webuser_61583032

Original hardwood floors

Cici Chouse
4 years ago

Hello! Seeking opinions on whether or not I keep our original hardwood floors.

They are in good condition and I like the color. Some of the floor is creaky and uneven (to be expected) but generally, it’s in good shape for its age.

If I replace, it’d be with either real hardwood or engineered hardwood in a wide/long plank in a warm brown color similar to this inspiration photo. I know some people would be appalled at swapping real HW for engineered but that doesn’t offend me, heh.

Reasons to keep:

• less waste/environmentally friendly (I asked my GC if the wood could be salvaged so I could build a playhouse with it, but he said it has hundreds of nails so it’s not a good idea)
  • retains home’s charm (not as important to me but maybe for a future buyer many years from now)
  • saves money to be used for something else!

Reasons to change:

• put thicker subfloors and make everything even/not creaky (the neat freak in me loves this)
  • possibly add sound insulation (my toddler is a VERY light sleeper and it would be nice not to walk on eggshells when he’s asleep)
  • floor may eventually need to be replaced anyways and it’s nice to get it done now while we’re remodeling everything else

I’d like to poll others’ opinions since I’m genuinely torn. :)

Thank you!

The photo of the closeup is the original flooring.

The photo with the kitchen in background is the inspiration photo that illustrates the possible new flooring option.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.