Your Garden Made Perfect

Jules Mc
3 years ago

What did we think tonight??

Comments (18)

• Sonia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Well Jules, I didn’t like any of them! Granted the swimming pool nightmare was a big challenge. The sunken (very sunken) garden with all those level changes just didn’t do it for me. I did like the planting. I think filling up the pool, levelling it and laying some grass and whatever plants you could afford would have been better. Then you could add to it as funds allow. At least it was under budget! The smaller project just made the area under the pergola thingy seem tiny and cluttered. How would you get all the friends and family under it?

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The pool, both before and after, looked rather uninviting to me.

The result felt a bit like a Centre Parks ‘water paradise’. Pastiche.

And I got a bit annoyed by the countless “wows!” untimely exclaimed during the visualisation special effects.

The other couples’ result was ok, but not something for an evening TV garden program.

Overall disappointing.

Jules?

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm with you both. I realise that it would be costly to fill in such a massive pool but silk purse out sows ear kept springing to mind. I think the one they went for was probably the better option - that first design was hideous, a big square hole with ugly staircase??) but even so, I still think they've been left with something they'll never use. Except maybe the firepit level once in a blue moon. Center parcs pastiche is spot on.

And I just didn't get the small project. What a waste of time and not what they asked for either? !

Had to come on here for a proper chat, having asked my partner (who was head down engaged with something utterly fascinating on his phone ) ooh, what would you do with that big eyesore in the garden? His reply - I'd fill it up with some water!! 🤦‍♀️🤣

• pmasmith3
    3 years ago

I agree with all of the above. It was a very difficult brief but I don’t get why some designers feel they have to recreate a landscape that is totally alien to the surrounding area. The couple had lovely far reaching views but could only take advantage of them by teetering round the ex-pool and almost clinging onto the railings.

The fire pit area was really nice and I could see that being used a lot, but I would have liked the deeper levels filled in at least a bit!

The little project looked like a diy store display. I was really disappointed because I like the designer - though I can’t remember his name at the moment - his own garden is amazing.

I know we all want different things from our gardens, I rarely sit in mine I’m always ‘gardening’. ED I agree the ‘wows’ can be a bit annoying but not as annoying as tv gardeners planting the wrong plant in the wrong place. So, like in the previous post on this programme, I’m about to watch Carol Klein on catch up ......

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Another thing is there was no emotional draw and quite a soulless programme. It was design and voila, done! I like to see the landscapers actually mentioned like they do on Garden Rescue and I love the rapport between Charlie, Arit and the Rich brothers, even if I don’t always like the garden designs. That swimming pool design was like a Chelsea garden rather than a usable space. I’ve sat round a fire pit and I was blooming freezing!

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Couldn’t agree more, first design for the pool was hideous. I would either have broken the whole thing out back down to a lower level or filled it in.

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is a bit soulless, yes. I remember the house one being a bit more engaging in that respect, even with the bloke who wanted to put banquette seating all over the show!! 🤦‍♀️

I suppose they made it less theme park ride like by not having off of the walls, clad in the stone but even so..... No!!!

And yes, the view - from one little, corner of the garden? Rubbish! I'm cross for them ha ha - and they might love it - either that or they both graduated from RADA!!!

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here you go... 🤣

• Sonia
    3 years ago

😂😂😂

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Agree that the first design was hideous. The one they went for was the best option, in my view.

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well I was willing myself to like the results for the family last night....... 😒 The two bits I liked most from the original design were the fire pit and the little corner shed/swing/hideaway for the daughter and neither were there as planned as far as I could see? And that slope being practical in all weather's for a wheelchair?? The planting was lovely but I can't help feeling the other design would have been far better in the long term. What do you all think?

Oh and don't get me started on the little yarden. Loved the concept and the colours but what was the deathtrap jagged wooden flooring all about???

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Weather's! 🤦 Sorry ED.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I really liked the second design and am glad they went for that. Loved the use of the concrete pipes for a pond and for plants. Much more interesting design than the first one. That white gravel would have been blinding in the sun and I thought it was a very boring design.

I liked the solution for the swing they came up with. Why do you think the ramp wouldn't be useable in all kinds of weather? When it's icy, she's not likely to go out into the garden anyway?

Agree with the wooden deathtrap floor :-O

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I was thinking about the wet/icy weather Carolina but you're right, I'm sure she wouldn't be using it much then anyway. I didn't think about all that white gravel being blinding - good call - I just thought it was practical but yes, it was a bit boring. And I've just remembered seeing the daughter at the end and thinking oh yes, he gave her a cupboard/hidey hole big enough for a rabbit! Probably why they ditched it!!

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha ha I love the summing up of the husband. Although he looked very happy with the result too! Is that a lot of 'hard work' garden wise Sonia? I thought it looked like the kind of garden that could get a bit wild quite quickly and look the better for it?

That little yard, I've seen lots of those drop down bars/tables from pallets and think they look great.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I think Jules as most of the planting was in containers it will make it so much more accessible for them both and maintenance will be easier. There was some planting at ground level which he will just have to do. The garden was mostly for her. Her world has shrunk due to her MS and that garden will be something for her to enjoy. I agree I think it will grow and get wilder in time. 🌸

• Jules Mc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah that's fab isn't it. I hope it will give them lots of joy over the years.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.