webuser_512830061

Is it strange to have completely different colours in different rooms?

HU-512830061
3 years ago

Hi, we are currently thinking to decorate our house and it’s our first time doing this (we somehow managed to have lived in houses all with magnolia walls in the past 10 years...) so would really appreciate some advice!

We are just thinking to decorate downstairs first, will tackle the bedrooms later. Our house is a new build so our style is contemporary. At the moment we are thinking to have very different colours on the ‘feature wall’ in different rooms, but they will be complemented by different shades of light grey. However, i dont know if the feature wall colours are too different and the results will turn out very strange... even though one may say its down to personal taste...

So for the lounge, we have a dark grey sofa, white tv unit and duck-egg curtains. Carpet is in silver/light grey. So thinking to paint the feature wall in teal then the rest in a very pale grey.

For the kitchen-diner, we have high gloss white kitchen units and mid grey quartz worktop. Flooring is a white & grey wood effect vinyl. We are thinking to paint the wall behind the stove in red (pepper red from dulux), which is in fact not a very big area as there are over hanging cabinets. The rest of the walls will be in a light grey colour again (but slightly different from the one used in the lounge).

For the hallway/stairs/landing, we have light grey carpet, so thinking to paint the walls in a light grey colour which is darker than the other two light grey mentioned. Then paint one of the walls on the stairs to a dark blue-grey colour.

Basically the main colour will be light grey, but I am not sure if the red, teal and dark blue-grey colours dont go with each other, even they are in different areas? Maybe we can change the red in the kitchen but not sure what other colour we can consider - it is a north facing kitchen hence we chose the white units but we dont want the walls to be in magnolia, white or boring.

Any suggestions for any colours we can have a look?

Many thanks!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.