webuser_123704644

Decor ideas for conservatory

HU-123704644
4 years ago

Just bought a new house and the conservatory decor needs addressing. Although I don’t mind it, the wife hates the bright green wall and we will be painting it a different colour. The room is currently empty and the TV is no longer there so that wall is being painted too. The only thing we are 100% sure about putting in there at the moment is our digital piano which has a very dark walnut finish. Any ideas appreciated as I’d like the wall(s) to have a bit of ‘colour’ but I’m a bit stumped as to what would work well. Thanks

Comments (19)

• Ellie
    4 years ago

A toned down green eg sage colour would be nice

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Good suggestion

• Carolina
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd like to know what the adjoining room looks like, so that it flows through. And what kind of style you like. Cream tones would work in there, but you could also go for something like F&B London Clay I think.

I'd definitely put a large plant in there and a rug.

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Carolina. Thanks for the suggestions. Being that, I’ll spend quite a lot of time in there playing piano, I’d like the colour scheme to be ‘inspiring’ if that makes any sense? As for style, I’m not sure to be honest. Modern? First time home owner and I’m a total newbie when it comes to home decor. Any advice is most definitely welcome! The adjoining room is the dining room and we were contemplating getting a new extendable table. Any suggestions for the colour of that would also be appreciated. Thanks!

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I think a conservatory looks best with light walls. Even if you simply painted it cream it will be an improvement. Are you having a sofa in there? Don’t forget colour can be added with cushions, throws, a rug and accessories. As you want colour, I agree a soft sage green, as Ellie suggests, would be lovely, such a soothing shade that goes with so many styles of furniture. I have used Farrow & Ball Cromarty in my home and I also like Mizzle and Dulux’s Overtly Olive, which is a deeper green. Here’s some ideas

Cromarty

Mizzle

Overtly Olive

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great ideas. We’re thinking of putting a ‘reading chair’ of some sort in there. Maybe a unit on the opposite side to the piano with a plant?

• Carolina
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry, not a very nice mockup, but here you go... this is what I would do :-) Click on the pic to enlarge it

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m not sure about the wall colour but you’ve sold me on putting a large plant in there :)
    Thanks for the effort. First time using this app, everyone is so helpful!

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

Timber colours and greens go well together so if you have a mahogany piano perhaps look at a toned down version of the green you already have.

I have Cromarty, Mizzle and Tranquil Dawn (Dulux 2020 colour) in my house and like them all.

• E D
    4 years ago

Where is your piano?

I‘ll show you mine, if you show me yours.

:-o

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha. Currently in storage!

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

The floor is peach (orange) and the walls are pale green so they are fighting for attention. If the walls were a much darker green it would work but at the moment it is jarring somewhat. The walls are currently different colours and I think that works. I would consider an off white on one wall and a really dark inky blue black or other dark colouron the other such as Downpipe. Love Caroline's suggestion too.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think peoples taste is either for fresh colour tones or for warm or for neutrals.
    Personally I would choose a deep green/grey

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A deep green would probably be my choice too but my wife ideally would like to keep things more neutral. I was contemplating maybe opting for a soft green like Dulux’s Tranquil Dawn to replace the current green because of its versatility but I’m now doubting whether or not that would work after listening to Colourhappy’s thoughts. Help!!! :)

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    4 years ago

I would look into the option to open the conservatory into the kitchen and create a Mediterranean sun room. In that case I’d go for softer sage and olive green greys. Add few potted trees like olive, bay, orange/ lemon tree and some ferns etc. Add some shelves for books and some garden ornaments. Create indoor outdoor room that you can enjoy all year.

The room as it is a bit a tunnel like with the light pouring down from the ceilings. There isn’t really a view from the room all focus is centred into the garden door and accentuating the narrowness of the space. I’d advice to create a drama and add large pattern wallpaper with leaves and flowers. It will distract the eye from the shape of the room and will create an intricate illustration of space.

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great advice. Thanks!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

It looks like the kitchen floor is different to the dining floor which is different to the conservatory floor - so I’d be starting a ‘new flooring’ money jar to address that in the future, if I were in this home.

Taupes and olives are lovely transitional colours to take you from garden to interior ... along with natural stone and woods.

If your doors between conservatory and dining room are outdoor grade - the chances are that they will need to remain - as the thermo efficient (or not!) property of the conservatory may not be up to interiors standard.

Some lovely ideas on this thread !

• HU-123704644
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep 3 different floors

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.