stormsinger

Decorating Flat for Son in The British Army

Z Stevens
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My son is in the British Army and has just gone away for six months. He moved into a small basement flat last summer and I've managed to help him with a few pieces from home, and family members have donated bits and pieces.

The flat needs a facelift, nothing major - just a lick of paint and a couple of tweaks here and there. I'm absolutely hopeless with interior design, I can't decide on the colour of a towel, let alone colours for a whole flat!

I would love to be able to decorate and modernise the flat for him before he returns. I'm on a tight budget so would love some advice/help. If there are any budding interior designers out there who can lend a hand that would be fantastic!

I've posted a few photos : The Sitting Room - has two soft grey velvet sofas. The Main Bedroom - unfortunately only has Ikea furniture to work with and a Small Bedroom - with donated furniture and a small Hallway. I'm confused as to which way to go ...... "Period" or "Modern"? HELP PLEASE!!

Comments (31)

• E D
    3 years ago

Looks like a good flat.

Does your son have a style preference?

Z Stevens thanked E D
  • Patrina
    3 years ago

First let me be very state side and say I am very appreciative of your Son's service to this country. I hope that he comes home safe. I think what you are doing for him is very nice. As E D asked, does he have any style preferences?

Z Stevens thanked Patrina
  • Related Discussions

Is Magnolia paint bland or beautiful?

Q

Comments (96)
    @colourhappy I totally agree. Like everyone else I can’t help being influenced by trends but I really try to choose things that are not too ‘of the moment’. Like those enormous wall clocks someone else mentioned. They look fab but they are definitely a trend that will define this period. Eventually there will be a lot of them in landfill. Our trusty magnolia paint saw us through 10 years of family life in our old house with 3 young children. It was super easy to slap a bit more on if it ever got dirty - who am I kidding, I mean WHEN it got dirty. It didn’t clash with the wood effect floors which I think many of the currently popular grey or yellow colours would have. I suppose I’m also lucky that I’ve not spent much time as a renter so I don’t have the frustration of having magnolia forced on me. I don’t remember it being a thing in the 80s either. I DO remember the Dulux ‘hints’ range from then though: Apple white, orchid white etc. My Mum loved those.
    ...See More

Thoughts on Scandinavian style?

Q

Comments (36)
    Norwegian Scandi style is really cool with monochrome background but with great art work on the walls and accents of colour. At night it looks really cozy with lots and lots of candles which are all lit and replaced regularly . My son lives just outside Oslo and I visit a lot. His wife is Norwegian and also a designer by profession but their house always looks tremendous . You don't get bord with the minimalist design as it is regularly changed around.
    ...See More

What's the most British thing about your home?

Q

Comments (67)
    To add to my earlier comment, I think my individualism epitomises the very essence of being a true Brit. I'm not a slave to trends, just go with my heart and hope my design ideas will come together in some sort of coherent way. There's pride in that in spades, and we're a proud nation, aren't we?!
    ...See More

Houzz Advent Calendar: December 18th - Win a cushion from sofa.com!

Q

Comments (94)
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the comments and input, it was great to see so many of you get involved! The competition is now closed, and any winners should have received an email from us confirming their prize so get checking. Happy New Year and here's to the next one!
    ...See More
  • donut99
    3 years ago

The flat looks great as it is i think, love all the colours you are thinking of, but wonder if would make a basement flat a bit too gloomy. Personally would try painting the wall behind TV first in any of your colours, but possibly no 11 or 9. Would leave entrance white though. Good luck!

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi donut 99 - thank you for replying. I am worried about making the flat too dark, as you say. I will follow your advice and start with the tv wall. Also like the idea of a white hallway! Thanks again

• Wumi
    3 years ago

Good sized flat! Love the entrance hall. I can image some panelling on the lower half of the wall but that may not be to his tastes!

Starting with the chimney breast/alcoves is a good call. A darker colour will hide the impact of the large TV. I’d move out the shelving unit and get some built in shelves and paint them the same dark blue colour. An easy way to do this is with alcove brackets.

I fitted some plywood shelves this way which I purchased from my local lumberyard. They also cut them down to size for me. Check how straight your wall are first though!

• minnie101
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I really like the flat. I’m not sure what you’re looking to change/add or your budget but it doesn’t need much.

I agree with Wumi and add some floating shelves. Maybe for the tv wall a shade of dark green (couldn’t get exact). I’d add an arc lamp over the table and I think the plug sockets need covering with a plant (which you could buy when he’s due home!). Maybe some pattern for a rug, hopefully he’d like a Berber style.

I don’t think the hall really needs anything, maybe a lamp and some stems in a vase if in budget.

id paint the other tv wall navy and add a colour for throw and cushions.

