debzip

big enough for walk in wardrobe?

debzip
5 July, 2019

I have just moved and realised I have way too much stuff! In last house I had a very deep in practical wardrobe. I would love a walk in wardrobe so I can see clothes at a glance.
Is it a possibility with this space using a stud wall near the window on right? Or would everything become really cramped?
Currently there is wasted space behind wardrobe.
Dimensions from wall (under sloped ceiling) to potential stud wall circa 254 but would need to be less than current 400 cm long as this would block walkway.
Think maximum length 250 cm.
Wall to front of wardrobe 154 cm.
Wall to back of wardrobe 95
Wardrobe depth 60 cm
Wardrobe length currently 400 cm.
From current internal rail to potential stud wall circa 140 cm.
Height internal current rail from floor is 140 cm.
Bed faces wardrobe. From headboard to front of wardrobe is circa 500 cm.
To potential stud wall 400 cm.

There are lots of measurements but I may not have taken the obvious.
This wardrobe would be shared.
Would really welcome any comments.
Many thanks

• Pavan123

I think you'd really struggle with adequate head height for a walk in wardrobe in that space. but I may have misinterpreted your measurements and meaning so happy to be corrected!

• debzip

in case I didn’t make it clear the existing wardrobes would be removed

Studio O+U Architects

Hi

If you are going to remove the existing wardrobe, you may want to consider re-arranging the room so that the bed is under the inclined section of the roof. This will allow you to use the space a lot more efficiently and one can even design low level storage units either side of the bedhead.

It will also you to use the opposite wall as a full height wardrobe, and depending on the size of the room, possibly to create a walk-in wardrobe/ or walking closet off of the bedroom.

A plan or some pictures of the other side of the room and where the room is accessed from would be useful

Best

David

Studio O+U Architects

• Maths Wife

I'd probably agree with Studio O, can you post a plan of the whole room?

I can completely see where you're coming from, but it would depend on how far forward you can come and the access to it, that in hinges on. Therefore, see the space around the rest of the room is essential.

• debzip

Thanks for your comments. The other side of the room also has a sloped wall. Here is a photo of the full room

• debzip

Not sure that photo uploaded

• Jill Watson

We had this made in a small loft office with similar sloping roof. You can access the rear through the middle section- we use that area for storage for items we only use occasionally.

Studio O+U Architects

HI

Thanks for posting that photo- I see it's a symmetrical space so that would not resolve the issue.

What the new photo does show me is that the approach "corridor" into the room is quite wide and the room itself is very wide

So there are two options :

1. Keep the cupboard space where it is but make it deeper so it can be walked into.

2. Move the walk-in wardrobe into the corridor space and reduce the width of the corridor to 1200mm wide

In both cases the clear width of the access corridor into the bedroom should/ could determine the outer face of the walking ward robe . In both cases, I assume the existing cupboard will be removed

I can also see some sun light from the corridor window - so if you have a terrace or access along there one would need to account for that too.

A plan would be very useful and it could be sketched out quickly

Best

David Studio O+U

• debzip

Thanks for the photos Jill. Works well.

Here is the estate agents plan. The main bedroom window opposite the en-suite entrance is very large but north facing so bright room but no direct sun. The skylight is on the west side of the house.

• debzip

Plan

• Jules Mc

I'd consider consulting One Plan for this. She can be found on the Pro's page.
    As a non-pro though, and to throw my penneth worth in I'd investigate whether it would be possible to build a walk in, in front of the en suite, using the advantage of full head height and also grab that space where the two door mirrored wardrobe is. You could go high then for additional storage (winter clothes etc) . If you don't want major work to the ensuite you could use it as the access to the ensuite. But if you're thinking of an update anyway you could relocate the ensuite door to where the small radiator is.

This potential layout might mean having to place your bed under the window but as someone who doesn't like sleeping under a sloping ceiling I would find that preferable. You'd then have most of the eaves space for some low level storage cupboards /drawers.

Studio O+U Architects

Hi

This would be option 2 and the internal arrange meant in the walk-in ward robe should be laid out or altered to work with the available head room ( is it is flexible )

Plan right could be a walk-in wardrobe with a pocket sliding door

Plan left could be a dress and mirror with shelving either side or recess space for a chaise lounge or built in setting with storage

• debzip

Thanks for the image. I like the idea of this and hadn’t thought of it.
    I am not sure though there is sufficient head height and this isn’t flexible.

Studio O+U Architects

Hi

If the roof slope is the same then possibly yes.

Would you consider a full length built in unit with sliding doors and additional low level storage at the back.

Putting in a walk-in wardrobe any deeper, is may to effect the space and ambience of the bedroom in its current configuration.

There are two other ways to approach this without effecting other spaces:

1.Placing the cupboards along the window wall and build them around the north window, so as not to obstruct the daylight.

2.The other would be to have a walk-in wardrobe where the bed currently is and make the bedroom a longer and more linear space.

All 3 will create a significant amount of storage at hi and low level.

Hope this helps with the dilemma:)

Best

David

• debzip

Thanks for all your help - given me lots to think about.

• Maths Wife

Just a thought, that if you could consider swapping sides, you may be able to do something more like this, although it takes up more floor space. I'm not sure that looking at the beams on your ceiling whether it would work or not, also, you'd need to move the rad to the wall by the shower:-

Which gives you a lot more wardrobe space than this:-

Studio O+U Architects

Maths Wife

The first sketch - As I noted in option 2 is the better arrangement of the two sketches.

There is more space made available as it makes the overall circulation more efficient and the bedroom is actually still a decent proportion.

• Maths Wife

Thank you Studio O+U I see that now............i often do not read all the threads!

• debzip

Thank you both

• debzip

Having considered different options of moving bed to other side of room etc, my preference is to keep bed where it is.
    I have been doing some googling and this is what I pictured. Involves removing existing wardrobes and putting this front. Is this possible? And if so is it a good idea?!

• Gabby

I still think you may not have the head height... your example pic is full height ceiling in front of the wardrobe before the slope begins.

Another way to think about it is I guess this... take a line as close to the window as possible (or as close to it as you’d be willing for the stud wall to be)
    10-15cm stud wall
    60cm wardrobe depth is relatively standard

So at that point what is the ceiling height? Can you comfortably stand for maybe 30-40cm in front of the wardrobe? What if you sold the place to someone who’s 6’ would it become a problem rather than an asset? (If you’re staying long term may be less of an issue)

Get what I mean?

OnePlan

Thanks for the mentions Jules Mc ! :-)

Hi Debzip . If you have open walk in robes spaced at 550 open robe - 800walk space 550depth backing onto another 550 - 800 550 550 800 etc - so your robes go from to the length from eves to window - this could afford you a mix of single hanging and 3/4 hanging and possibly double hanging at highest height and shelves or drawers etc too . Finish each section with a std door to keep it tidy. Reduce the depth down nearer bedroom entrance and keep a dressing table area under the roof light ... that’s probably what I’d suggest . Although the previous suggestions are also fab ! Hope that helps a bit ! (Adding a rough sketch to clarify ).

• debzip

Noted your comments Gabby. Thanks. It looks like I would have decent headroom.

Thanks for your sketch oneplan. I hadn’t thought of this idea! Could work well, although I would need to be clever with storage in low part of eaves to make most of this area and to be able to access it.

OnePlan

Ideal spot for handbags and boots !