terraschulz75

My patio needs shade

Terra S.
3 years ago

Looking for some creative brainstorming help in finding shade solutions for our back patio. Except for mornings and evenings this space is completely unusable in the summer as is. We have considered just getting an umbrella but would rather save up for a more permanent solution. I'm usually pretty good at envisioning what I want but my brain skews to the symmetrical and there just isn't that much symmetry to work with here.

• the back of the house faces SSW. most of the day the sun comes straight on, but late afternoon it peaks over the sunroom roof
  • the exposed rock has an asymmetrical line and in makes it difficult to place evenly spaced supports
  • while the sun is an issue in the summer, I LOVE the sun through the patio doors in the winter, so something retractable or seasonally removable would be nice.
  • bonus points if the sunroom roof can also be shaded.
  • fir scale, the patio doors are 14ft.

I initially wanted a retractable box awning over the doors but that wouldn't address the late afternoon sun. My husband wants to build a permanent structure with a roof but I absolutely HATE that idea. I need the winter sun and I dont want the house to feel like a cave.
HELP?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.