not installation. So we are stuck but won’t give up! Sorry for the essay, lol.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just to update....
    I have just had another company price for the crittall style going across the full 6m and they are quite a bit less than the others.

So it’s in with the running now!

What do you guys think?? I still love the crittall style - ever so slightly worried it might look TOO much with 6m if busy framework ... (although I could alter this config to allow for brickwork in between some ...)

Crittall or bifolds??
  • PRO
    Optic Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi Tani,

I voted for full width bi-folds and then got to the bottom of this thread to see your latest update and now I would say Crittall for sure! They just look so great. If these are financially viable for you and they fit well with the rest of your home, then these make a real statement.

The bi-folds will look good too and are great for indoor/outdoor living . They really help extend your living space...especially if we keep having hot summers like this one! Well, we can dream...

Basically, either will look good - if the price is right for both, then it comes down to the look you like.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you @Optic !
    Well the house itself is a 30’s bungalow so although it never had crittall windows in its lifetime (presuming this but everyone has replaced them with DGU now so hard to tell!) it should suit it.

Yes I love them so much - would really make the kitchen.
    As you say, if we had hot summers regularly then bifolds would be great but I can have as many French doors in as I want to so still lots of open space
    If we decide 100% to go for them (just finalising some queries and spec) then I will do a poll for door placement etc
  • minipie
    5 years ago

For me Crittall style depends on how lovely your garden or view is. For an amazing garden or view I'd stick with fewer lines and let the view be the focus not the doors. Also if you will have lots of statements in the interior then Crittall might be a bit much. However if you have an ordinary garden and fairly plain interior then Crittal can make a great focal point - especially with exposed brick and industrial fittings.

• minipie
    5 years ago

Oh cross posted, if it's a 30s building that really sells the Crittall idea! (I've never been quite convinced by them in a Victorian house).

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hard to say at the moment. The garden isn’t amazing as such - no nice views, just patio up the top.
    Ie see the pic of work in progress! Will have grass on the front right and more plants in of course. We are overlooked only from the far two sides at the moment.

Inside will be dark shaker style kitchen - no wall cupboards and large F/F . Semi industrial/chic but not understated or overly fussy

Ha ha.
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Crittal style with brick in between sounds fab to me!
  • Heather
    5 years ago
    Sorry I didn’t mean by my previous post that you should get crittal doors - was just trying to demonstrate the blinds but couldn’t find any pics of bifolds with blinds - but since reading your last post then yeah go for the crittal style! It is so lovely!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, no that’s ok. I always wanted crittall style so just have to make sure the price is definitely within budget for how we want them
  • M T G
    5 years ago

Hi, I am going through the same problem with my renovation of a 1927 semi-detached and wondered if you have made a decision yet? My door/window opening is about 3.2m wide by 2.1m high and I really like the Crittal style. I'm looking to keep the sight lines down to a minimum so Bi-folds are out but I am looking at slim profile sliding doors (one fixed panel & one sliding) or Crittall style French Doors in the middle with 2 fixed panes either side. Budget is a consideration as well as things like thermal efficiency, security, getting the right style of blinds and entrance out to the garden as there is quite a big step down to the patio area. I hope you are all sorted now and happy with your choice, I'm sure it will look fabulous!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello, if you don't want sight lines then I wouldn't have Crittall to be honest (unless you wanted Crittall without the cross bars of course?? as they are super busy and won't give you a clear view of the garden) We opted to go for bi-folds with slimmer sight lines and wider panes so there would be less lines.

On your size opening, it would take 3 bi-fold panes which means the central one is just glass.

If you had sliding doors then you would likely have 2 panels with the bar being right in the middle (unless you can slide them into pocket doors!)

Bi-folds - they even do frame-less bi-folds now or ones with the lines super narrow so I would get prices for those.

It also depends on your garden - as you say, because we had the bi-folds leading directly onto a patio area. If you have to step down then the garden will feel quite separate anyway and so you don't benefit from having an open 'room' as you would with a semi flush or flush threshold and bi-folds doors.

In that case, Alu french doors with side panels that don't have all the cross bars would likely be the cheapest option for you.

• M T G
    5 years ago

Thanks, lots to consider but at least there are plenty of options out there.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.