sam_dahou

Need your HELP!!

Sam Dee
last modified: 15 days ago

Hi all,

Happy Sunday 😊

I‘m having issues trying to layout our new extension with a knock trough its 9.5M x 5M

theres a roof lantern 3Mx1.5 .

I want it to flow kitchen with lounge

I’ve attached a plan.

the patio door on the left isn’t in a window can go there.

Thanks in advance

This is the original plan from the architect

• Sam Dee

One row of units to the left 3600 and 3000x1000 island ... will this work?

• mckenna_deirdre
    last modified: 9 days ago

I'm doing up layout (very basic!) As the space is similar to mine, even the placement of door/window. You did say you have a roof light? And is it still kitchen by the doors?

Sam Dee thanked mckenna_deirdre

Need your ideas - accent colour on wall with mid grey kitchen units ..

As I don't have a visual of the room I would find it hard to advise you.Is there carpet in this room or wooden floor? What colour are they?

Need all your help with a tiny bathroom please!

One possible solution. It gives you the bath and shower in one unit behind the door away from the window as well as the sink and WC of course. Admittedly a little tight on plan at the end of the shower bath but your upper body and arms would be free to move over the end of the bath and into the window recess, and your feet, whether standing or sitting, would always be in front of the WC where you have more space. The sink has plenty of space around it with room for a towel rail adjacent. The sanitary where is all taken from the Ideal Standard website but you could use any manufacturer - the point is it can be done. I would also make the glazing obscure, if it is not already, by using an after market stick on film cut to size. You can get plenty of patterns or just frosted. You could also add blinds as previously suggested. Note: any proposed layout could be affected by the proximity of your existing foul water drainage - just bear that in mind.

Need your help with this bathroom! Project come to grinding halt!

I am not sure the loo has to be on the outside wall - it could be anywhere, you just have to box in the large pipe that will run from it to the outside wall. I know it's irritating when people say start again but the room seems a bit bitty and if the basin and loo were in a run of units, separated by small cupboards, with a continuous surface along the top of the whole run, it would look really rather sleek. And the pipe could run under the units, hidden by it - that's what I've done in my bathroom. Stick a mirror above the units, covering the whole wall from surface to ceiling, and side to side, and it will make the room seem much bigger. Are you having a towel radiator in there? That will add some character if you have towels that complement the colours you choose. Then add some interesting bits and pieces to make it seem less utilitarian.

I Need your help !!!!

Even with mirrored bedsides its still (in the style you look like your trying to achieve) find to have mirrors above to add the luxury touch. I have added a few examples. If this isn't personally appealing to you then you could go for a picture or as you said three images but you would just need to ensure they are the right size for the space. Tip: Stick some sheets of paper up with blue tack to get the right size for you before you buy.
  • Sam Dee

I’ve not put any windows or doors in as yet, there’s a roof lantern going in 3mx1.5m

• Sam Dee

I don’t knoW if this will help you better

• Sam Dee

Thoughts guys?

• rinked

Goodlooking kitchen!

But..

Isn't this room for lounge and kitchen and dining and storage?

I understand the need to get the kitchen design perfect, but I have a feeling you are hyperfocussing, am I right?

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • Ellie

Hob right next to sink... where do you put your ingredients that you are putting in pot, where do you put the pot when taken off hob, you need space to work.

Sorry, you did ask but I don't like it. I think your island shouldn't be that close to the doors. If you imagine walking into the room, how long is it.... 8m, your doors will only be half visible with a big solid block in front. There are sites that do online visual walk-throughs, you should try that before deciding...

Sam Dee thanked Ellie
  • Ellie

Are you having bifold or is that just to give idea of doors? If only 3.6m opening then I think a 2 pane slider looks much more impressive or if it needs to be bifold then 3 panes is enough.

Sam Dee thanked Ellie
  • Sam Dee

Totally Rinked... it’s taking over my life... can’t stop thinking about it and trying to keep everyone happy. we’ve got one shot to get it right!!

is 8ft enough room to put a dining table to the right of the island 🏝 😩🙈🤦🏽‍♂️HELPPPPPPPPPP

• Sam Dee

Ellie, we were going for bifolds... then because of the size we’ve opted for 4 panes of glass 2 central sliders.

• Sam Dee

Please note 📝 I’m taking all comments on... if it works great!! If it don’t great!! I prefer your honesty as I don’t want to end up with a Car crash of an extension

thanks again everyone

• Ellie

Dining table parallel with your island? Definitely not enough room with a 5m width. Even with narrower island and no stools it would be tight

Sam Dee thanked Ellie
  • rinked

Preferably 80cm (at least) inbetween hob and sink. I overlooked that one.

Ellie has some good advices!

No, 8 feet will not do for an island with both sink and hob.

