angm47

Sash windows - wood, aluminium, or upvc?

Angie
5 years ago
Our house would originally (1906) have had sash windows. A refurb before our time installed upvc units which open hinged at the top. Our current thinking is that we will replace these with sash windows to match next door which still has the originals.
So, what are the pros and cons of wooden vs aluminium vs upvc frames? We've seen some which enable the window to drop back into the room for ease of cleaning which sounds like a good idea. I guess those will be upvc or aluminium. We know cost will be a factor but for now we're more interested in the pros and cons of the material. The panes will be double glazed.
The windows we'll be replacing are on the front of the house which faces south west so gets a lot of hot sun. Well, if we're lucky it's hot!
Any experiences of sash windows much appreciated.
Angie

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.