tdharvey86

What carpet would work best here...

Charlie Spaniel
3 years ago

Having largely finished renovating our house a couple of years ago, we have a formal living room (not heavily used) with a floor we've never got around to finishing. When we moved in, it was fully carpeted but when we ripped it up we were pleasantly surprised to find a decorative oak border - that same oak that flows through the rest of the ground floor. We had this border sanded and revarnished but we've never made a decision regarding the central area.

In an ideal world, a large Persian area rug could be stunning but the cost over such a large space (12' x 9') is likely more than we'd like to spend, so we're probably talking a nice carpet with whipped edges. I suppose replacing the timber with more oak flooring could also work but it's a drafty old Victorian house on a Yorkshire moorside, so carpet is probably a wise choice for warmth.

We may choose to use this room as more of a formal dining room (plus we have a muddy spaniel!), so I am somewhat reluctant to put in a plain cream carpet (if it's a devil to clean), and I'm not sure if we should inject a bit of extra colour (though we want to keep it traditional / classic). The woodwork is satin white and the walls are Dulux Heritage Pale Nutmeg. The old furniture in there is a bit of a mishmash and we'll likely not keep it like that (with the armchairs being recovered - another place we could inject colour)

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated! Photos below.

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.