jennykathrynsmith

Lean to conservatory - is it possible to make it useable year round?

Jenny Smith
5 years ago

Hi, We're doing a 2 storey extension on our house and as part of this we've planned a small lean to conservatory/orangerie on the back of the kitchen diner, with a glass roof and walls/bifold doors, so we can enjoy the garden from inside. It would be South facing which I know can be a problem for conservatories/orangeries. It is planned as 2.8m width (to be bifold or sliding doors) and 90cm length extending out into the garden, with a lean to style glazed roof at a pitch angle (of 35 degrees), so with higher ceiling than the rest of the extension where the ceiling height is lowish as it's within the constraints of our ex 1950s council house type house.

But I think we may want the impossible... we'd like it to be...

- useable year round (ie not too hot in summer or cold in winter.)

- have curtains to make the walls cosy in winter evenings

- have blinds for the roof to reduce glare on sunny days (integral within the glazing would be best but I can't see anything online for this - the only integral blinds I can see are for wall windows or roof veluxes).

- bifold or sliding doors

- look modern i.e. not UPVC

I have seen tinted / low E glass and self cleaning glass and these seem nice but not convinced the tinting would be enough to reduce the glare/excess heat problem of being south facing.

I've wondered about trying to put in a tiled roof with veluxes but our original designer said the roof size would be too small (the sloped roof would measure 1.1m and would be at a 35 degree angle). Looking online perhaps we could fit in veluxes which would be a better solution?

Any thoughts or tips? Anyone know anything which could work off the peg? Or are we looking at commissioning something bespoke?

And what do people think about a roof with velux style windows (if we could fit them in) versus a glazed roof?

thanks! Jenny

ps photo of kind of thing we're thinking of (though ours would be smaller and a lean to)

Contemporary Orangery Designs In Kent & Sussex, Buy Now | County Home · More Info

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.