margretg2

Tumble dryer requirements

margretg2
last modified: 4 months ago

These days, Houzz fitted kitchens/utility rooms all have tumble dryers neatly concealed in cupboards; often the dryer is stacked on top of the washing machine in a double-height cupboard. Since looking at the siting requirements, however, I've discovered that dryers are very finicky. I was initially looking at heat pump dryers for a utility room, but, according to John Lewis, condenser and heat pump dryers will not work if the room temperature is too low (the utility is unheated) or too high. This means garages, conservatories and the like are a no-no. Apparently, these machines also need good ventilation in order to work properly and cannot be housed in a cupboard https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/tumble-dryers/3022-tumble-dryers-installation-requirements

If these dire warnings are true, this is a problem. It seems the old vented dryers are less fussy but I really don't want a hose dangling out of the window. I wondered if any kitchen/laundry room planner had any advice on this?