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • Ellie

An island normally offers valuable prep space. Yours offers almost no workable space, unless you walk around it to other side.

Sam Dee thanked Ellie
  • Ellie

What are your tall units by the bi-folds? Can you just make them worktop height units and get the sink over there? Looks like you have loads storage with island being double width.

Sam Dee thanked Ellie
  • rinked
    last modified: 8 days ago

I used the measurements you gave.

Without a diining table you'd be able to fit in a kitchen with eating space for 4, a small utility where (satinated) glass doors will let in light into the kitchen from that side of the house, a desk/cabinet and a corner sofa.

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • rinked

And just to show you what you are planning: A kitchen with island near the garden doors.

Where would you like your sofa and perhaps tv?

With a similar layout, but kitchen on the other side of the room, it would leave a bit of space for a sofa. Tall units are on the opposite side though (but that is something you can get used to, mine are in the utility next to the kitchen).

My honest opinion: Island.. Don't.. Waste of precious space..

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • Siglint Kessler

Please have a look again at my previous sketch. If you try it out to scale, you’ll see that it offers you the best in space saving. With all other solutions you have to compromise on the dining area, and that would be a shame, as it does fit the way the sketch shows... Rinked has also shown you already the best place for utility...

Sam Dee thanked Siglint Kessler
  • Wumi

Maybe something like this with a half wall between the dining and lounge?

Sam Dee thanked Wumi
  • Sam Dee

Thank You for all your comments and it seems they have worked, we’ve decided that the kitchen needs to be nearer to the house with a utility room and 🚾. The lounge will be at the other end towards the sliding doors.

now we need to decide kitchen Layout larder or low units 😩🤦🏽‍♂️

😍

• Siglint Kessler

But please note - peninsula one seat shorter allows for the dining table with bench in the other corner. Around this table, also homework can be done, or work at laptops.. .very useful and flexible.

• Siglint Kessler

Another note: place both doors in the utility very carefully, ie as close as possible to the washing machine. This allows you to also use the opposite wall for shelves!

• Sam Dee

Thoughts?

• rinked

I'd place the tall units on the bedroom wall and hob in the 'niche'.

Personal preference.

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • lolalola73

I agree ^. Also I put large wide drawers in as many places as I could. Access is much easier than cupboards. One other thing you could consider is switching the sink on the island for the hob & move the sink to the niche. If you want to use the island to sit at I’m personally not so keen on sitting close to the sink. Invariably in my house there are dishes waiting to go into the dishwasher at the sink. I thinking visually when you walk into your room your island will look cleaner with the hob rather than the sink.

• Wumi
    last modified: 7 days ago

Another vote for hob in niche and tall units along bedroom wall.

I’d go with pocket doors on the WC and utility room door. Also reduce the WC to 800mm. Plenty of space.

• Siglint Kessler

Opposite the washing machine shelves of about 40cm depth are fine, so maybe give the bathroom some more space instead? And then - again - if last unit of the peninsula is 40cm rather than 60 - you get that option of a good size dining table to the left.

But you somehow don't seem to react much to my comments, although the layout has boiled down to exactly what I was the first to suggest...

Sam Dee thanked Siglint Kessler
  • lolalola73

I thought Siglint’s suggestion of the window & bench seat was a great idea. I’ve seen that done with houses that have a narrow side return where the window protrudes out from the wall allowing a bench seat. The table can then be pushed up to the wall/window when not in use & you gain max space. I’ll see if I can find a photo to illustrate.

• lolalola73

These aren’t quite right but might give you the idea of what I mean.

• Siglint Kessler

Yes, thanks, Lolalola, these give a good idea. It might be that Sam is not allowed to have a window there... leading to neighbours? (but hopefully yes). However, table and bench should fit in any case, without protruding window - IF the peninsula is shortened just a bit. Those 20cm less make the difference between comfortable and frustrating.

Sam Dee thanked Siglint Kessler
  • Mat SP

Similar sized house

Sam Dee thanked Mat SP
  • Sam Dee

Morning all,

there have been changes made again!! 😩🤦🏽‍♂️

we set up the last agreed kitchen layout .. and it felt closed in especially with the utility wall .. so to get that feel for space we’ve removed the units along the right wall and moving the island (1300 gap from wall units and 1250 gap from utility wall ... giving it a clean and contemporary look.

see pics

The quartz wrap around the nib won’t be there (making the nib the width wider and moving the island 🆙

thoughts please

• Wumi

Hmm.. You are saving yourself 60cm of floor space but you now have virtually no work surface. Where is your kettle, microwave, toaster, cafetiere, etc going to go? Where will you put the extractor if the stove is facing towards the living area? Where will the dirty plates for the dishwasher sit?

