webuser_71660

Urgent Q. skirting on a wood panelled wall??

Tani H-S
5 years ago

Having our tv wall made into wood panels to help hide a cupboard door and it's only on the one wall.

Wondered how it works with the skirting?? ie the walls either side will be skirted so do we run skirting along the panelled wall as well or just do a thicker bead at the bottom that is plain like the rest of the wall beading but is the same height as the adjacent skirting?

Joiner is here now and needs to know before he works all the panels out for cutting :o/

Comments (30)

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi Tani. I would personally add the skirting to that wall and then paint it in the wall panelling colour. That's what I'm having done in the next few days. Houzz won't let me upload any pictures...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The skirting in the room will be quite decorative so the joiner was saying as it's just a feature wall and you will only have one wall with skirting next to it, to just bead along the bottom the same as the wall. I've seen it done with both ie skirting and no skirting after browsing online a bit more (after posting the Q) so wasn't sure what was best.

Are there issues with photos now on here or just from the phone?? There is something dodgy going on with the images anyway as they all keep mixing up! haha.

Love to see a pic of yours when it's all done!

• Related Discussions

Wood vs White skirting, trim, windows

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks again everyone! I agree that I wasn't sure if the warm wood tones would work well with a dark floor but stumac23 your family room looks great!! I think it looks like a surprisingly good combo! I still think white would look good too but it may be best to leave the bay window frame alone. Unsure. I guess I'll see what it's like once the walls and floor are done
    ...See More

Thoughts on darker colour skirting/trim & door frames

Q

Comments (29)
    Nice colour. What is it? Thinking of using similar in my lounge. Here’s a few inspo pics for painted fire surround (click to enlarge). I’ve included a couple of fire places where they are all one colour which I quite like the look of so for me I’m going to stick with my gut instinct and say the same colour as the skirting. But don’t take my word for it, the choice is absolutely yours! I always find holding a F&B colour chart against all the surrounding objects and in different lights helps me make a decision. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Skirting board with various floor materials

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you both! Would you advise to do just the one colour/medium throughout the house? My husband seemed to think white or oak would look good everywhere except where the tiled floors are. I don't think it would be a good idea to do 2 different skirting boards though, do you?
    ...See More

tiled skirting in a bathroom - using wall or floor tiles?

Q

Comments (3)
    On top of the skirting? No way! I think that would look awful. Far too bulky in a sleek designed room. We have an ensuite which has the wall tiles sitting on top of the floor tiles to give the impression of more of a wet room effect. We also have a main bathroom and in here have the floor tiles cut to the size of the skirting that was originally in there height wise and then placed on top of the floor tiles So one room has nothing and the other room has the floor tiles up the wall as a skirting.
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Which did you prefer? Maybe there isnt a right or wrong, I would rather keep it consistent but depends on how the panelling will look with the decorative skirting board.

theres been an issue for a while with photos on any device, having to wait for them to "clear" but yesterday it just got worse!

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I've managed to load them :) This is the style we're going for (the room is not grand though, it's the smallest in the house!). I meant to add, I would just consider the size of the panelling so as not to cut the wall height up, we're working in 1/3's and have drawn it on paper but the decorator (friend!) will draw it on the wall first too

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My beading will be narrow and plain, flat beading (thin shaker style I guess). The bottom of the entrance door will be deep though so if I go for a skirting then I think the rest of the skirting in the room will probably have to be plain as well to match it? Might look odd with lambs skirt on the walls ?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

layout will be smaller section at the top (above door height) because we have the entrance door far right and an under-stairs door far left (this is what we are trying to hide so it blends in as it will be a flush ply door) Then I was thinking the same smaller section at the bottom to leave a larger tall panel in the middle?? Or I would run the bottom one in line with the middle of the main door. Not decided what will look best. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Not beading the same height as the skirting. Small bead or skirting over the top of the wall board.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ MATH - sorry, I meant the beading would have been at the very bottom - not as a thin strip in line with the skirting.

So are you saying that I can get away either with full skirting or, the same narrow beading at the bottom that's the same as on the rest of the wall?

• minnie101
    5 years ago

can you add a picture? Are the doors in?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@minnie - no, it's just a wall frame at the moment but hopefully they are boarding it today so will take a picture when it's progressed.

