Damp/condensation issue

L B
25 November, 2018
As I've mentioned in previous posts we live in a old 1700 farmhouse which is now showing some signs of condensation on the exterior walls. We've had a damp specialist round last year and they confirmed it's a condensation issue rather than damp.

One wall is in our kitchen dinner which is the original part of the house, it's been dripping wet round the skirting. We're getting a new radiator put in to warm the area and frequently use a dehumidifier. We also have mould forming round the walls of french doors and window in utility room. One of the older bedrooms upstairs also has condensation on the walls.

Does anyone have experience of this and know how to solve the problems? We keep all rooms warm and have trickle vents on windows in the utility and bathrooms. We also use extractor fans in the kitchen and bathrooms and dry clothes in the tumble dryer or outside. We've tried to follow advice as much as we can.

We've seen an air vent system can be installed in the loft space to circulate air throughout the house. Has anyone got experience of these and do they work?

• GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    my house is a 1920's semi so it isn't a good comparison with your old farmhouse. We had condensation running down the exterior walls of the all bedrooms , the windows and the stair wall. When we removed the wallpaper, there was black mould! This was despite the house having double glazed windows, GCH , extractors in the bathroom and kitchen and an insulated loft. We had the house rendered, trickle vents put on all the windows and radiators moved to under the windows. All the plaster was blown, so we had this replaced as well. Because the whole house was replastered, I put those plastic moisture traps in every room. I think that this combination has really helped with the condensation, we haven't had any since.
  • L B
    Thank you GardenFairyGodmother, it's handy to hear someone had similar issues and how they've been resolved. We added new less drafty double glazing in the winter after we moved in and wonder if that's caused the issue as there is now no air movement! Unfortunately we can't recall if we had the problem during the winter with the old windows. Either way, we need to resolve the issue as living with mould is not good. What render did you opt for? Was it EW
    I? We eventually need to rerender our house. Though I wonder if EWI will again make the house too insulated and cause more of an issue.

We are considering the PIV systems which seem to have good reviews. Anyone had experience of those?
  • GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    I have no idea what the builder used to render the outside, sorry. We had considered cavity wall insulation, but our inter war semi was built without any cavities! The external wall on the side needed re pointing, so we made the decision to render the the entire house and paint it white.(it was red brick and yellow front) Our neighbours have old speckled pebble dash on theirs, they are now complaining that my brilliant white house makes theirs look old and tired! BTW the previous owner had ripped out all the original fire places and boarded them up. We had a small vent put in all the chimney breasts to improve air flow in all the rooms. I'm sure this and all the trickle vents helps with the air circulation.