webuser_197439464

Sagged roof issue

Hello,

The roof of the extended part of my house is slightly sagged. I bought this house last year and the structural survey report pointed this out as an important defect and advised me to get this rectified by adding more support to the roof. I recently discussed this with a roofing contractor and he suggested he could fix this issue i.e. get the roof to the same level as the original part of the house by doing the following:

-Remove 4 courses of tiles for access to loft space.

-Supply and fit 8x2 purlin glued and bolted to existing.

-Supply and fit 5x2 rafter collars to prevent further roof spread.

-Replace tiles, felt and battens.

Please find attached the photo that shows the roof on the extended part of the house is lower than the original part (on the right) of the house. If I look at google photos from 2009, it seems like this has been there for a long time. So not sure if it is going to get worse. It is a 1970s built extension. So I am not sure if putting more load (with another purlin) on the ceiling is a good way to solve this issue. Is there other ways to resolve this issue? Any advice appreciated.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.