miranda_stoneham

Needing exterior colour inspiration

Miranda 99999
10 years ago
I am feeling overwhelmed by magnolia/brown/stone and detest the stones around the windows. I think I could enjoy the tiles on the central portion if we get the colours correct. The added complication will be that in a couple of years the window frames will be switching to white. I do love bright front doors so that is a must. Can any of you inspired people start me on a direction away from bland!

Comments (26)

• Christy Tay
    10 years ago
    I really love the color theme already, I would just add amazing, vibrant plants and flowers to it. Purple should really pop out with the brown and beige you have going on. Maybe pink too?
    Miranda 99999 thanked Christy Tay
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! That was a surprise to like the colours. I will try and step back and reassess my thoughts as I probably have become over focused on having to change it all
  • Related Discussions

Inspiration desperately needed!! Need serious outside the box thinking

Q

Comments (21)
    How about open book shelves at the front with a sliding ladder for access and a hidden storage space behind. We’re always happy to help if you need any further advice. If you’d like one of our floor plan design experts to help you optimise your space - visit our website: www.betterspace.co We offer a low, a fixed-price package that include tailored design, furniture layout recommendations and a professional floor-plan drawing as well as a 3D package which includes a 3D floor-plan and photo-realistic images that will help you visualise your new design. You can use promo code ‘houzz’ for a further 15% discount!
    ...See More

Need some colour/ design inspiration please!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi! If you'd like to 1 on 1 help with the design etc, I'd be happy to help, as I have some ideas in mind for your rooms. I can create a layout for your furniture, along with a full consultation. :) Email me - kerrybryaninteriors@outlook.com Kerry
    ...See More

Updating 70's facade - inspiration needed!

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, Take a look at this website: http://www.backtofrontexteriordesign.com/  They have loads of fabulous examples. I'd be happy to mock something up for you, but have a couple of busy days ahead, so not much time left over for having fun with photoshop ;-) Will see what I can do if I have a spare hour or so.
    ...See More

Need some colour inspiration

Q

Comments (10)
    Your couch has an amzing color! It's in the set of "cold" colors. For this reason I suggest a face powder color, sorry for my english, I'm italian. With lime the warmth of the material would go perfectly well and create a warm feeling. Carolina
    ...See More
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lovely orange door and I like the crisper walls, not too bright but not a washy cream. Husband said he likes the blue sky most and can we get that! We are in wet Wales.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi Miranda. Pretty house. If you're thinking along the lines minimal change now, I wouldn't suggest painting the window bricks because they are so irregular; perhaps they could be concealed by being built out, and then painted a couple of shades lighter than the walls. I have no building expertise but I'm sure that's doable. Here's a rough impression on the front two windows of the effect. The second pic shows a repainted front door, popping a bit.
    Miranda 99999 thanked Rina
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    In this case, you would need some kind of tall plant to the right of the front window. I've planted one in a pot for you.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Rinamin, I think the stones are just clad but I suspect you may be right and rendering the damage from taking it off may be bigger than I think. There is a large hedge behind the photographer and a driveway so this is the only angle the front of the house is viewed from. The balancing of a tall shrub/small tree to the right of that window makes a pleasing balance as taking the stones away does leave a blank.
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think the expense of getting rid of the stone cladding around the windows would be a worthwhile spend. WIthout them, your house would look more modern and less 60s/70s bland.

I am surprising myself by saying this, but I think your house suits the dark window frames, why do they need to change? If the colour were a dark grey, and you painted the roof eaves to match, I think it could look stunning.

I might be inclined to replace the tiled siding with some untreated cedar that would go a lovely silvery colour as it aged. This would give it a more contemporary look.

Could an area of the gravel be laid to lawn? Just a bit in front of the closest elevation would lift the look.
    Miranda 99999 thanked gingerclaire
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    10 years ago
    Also the UK is a bit different in taste to the US. Over here if you fit shutters that are obviously too small to close over the windows, people just think it looks fake.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Gingerclaire, you have phrased my question better than me, its not so much the beige bland it is that 60s/70s beige/bland look that I would like to shift. Cedar planks(? is that the word) are going on my list of investigations!

