anthony_reen

Floorplan help - 1960s semi-detached

Anthony Reen
3 years ago

Hi, I have just bought my first home and we are wondering how we can improve the current layout. The property is north facing so we have noticed its dark in the back rooms, particularly the office.

My current thoughts are to knock down the wall between the living room and the office and install oak bi-folds, so it can still be closed off it we want but at the same time light from the front window will flow through. My hesitation would be that I'm not sure exactly how that office space would be used if we do that. Could it be possible to remove the dividing section of wall left between the dining room and office to make that more open plan overall and then move the office to the back extension? We are also thinking of adding a roof lantern to get extra light in?

OR

Do we extend the kitchen in a year or two and connect the area that way, using roof lights to bring light in and large doors into the garden?

(pics to get an idea of the space and floorplan)

This last picture is the connection from the kitchen to the toilet/garage, not too sure if anything can be done to bring the toilet more "indoors".

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.