dr_jayr_aguda

Uneven Ceilings Hide with Faux Beams?

Dr. Jay R Aguda
4 years ago

Hello everyone! We are doing a home remodel and we are opening up our space to an open concept. We discovered today that the rafter sizes in 3 sections of the house that will now be once big section are different sizes, leading to what could potentially be (if we did nothing), 3 ceiling heights. Note that this is a vaulted ceiling across the entire space.

The contractor recommends we demo the existing ceilings, extend the rafters, and re-insulate to bring them to the same height. However this might be cost prohibitive.

Saw some ideas online about hiding this defect using exposed decorative faux beams on the seams to hide the flaw. What are people's take? Has anyone done this? Is this a dumb idea? What questions should we be asking?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.