debzip

big enough for walk in wardrobe?

Avril
4 years ago

I have just moved and realised I have way too much stuff! In last house I had a very deep in practical wardrobe. I would love a walk in wardrobe so I can see clothes at a glance.
Is it a possibility with this space using a stud wall near the window on right? Or would everything become really cramped?
Currently there is wasted space behind wardrobe.
Dimensions from wall (under sloped ceiling) to potential stud wall circa 254 but would need to be less than current 400 cm long as this would block walkway.
Think maximum length 250 cm.
Wall to front of wardrobe 154 cm.
Wall to back of wardrobe 95
Wardrobe depth 60 cm
Wardrobe length currently 400 cm.
From current internal rail to potential stud wall circa 140 cm.
Height internal current rail from floor is 140 cm.
Bed faces wardrobe. From headboard to front of wardrobe is circa 500 cm.
To potential stud wall 400 cm.

There are lots of measurements but I may not have taken the obvious.
This wardrobe would be shared.
Would really welcome any comments.
Many thanks

Comments (26)

• Pavan123
    4 years ago

I think you'd really struggle with adequate head height for a walk in wardrobe in that space. but I may have misinterpreted your measurements and meaning so happy to be corrected!

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

in case I didn’t make it clear the existing wardrobes would be removed

• Related Discussions

Creating a contemporary open plan ensuite and walk in wardrobe nigtmare..pls help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, is there a way to darken up the drawings since it's a bit difficult to see.
    ...See More

Walk in wardrobe dilemma

Q

Comments (16)
    Yes, the second pic is how it is now, but it doesn't work. There's no wall for a dressing table (it's currently half in front of the window but blocks wardrobe access), and my husband would like a tv in a normal place, currently on the window wall right next to the head of the bed, so barely watchable. The wardrobes are ok, but that's the only storage we have and they need improving if nothing else. I just feel there's so many 'little' things wrong I'd like to find a wider solution. Thanks everyone for commenting.
    ...See More

Walk in wardrobe

Q

Comments (21)
    I will, it's actually a house we are in the process of buying and the whole house needs gutted so I might be on here a lot as I plan to make a lot of structural changes
    ...See More

Room for a walk in wardrobe?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi! You have quite a big room, which means you could build a walk-in wardrobe with an access to the bathroom. It will make it quite cosy around the bed area, but it will become a very functional space with a separation between the room and the bathroom. It is a bit hard to have a look at the floor plan without actually scaling it, but if you need any help with the layout and the creation of your new walk-in wardrobe, feel free to text me! I am an interior designer and I would love to help imagine that space a bit more into details!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

Hi

If you are going to remove the existing wardrobe, you may want to consider re-arranging the room so that the bed is under the inclined section of the roof. This will allow you to use the space a lot more efficiently and one can even design low level storage units either side of the bedhead.

It will also you to use the opposite wall as a full height wardrobe, and depending on the size of the room, possibly to create a walk-in wardrobe/ or walking closet off of the bedroom.

A plan or some pictures of the other side of the room and where the room is accessed from would be useful

Best

David

Studio O+U Architects

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd probably agree with Studio O, can you post a plan of the whole room?

I can completely see where you're coming from, but it would depend on how far forward you can come and the access to it, that in hinges on. Therefore, see the space around the rest of the room is essential.

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments. The other side of the room also has a sloped wall. Here is a photo of the full room

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure that photo uploaded

• Jill Watson
    4 years ago

We had this made in a small loft office with similar sloping roof. You can access the rear through the middle section- we use that area for storage for items we only use occasionally.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

HI

Thanks for posting that photo- I see it's a symmetrical space so that would not resolve the issue.

What the new photo does show me is that the approach "corridor" into the room is quite wide and the room itself is very wide

So there are two options :

1. Keep the cupboard space where it is but make it deeper so it can be walked into.

2. Move the walk-in wardrobe into the corridor space and reduce the width of the corridor to 1200mm wide

In both cases the clear width of the access corridor into the bedroom should/ could determine the outer face of the walking ward robe . In both cases, I assume the existing cupboard will be removed

I can also see some sun light from the corridor window - so if you have a terrace or access along there one would need to account for that too.

A plan would be very useful and it could be sketched out quickly

Best

David Studio O+U

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the photos Jill. Works well.