For the other room, art over the bed, add/swap the cushions for some colour and a table lamp on the chest with again some stems (I’m not sure if they’re still doing them but I have preserved stems from Shida, mainly eucalyptus but a couple of wild flowers too). I would go for plug in wall in lights but not sure there’s space?

• Kiwikate
    3 years ago

Great flat and fab suggestions on decoration. Only comment is that while the green looks really good, it might be worth considering if he would want to avoid green in his living space, if it reminds him of work.....

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Lovely flat and the entrance hall is fab. I’m not sure about adding dark paint, in the wrong light it can seem gloomy? There is a Dulux shade that is blue but not too dark called Denim Drift that you may like? Here’s a couple of pics of it.

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Wumi, minnie101, Kiwikate and Sonia!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to reply and give such brilliant ideas! I honestly don't know where to start, so all the suggestions are greatly received.

Wumi, I love the idea of the hanging shelves - they look so much better than the fixed units which I think date the room. Thank you minnie101 for the clever paint ideas (it gives such a good image of what the wall might look like). I think I will try a dark blue and see if that works, and the plant is a great idea for hiding those awful plugs. I did laugh at Kiwikate's suggestion that he might want to get away from "army" green - I think you have a very valid point lol lol! I really like the denim paint Sonia - and I think that might look lovely in the small bedroom. Do I stick to white ceilings and woodwork or cover ceiling and walls with the same colour? I'm never sure if the ceiling painted will make the room look smaller? Once again, thank you for your ideas! I love how generous people are on this site ...... I think I might find myself being blacklisted with all my questions hahahaha!!

• christineacy
    3 years ago

Hello. Love the flat. It has very neutral, safe colours. The only thing I would say is lighting. Get some daylight bulbs that will create natural light. If you are going to go for dark colours you need to take into consideration the lack of light a basement flat has. Also daylight, cool light LED strip lights on the ceilings would work too. And thinking about that your son is in the army. I would first find out what his favourite colour is and check online about colour therapy for example what colours lift the spirits? etc... Also add plants. What is his thing he likes doing when he is home ? Incorporate his likes in colours, pictures and posters.

Much regards to you and your son.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I don’t mind the shelving unit itself but the ceilings are quite a good height, particularly for a basement, and the shelves accentuate the height plus it’s good to vary the height of things in a room. I only went for green (not quite the right shade) as the sofas seem to have a green undertone but good point made re work 😆

Its normally better to paint the skirtings in the wall colour as it will make the room feel taller. Rather than a white for the ceiling you can go for a lighter shade of the wall colour, the lesser contrast makes it appear taller.

do you know which way the rooms face as when I tried wall colours a lot of neutrals came out blue?

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Christineacy! Thank you for the reply. Yes the flat is lovely - he is very lucky as the flat belongs to a family member who is letting him live there “mates rates”!! The owner is thinking of changing the lighting throughout - with the small LED’s - that will make such a difference to the lighting! Hope he does it soon lol!! My son likes period homes (odd for such a young man) but I’m worried about mixing a period room and then an IKEA modern (ish) bedroom. I’ve posted a photo of a room he liked - a lady above suggested panels so I’ll have a look a and see how expensive they are!

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

He really likes this room. Do you think it could work - or too dark?

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi minnie101 - thank you again! I had no idea that painting the skirtings the same colour will make the room taller. I’m making a note of all these suggestions. Please have a look at the photo I have posted above and let me know what you think. Would panelling work or will it close the room in? I don’t know which way the room faces - it does get a lot of light during the day so it’s not a gloomy room. The bedrooms don’t get a lot of light so not sure if I can go dark?

• Wumi
    3 years ago

There are some good YouTube tutorials on simple panelling of walls using decorative moulding strips.

Here‘s a good link -

https://gemmalouise.co.uk/2020/04/diy-wall-panelling.html

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh brilliant - thank you!

• Wumi
    3 years ago

You could also do with some built in wardrobes for the alcoves in the main bedroom. I’ve seen some really good tutorials where people have used IKEA wardrobe carcasses and decorative moulding strips to create ‘built-in‘ wardrobes that look period appropriate.

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I agree. My son and I spent hours trying to get an IKEA fitted wardrobe to fit the space - we just couldn’t get it to work. I think next year I’ll try and help him pay for fitted wardrobes - but I’m sure they don’t come cheap! Also finding tradesmen is always tricky. Nothing is easy when it comes to decorating that’s for sure lol!

• E D
    3 years ago

Re LEDs, I personally wouldn’t go for ‘daylight’ colour. It’s very white and ‘cold’.

A warmer white between 2700K - 3500K (the higher the whiter) would look more natural in my opinion.

