sofiasophie

curtains, romans, nothing or both? Help!

so phie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Dear houzzers,

after years of searching we found our perfect flat and despite the renovation being an uphill struggle we have finally reached the place where we need to decide on window treatments as our builder needs to install (or not) tracks.

The situation is:

- all windows of the property have heating below (underfloor not an option unfortunately).

- I am not sure what I prefer style wise, so I'm looking for help with functionality/ practical aspects of it

- The heater from the kitchen window has been removed as we will place the sink and tap under there. The heating pipes on the side of the kitchen window and the blinds box above the kitchen window have been nicely covered and look like wall. In this window I think the roman is a must, as I don't want a curtain interfering with the tap/sink.. but where do I place it? On the ceiling height? Or on the window? I think I would prefer on the ceiling but I am not sure.

For the dining room I do not want to hide the heater below and reduce the heating efficiency, you cannot see the heater in this pic but you can see the pipes leading to it. If I put a roman, again, do I hang it on the ceiling? And should it be as wide as the window or wider? I think I would prefer the wall to wall track with a light linen curtain but the problem is the heater below. This is the situation with all the bedrooms of the flat too.

Finally, to the last and I think most challenging element here at the living room. There is a door leading to the balcony and I am contemplating not putting any window treatments because I find it a difficult decision on what to chose.. But we do need some treatments for privacy.. If I put a wall to wall curtain here and on the opposite wall (behind me as taking this pic is the dining room) it would look too heavy on fabric, and I don't want that. Is there any combination of roman&curtain that would make the look here a little bit lighter?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.