The house is on quite a slope so whilst the front has a good elevation the back is different. If you can imagine the bottom third of the windows opening to the retaining wall, the middle third covered by flowers on top of the wall and only the top third showing sky and a through view ( the garden at the back is large). So the dark frames seem to make the rooms feel darker from the inside. Some major pruning and low level planting will hopefully fix the middle third of the view problem and some paint will fix the dark grey wall which is the view in the bottom third. This coupled with the fact that they are 80s double glazing so pretty useless for retaining heat was leaning me towards replacing with white.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hello again. I'm not in the US, actually. In South Africa where we hardly do shutters at all -- at least up north, where I am. I didn't mean the plastered-in bricks to look like shutters -- do you think they would? Maybe a vague reference to shutters ... :) How nice to be talking in roughly the same time zone. Good morning to you both.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Morning Rinamin! No offence taken on the shutters... as we have just had our summer for the last 5 years - 3 weeks of sunshine in a row. So the chances of more in the next 10 years are now low *joke*
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    10 years ago
    @rinamin ah I see what you were showing now. I wish I were clever at Photoshop to show you what I have in mind... I think anything that Miranda can do to simplify the areas around the windows will bring it more up to date.

How about going for dark colour frames when you come to replace the windows? I really think that your house could carry a look like the image Maureen suggested; and look how good the dark window frames look there! I think the thing that's jarring you when you look at them at the moment is the clash between the white on the roof edging and the dark windows. If both were dark it would be a much subtler look. You could then get creative with the wall colour...

You have a house with a whole heap of potential, good luck!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I don't have Photoshop, I use an oldish version of basic Paint, which I taught myself to use when I had a passion for drawing made-up rooms a few years ago. I'll give it go to do a version in grey, but it will take a while. Paint is fiddly. I'll be back later, d.v.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Off to feed the kids will look back when I can unclamp them from my legs!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Here we are ... my skills aren't really up to doing the cedar, I'm afraid. At least not in any hurry and without an example to work from. I do think grey suits the house, and I'm not terribly keen on grey in general. I used a greenish grey for the walls and a brownish one for the fascias and gutters -- picking up from the existing tiles. I'm not sure the distinction will show here, though.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much that was really kind of you! Darker fascias make a surprising amount of difference, which I really like, and I can see how it anchors the roofline back down on the windows.

I am pleased we decided not to switch the windows immediately as I can get the outside sorted and may be back pedalling and keeping dark ones even if we do replace them.

The green/grey is lovely, the house is in a small village in rolling fields cow countryside rather than the higher sheep mountain country so as you can see in window there are a lot of trees around. The colour seems to settle the house nicely into that kind of environment.

My list at the moment is now looking like
    -Remove stone around windows
    -Balance the new plainer wall with something tall
    -Darken the fascia/gutter
    -Fresher base tone paint - nothing creamy - looking to chalky/grey/green
    -Pop the front door :D
    -Poke around at the base of the house to see if the lawn can be pulled back a bit in front of the central wing. (haha - giving a bungalow wings - but you know what I mean!)
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Lovely. Enjoy! I'd love to see a new picture when you're done -- on this thread, or I might never find it. Please.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    will do! probably towards the end of the year. Lot on for the next two months then cracking on with the house
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Yay!
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Part 1 started, planning permission now submitted! the front door is being centralised to give us interior space each side in the hallway. Kitchen extension submitted to infill partially the space between the right hand "wings". This should tidy up the messiness on that side, the new window from the kitchen will now face outwards to the garden rather than at the opposite wall with the bathroom window. So a small window from the bathroom also is going to be on the front of the house. So definitely going to have to paint the outside now...... May have to wait until spring or hope for a dry winter ( not a chance!)
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Before plan
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi Miranda. You may have noticed that my profile name changed from Rinamin to Rina. I didn't really intend that to happen, but it's fine. Have you decided what to do about the stone on the windows? Congratulations on getting started with part 1. Wish you well and wish you fine weather. In spite of its being unlikely, climate change makes all climatic things possible. And confusing. I hear from your island that you are having a fine and beautiful autumn.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Rina, Hoping to go along with your picture from the summer :) So the stones are coming off I hope unless the husband gets in the way. The below plans don't have the front door move but have the rest of the building work on there
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Yay! Tell the husband he needs a holiday, somewhere a long way from home. When the husband's away ...

Neat plan. I also wish you contractors who are devoted to their work and clients. And highly skilled.
  • Miranda 99999
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    fingers crossed
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.