Here is the estate agents plan. The main bedroom window opposite the en-suite entrance is very large but north facing so bright room but no direct sun. The skylight is on the west side of the house.

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Plan

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

I'd consider consulting One Plan for this. She can be found on the Pro's page.
    As a non-pro though, and to throw my penneth worth in I'd investigate whether it would be possible to build a walk in, in front of the en suite, using the advantage of full head height and also grab that space where the two door mirrored wardrobe is. You could go high then for additional storage (winter clothes etc) . If you don't want major work to the ensuite you could use it as the access to the ensuite. But if you're thinking of an update anyway you could relocate the ensuite door to where the small radiator is.

This potential layout might mean having to place your bed under the window but as someone who doesn't like sleeping under a sloping ceiling I would find that preferable. You'd then have most of the eaves space for some low level storage cupboards /drawers.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

Hi

This would be option 2 and the internal arrange meant in the walk-in ward robe should be laid out or altered to work with the available head room ( is it is flexible )

Plan right could be a walk-in wardrobe with a pocket sliding door

Plan left could be a dress and mirror with shelving either side or recess space for a chaise lounge or built in setting with storage

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the image. I like the idea of this and hadn’t thought of it.
    I am not sure though there is sufficient head height and this isn’t flexible.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

Hi

If the roof slope is the same then possibly yes.

Would you consider a full length built in unit with sliding doors and additional low level storage at the back.

Putting in a walk-in wardrobe any deeper, is may to effect the space and ambience of the bedroom in its current configuration.

There are two other ways to approach this without effecting other spaces:

1.Placing the cupboards along the window wall and build them around the north window, so as not to obstruct the daylight.

2.The other would be to have a walk-in wardrobe where the bed currently is and make the bedroom a longer and more linear space.

All 3 will create a significant amount of storage at hi and low level.

Hope this helps with the dilemma:)

Best

David

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all your help - given me lots to think about.

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Just a thought, that if you could consider swapping sides, you may be able to do something more like this, although it takes up more floor space. I'm not sure that looking at the beams on your ceiling whether it would work or not, also, you'd need to move the rad to the wall by the shower:-

Which gives you a lot more wardrobe space than this:-

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

Maths Wife

The first sketch - As I noted in option 2 is the better arrangement of the two sketches.

There is more space made available as it makes the overall circulation more efficient and the bedroom is actually still a decent proportion.

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Thank you Studio O+U I see that now............i often do not read all the threads!

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Having considered different options of moving bed to other side of room etc, my preference is to keep bed where it is.
    I have been doing some googling and this is what I pictured. Involves removing existing wardrobes and putting this front. Is this possible? And if so is it a good idea?!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I still think you may not have the head height... your example pic is full height ceiling in front of the wardrobe before the slope begins.

Another way to think about it is I guess this... take a line as close to the window as possible (or as close to it as you’d be willing for the stud wall to be)
    10-15cm stud wall
    60cm wardrobe depth is relatively standard

So at that point what is the ceiling height? Can you comfortably stand for maybe 30-40cm in front of the wardrobe? What if you sold the place to someone who’s 6’ would it become a problem rather than an asset? (If you’re staying long term may be less of an issue)

Get what I mean?

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Noted your comments Gabby. Thanks. It looks like I would have decent headroom.

Thanks for your sketch oneplan. I hadn’t thought of this idea! Could work well, although I would need to be clever with storage in low part of eaves to make most of this area and to be able to access it.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Ideal spot for handbags and boots !

• Avril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So after a bit of deliberating I have decided to go with OnePlan suggestion of walk in wardrobe. Thank you OnePlan.
    Now there are so many things to consider that I am almost frightened of getting it wrong!
    So I need a bit of guidance please.

The room has oak beams (not anything wow unfortunately) and a dark wood bed.

I am planning to paint walls and ceiling in Dulux Timeless as used it elsewhere and happy with it.
    The wardrobes are a big expense and I want to choose door colour that won’t really date.

Do you think white or off white (like timeless) an oak or another colour?

Design will be like this probably with no handles.
    What do you think?

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    4 years ago

We specialize in bespoke dressing rooms . I would say white is always safe :)

www.nordikka.co

Shaker Style Walk In Harpenden · More Info

Loft Dressing Room · More Info

Sliding door walk in wardrobe · More Info

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.