tchi77

This Fisher & Paykel or Bosch refrigerator?

T
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're starting our kitchen renovation soon and I am exasperated trying to pick a fridge. Our requirements are counter-depth, stainless steel, French door, with gray sides (one will be fully exposed), no external dispenser, not too crazy $$$. About 20 cu ft, don't really want to go much lower. No extra gimmicks.

The final front runners feel a bit risky since there just aren't many reviews, but all the ones that have a lot of good reviews have as many or more really bad reviews. We've narrowed it down to:

-Fisher & Paykel RF201ADX5_N, which is 20.1 cu ft. There's NO ice maker and no water dispenser.

or

-Bosch 800 series 36" B36CT80SNS, which is 21 cu ft. Ice maker and internal water dispenser.

We're replacing a similar-dimension side-by-side from 1995 that is ugly but has never needed the ice maker and water dispenser repaired in the 7.5 years we've owned our home, which I know is pretty much unheard of these days. It's enough of a reason to be completely fine with a fridge that does NOT have an ice maker and dispenser. I had no idea they'd be so hard to come by. We don't need the dispenser since we have a faucet filter anyway, and frankly happy to make ice with ice cube trays if it means we don't have to stomach 5 repairs in as many or less years.

The Bosch is really new so there just aren't many reviews, but we loved the way it felt in person. It seemed sturdier and better built than many of the other fridges we looked at in person. I liked how both of the doors opened and closed independently. The only thing I didn't love is I felt the crispers felt a little small since the sides weren't completely straight but kind of concave. But it just felt overall beefier and better designed inside than anything else we looked at in a somewhat similar price range (it was the top of the price range we've looked at). Really well lit inside, too. I also like that I could get the more pro-style handles, I admit. The pricier of the two.

That being said, I'm kind of leaning to the Fisher & Paykel, though it has few reviews too. We liked it in person, better than a lot of the other ones we first started looking at (KitchenAid, etc) which all have lots of good reviews and as many terrible reviews. But not as much as the Bosch. But it's kind of comforting knowing it wouldn't have a dispenser and ice maker to potentially have issues with. I did think it was stupid that you had to pull both crisper drawers out at the same time, but I figure I'd get over that.

I must admit going from a fridge that's never had ice/water repair and reading so many reviews on so many fridges with endless repairs, especially on water-related features, makes me want to just about have a cooler instead. ;) But as I said, it wouldn't be a burden to not have an ice maker for us and we don't have any need to use a water dispenser, anyway.

Anyone have either of these models and have any input? Would it be nuts to get the Bosch and just... not hook up the water line (if you can even do that)? Ugh. Wish this was easier!

Comments (50)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.