anne_sowerby

Selling your home? Here are my top home staging tips!

Sassy Property Styling Ltd
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

As an experienced interior designer, I've worked with a whole range of client briefs. Increasingly, I'm working with homeowners who are looking to sell or rent out their property, but need help refreshing their interiors to do so.

Research in July 2018 by Rightmove found that staged houses sell for 8% more than a non-staged house. For an average UK property worth £220,940, that's an extra £17,607! Plus, houses sell faster when they are staged too.

Home staging is a process of arranging your home and furnishings to make it as appealing as possible to prospective buyers. Depending on your needs, I can also lend you a whole array of furniture and accessories to accentuate your space.

Are you thinking about selling your home? Here are my top tips for home staging:

1. Less is more - hide that clutter! People want to see the bare bones of the room and its potential.
  2. People like to see that the house is lived in - a pair of boots by the door, or books on the coffee table. You don't need to make it completely empty, or it will look too 'clinical'. Some well-chosen personal items help the viewers imagine how they would use the house too!
  3. It doesn't need to be expensive - by rearranging your furniture in new ways and clearing some bits away, you can give your house a whole new look. As a rough guide, you should expect to spend around X% of your home's value.

Here are some examples from a superb country house I recently staged for sale. It's a beautiful property with 3 acres in stunning countryside on the fringe of the Lake District, but the interiors needed a revamp before the estate agent could take photos.

Before & After of the Study:

Home Staging for Superb Country House · More Info

Before & After of the Dining Room:

Before & After of the Kitchen:

Which is your favourite transformation? What are your other top tips for home staging?

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.