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ahh interesting- that’s good to know. I prefer a warmer colour than cold bright white! Thank you

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Love a bit of panelling. I've seen on Pinterest many suggestions of how to do it. Most just put up battens at intervals and when it is painted it looks the real deal. Very smart.

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow - it looks amazing! I think that could look really good in the bedroom as well as the sitting room. Thanks for the suggestion I’m going to research how easy this is to achieve!

• christineacy
    3 years ago

Ohh the picture... yeah a traditionalist for one so young. Seems he like cosy and to be hugged. These days anything goes, mix and match so a modern trad. Re: cool lights you can get varying tonal ranges, so maybe dimmable LED lights, so he has the choice. You can mix, match and even from cool to warm and with warm to cool LEDs. Or placing cooler ones nearer the dark areas and warmer to the light areas. And panels are great, MDF, cut to size and glue them on. And a mantle/shelf below the TV's to get that look in the main living area and the bedrooms. Rail and Dado rails around the room, to cut costs only on the walls you can see. Then you can hang pictures from them. As the wardrobes are wood it will be fine. It all seems like alot but if you have a scap bank in your area you can get paints, wall paper and charity shops sell furniture not forgetting the auction websites. Some charities are on the auction sites too. And I just remembered, soldiers do get discounts in a lot of places, and as there is not a lot of things we get free these days... As the room is dark, Sonia's lighter greys, blue rather than the darker shades, it will appear to be darker anyway as the basement flat is dark, as the colour will change throughout the day. Please post a picture when you have completed. It is sounding so exciting.

• christineacy
    3 years ago

A quick P.S. Freecycle. When lockdown is lifted and its up and going again. If there is something particular you think you or he would like, shout out to the freecyclers.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

The panelling may close it in slightly just due to the contrast in colours. The room looks a little tricky for part panelling though with the radiator and tv? Do you think he’d consider a fully panelled wall behind the sofa Instead? Just a thought. I have one (small) fully panelled wall that took a decorator the best part of a day so it is quite labour intensive by the time you’ve drawn it out on the wall but cost wise was cheap.

it sounds as if the bedrooms face north, I think one inky wall to disguise the tv would be fine. Just pick a warm neutral or a bright colour for the other walls

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi chritineacy. My note book is filling up fast with all these wonderful ideas. I have just researched LED lights, and as you say, they have some that have three different options - so depending on his mood (and he has been known to have them lol), he can choose whichever he fancies. Thank you, such a good call as I had no idea of all these options! I will definitely post a photograph when it's all done. I can't wait to get started now ..... the advice from you wonderful "Houzzers" has spurred me on!!

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi minnie101 - It's interesting because I don't like the room I have posted (period/dark blue)! My son has asked me to stick to that theme - but I'm worried it will look dark and closed in. I like your idea of maybe doing just one wall - but does it really need all this fuss? I honestly think that once the flat is painted and freshened up, he will think it looks great. I'm glad you noticed the radiators and the high windows - because looking at the period property, the panelling seems to go all the way around the room. It will not be possible in my son's flat because of the issues with the windows and radiators - won't that look odd? I think I would like to paint the main wall (with the TV) in a darkish colour, matched with lighter on the other walls as you have suggested. I would like all the woodwork in white (what do you think?) - do I go matt/satin/gloss? I have no idea (I did warn you I was shocking at this lol)!! I will keep posting my ideas on here because the advice is invaluable - and of course I will post the finished article!

• minnie101
    3 years ago

😂 it’s tricky decorating for your son. The one thing I forgot to say is that the panelling you posted would look better with coving IMO so if you were to do one wall I’d go with Sonia‘s full height example as that works without coving. I do agree though it doesn’t “need” panelling. If you had some spare cash/time I’d go with Wumi’s shelves suggestion but I guess it could be time and money wasted if your son doesn’t like it 😞

In terms of the blue it’s hard to say whether it will darken the room, I think an inky rich colour would probably be better than a mid grey/blue. He also has windows which would break it up plus art and mirrors would break it up too. I think the one dark wall would work well particularly if lights are being added. Personally I’d do the skirtings in the wall colour as I said before but keep the windows in a complementary white. I use eggshell for wood as I prefer a flatter finish but again personal opinion. I’d also paint the radiators in the wall colour so they blend in.

• Z Stevens
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s definitely tricky decorating for someone else - especially as I have the interior design skills of a gnat!! Thank you again for the paint suggestions - I will put a plan together - run it past the “Houzz era” and take it from there! Watch this space ..... as they say!! 😂😂

• PRO
    The Home Staging Studio
    3 years ago

hi I can help you visualise on a budget ! I am virtual designer! I create 3d projects which look real.life. I do it with the help of floor plan, photos, videos and measurements!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.