mrs_dusty

Renovation novice

Mazzer D
3 years ago

My husband and I have just brought a 1930’s semi which needs updating. We’re planning to learn as we go along with smaller jobs, watching YouTube videos etc, to try and do some works ourselves to help with costs.

The main jobs we can’t do ourselves include:

- small 1.7m extension along back has flat roof which has previously leaked. We want to replace for pitched roof with sky lights

- moving loft stairs from bedroom to the landing (not sure if this will mean utilising some of smallest bedroom or having a dormer)

- New windows and doors (these are double glazed but not upto current standards, lacking vents)

- Making the kitchen/diner one bigger room. (I really want to keep a utility and downstairs toilet, for many reasons so any advice on best layout would be appreciated)

We have a small savings pot of £13k. Once this is gone, work will be saved for/done month by month.

As there is nothing immediately urgent (everything is functional 🤞🏼) where would we be best to start and use the savings? I’ve heard you should start from the top down, but equally I imagine the kitchen diner to be a pretty pricey job and also will be heart of the home, so would that be more sensible?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Floor plan attached.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.