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Oh ok! My bathroom is panelled, it has a small one at the top, double the size of that at the bottom and then the middle is double the size of the bottom one, if you followed that! I would definitely draw it out on paper though taking into account the height of coving if there is any and the skirting board

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Hi Tani, yes that's exactly what I meant. Either a thin quadrant bead at the bottom of your panelling just to finish it off, or the same skirting over the top of the panelling. Down to personal choice really. We have deep square skirting so our panelling sits on top of that.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’ve checked and the top panel will be the section above door height. The bottom will be around 810 - which I’ve run in line with the bead on the door (the bottom line of the centre bar) if that makes sense. Will sketch it.
    Have to keep the bottom one lower because the tv will sit on that wall so I want it to be within the central section.

Not sure on the following:

Tv installation - should I sit this over the beading on the wall in case I ever want to move it? Ie not cut the beading out behind it.

Door - the other doors in my hall are standard Victorian 4 panels. I want glass in the top of my lounge one to let light into the hall. Shall I go for the same style but with glass in top panels OR one large top pane of glass so it kind of matches the panelled wall?? It won’t match exactly as the glass will be smaller anyway, but ...
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

A sketch would be good. Can you not set the tv within a panel? I'd probably go for a transom window, am guessing the door may be open a lot anyway so that would maximise light?

• minnie101
    5 years ago

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Decided to skip the skirting on that wall ... because the door is the newer style which has a much deeper bottom bar than my other older doors so it wouldn’t have matched my skirting anyway!

Set the height of the bottom bar just below where the tv is going to be so couldn’t make it any higher.

Just needs some paint now, eek.

Mine is all ply with pine beading so what’s the best paint method for these? Just primer and standard wall paint or should I eggshell the whole wall????
    The door will have to be done in a matching eggshell so it will likely be darker than the wall anyway.

Oh and ignore the horrid glass in the door (couldn’t get a plain glass one in time!) - will be replacing it in the future )

The hidden storage door was a challenge and would be obvious due to the hinges at the side but also because the beading across it had to be angled at the left side so it didn’t catch when it was opened. Not as noticeable as a normal door though at least so more pleasing on the eye
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Awesome!!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I know it’s not ornate or as chunky as most panelling, but I guess it’s a thin shaker and is kind of like our kitchen, lol
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

It looks really good, great way of hiding the door. Just thought, wasn't that originally space for the dogs? Can they open the door now?! I'd probably lightly sand, prime and eggshell but Hugh is your painting man! I might also roller in between the panels (as in a few places you can see brushmarks from certain angles where I've painted my bathroom panelling!).

• Monica
    5 years ago

Looks fab Tani, I also vote for everything in the same paint finish. Didn't you fancy having the same done to the other door too?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @minnie - the dogs are going into the utility now. Ha ha. Otherwise yes, they would be escaping all the time ;0)

Good idea re using a roller in between.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Monica - I was looking everywhere to find a decent door that would blend in but couldn’t find one. It’s not great but I wanted to put glass in to let light into the hallway (as it’s internal hall being a bungalow and narrow)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    I’d use a roller to paint but use a lay off brush over it! If unsure just google laying off painting techniques! Used it on my doors and they came out well and only took 10 mins a side!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @MATM - as the man with all the painting knowledge, would you eggshell this whole wall to match the door or just paint with emulsion? Don’t want it to be too shiny but the hidden door will be pushed open with hands so it needs to be durable. Any thoughts?
  • Monica
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have eggshell on all of our panelled walls downstairs, up the stairs and landing. Everything got painted in the same finish panelling and walls and it doesn't look shiny at all ( we used Farrow and Ball). It is so easy to keep clean with the dog and everyday wear marks and scuffs still looks the same nearly 4 years on. I also have Benajmin Moore's eggshell in my studio and that doesn't look shiny eitherl. I know I am not MATH but wanted to give you my experience. :)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok fabulous, thank you. It makes sense really as I’m struggling with the darker emulsion colours as they seem to leave white marks when you touch them and I don’t know why :0(

Might start a thread for that as it’s bugging me
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Our old mate crown washable is a great matte paint to use, ive it on two doors without issue, one is often close by hand, the issue is nails! Anything hard will leave a white mark on it which will not wipe off, as far as grease and paw prints, soap and water takes all off without any water markers, as said it’s the paint bath the back of out sink and wiped every day, still as new!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. I think generally the eggshell or durable versions have been fine as the crown one we used was good in eggshell but awful as the vinyl matt. You only have to brush past it and it leaves white marks - like dust - but not dust. It comes off but it did the same with a dark navy paint we had from valspar as well. Drove us mad! Lol

Surely it’s not just me that has this issue??
    Will try and take a pic if I can
  • Victoria
    5 years ago
    My kitchen units are painted in eggshell. Kitchen manufacturer recommended it as long as it was oil based for durability. It’s not shiny at all.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.