honeyry

What would you do? Garden needs love and help!

honeyry
4 years ago

Hi everyone, hoping to get your brilliant assistance with ideas and advice. We have a house with a decent size south west facing garden, we get the sun from around 12pm through until sunset. After having some renovations done to the house, the garden is in desperate need of ideas. There is a grass area (although the grass is in a pitiful state) of 8m x 6m and a patio next to the house of 7m x 5.5. and some borders around the grass area with some hebes (which do very well) and a gooseberry bush. The only flowers that are in the garden are bluebells and we would love some more plants and flowers. Please see the photos. There is a second hand drawn plan (my son's proposed design based on his desire to have a longer lawn) - the measurements are in metres and are correct for the total footprint of the garden but please ignore other ideas and use the plan showing what we have today. (I couldn't remove the Proposed plan from the attachments to this post for some reason)

My 15 year old son would love a longer length of lawn that he could use play football. We have just taken out a huge bush that means that we can now see through from house to the end wall of the garden to see what length of lawn we could get. It doesn't have to be full length in the entire garden but I don't know if it would look strange if it were not symmetrical?

The only thing we are absolutely committed to keeping is the apple tree (marked AT on our plan) and the elder tree on the back wall. I much prefer flowers and a bee/bird-friendly type of garden. We have a mish-mash of fencing around the really quite lovely old walls with a particularly ugly fence (north-facing) to the left side of the patio as one faces down towards the garden. We had 3 large bamboo plants on the north but three bad storms in a row pretty much killed them. Am trying to revive them at the moment. Sitting on the patio is not exactly a joy :-(

We live close to the sea (salty winds) so any plant or flower needs to be able to withstand that kind of environment, but we are pretty sheltered from wind and sunny in the actual garden. Anything planted close to the north facing wall has to tolerate all day shade if planted close to the wall. The soil is reasonable (a little chalky but not bad). We also have a girl dog so I think that impacts the lawn with urine staining :-(

I'd be so grateful for your thoughts and ideas;

example pictures would be fantastic. We are beginners at gardening but very willing to work on it!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.