webuser_71660

Builder walked out - feeling deflated

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Been on our house renovation project since last June and many of you have followed my many posts asking for advice.

What I hadn’t mentioned fully until recently is the awful time and experience we have had with our builder and his crew.

The extension was supposed to have been finished by Xmas and it’s still a way off.
He disappeared before Xmas for two weeks (was supposed to be working to get the roof watertight) but eventually came back citing personal issues for his disappearance.

We gave him another chance - paid him more money to get the jobs finished and materials ordered in for internal boarding and he disappeared again. This is a couple of weeks ago and he never came back (left all his tools here as well!) so we emailed to say that we presume he’s not coming back and we wanted to officially call it a day as we need to get it finished and can’t wait any longer.

It’s honestly been an incredibly stressful and emotional time. Constant lies - increase in costs due to them having missed things out (like a main structural wall coming down!!) never turning up and working part time and now we have loads of jobs that are unfinished.

We have leaks when he did the roof where he’s foamed along the chimney and not leaded it up - they left a mess outside of rubbish and rubble that cost us £400 to move and the list goes on :0(
Just to fix all the things he missed on the roof is probably going to cost us another £1k which we hadn’t allowed for.

The worse thing is that they were recommended and seemed to be legitimate when we took them on. Turned up regularly to price - answered questions straight away etc etc. Seemed very confident and interested in the job. Just goes to show you that the best companies in the worlds can go to pot once personal issues take hold.

So we have a lot of mess to sort out and it’s a bit overwhelming and frustrating :0(
Worse as I work from home and find I’m waiting in for people who just don’t turn up.

So that’s my moan. I’m trying to be positive and cracking on with getting others in to do the work but sometimes it hard.

Comments (60)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.