This layout is too cramped. I'd put the cooker along the right wall and move the sink to the towards the wall so you have a good chunk of worktop free as you enter the kitchen.

Sam Dee thanked Wumi
  • mckenna_deirdre
    last modified: 3 days ago

I agree I think you are leaving yourself short on worktop space. Could you balance it out by losing two high larders, put larder to the right along that wall and then start worktop into the corner and around outside wall to the peninsula. That gives you two corner presses so you dont lose storage and you get a nice corner at the larder wall for your appliances such as coffee machine. It also has the advantage that you could put the sink along the outside wall and frees up space on the peninsula.

• Ellie

Yip agree it's not good as mentioned above with no room to put things on worktop.

I don't see the point in you having the overhang for stools as when sorted at a stool there you are going to be looking at a blank wall of tall units, when I'm sure you'd like to be actually looking into the nice space you are creating. I know it doesn't bother many, but I wouldn't have that, your back to most of the room, and the sliding doors.

• mckenna_deirdre

I should have said I have similar worktop space around my hob and sink and very frustrating and doesn't allow for two to work together I rely on my peninsula for baking etc!

• Sam Dee

We have integrated microwave, quooker tap the extractor will sit flush in the ceiling. The worktop is 2.8m long so there’s plenty of workspace.

this is my friend kitchen which has a similar layout

• Ellie

If you are ok with a 1 person only kitchen then it'll be fine. Would anyone ever do any washing up in sink as there really isn't any space to do that, I know you have a dishwasher but I still like to wash up in sink

• Wumi

The difference being that your friends layout is not against a wall with a nib, neither is it doubling as a breakfast bar. If you do decide to go for this, I would remove the stools.

2.8m minus what looks like 80cm for the hob and say 60cm for the sink leaving with 1.4m of broken up work surface. Will your sink be under-mounted. Where will you put washed items that can't go in the dishwasher?

• lolalola73

Your friend’s set up is also different because both neither the wall units nor the island end at a wall. I think your blank wall will look a bit strange with nothing on it. You’d be better to go lower level units on the other wall & move your sink off the island.

• rinked

You mentioned there is 210cm between bedroom wall and column? That leaves 90cm aisle? That is very very tight! A dishwasher door opens up about 70.

• rinked

Are you sure the measurements you gave were right?

• Wumi

I believe it was 2700 @rinked

• rinked

Whoops, read 2100 :)

• rinked

Ok that could work.

I traded the narrower tall units for a drawer and upper, so there's some space to put the breadbox and coffee machine.

• Siglint Kessler

My favourite layout for a kitchen is indeed what you show in your friend's house, an island opposite tall units. But it all depends on the situation, there is much more space in that house. In yours, a U-shaped kitchen really gives you the best result. It actually won't feel cramped, on the contrary, shortening the "cul de sac" is better, as is having more worktop and storage.

I'm saying it now for the 3rd time - if you don't shorten the peninsula by just a bit, the dining table won't fit. At least, try to include a table now, in your drawings, rather than just looking isolated at the kitchen, to convince yourself. If you're giving up on a dining table and are only left with bar stools, I really don't think it is pleasant for the family to sit with backs to the garden, as was pointed out before, and also not nice to sit all in a row - always. In daily life, it's much more likely the stools are used for a quick coffee by one of you, or giving the children breakfast, rather than for family meals, and as such 3 seats will be plenty. As a last argument: if you don't find a dining table important, when it comes to selling, I assure you that having one would be a plus.

I am also baffled that I see in your rendering drawers coming out sideways from the peninsula. That is a traffic zone, man! Imagine someone rummaging through drawers and another family member needs to go from livingroom to bathroom, having to wait.

You're making your life difficult...

• rinked

(that's a grooved side panel, Siglint, faux drawer fronts)

I agree a dining table is sooooo much better than a bar.

• rinked
    yesterday

Island with height drop. No utility but outdoor views.

Fridge next to hob, but other appliances elsewhere. Oven could go out of view next to sink, but if you like to see it, opposite the island. Washing machine (and vacuum cleaner) in a tall unit that looks just like the kitchen.

Sam Dee thanked rinked
  • Sam Dee
    yesterday

So here’s a bit of background:

There‘s.. only me & my partner living in this house.

we occasionally have my son/daughter over once a fortnight (15 & 5)

utility room is a must

dining table is a must (love sitting with family and having a meal)

3 chairs around a breakfast bar is also important

we have friends around once a month

we love cooking together as a team.

we like minimalistic don’t have anything on show/worktops ie microwave, toaster kettle

we want the kitchen to flow into the lounge and dining area without obstacle.

I had the option to go 8M wide but didn’t want to lose anymore garden

it Difficult living in a bomb site whilst fully renovating it at the same time... so some decisions are hazed and made in haste through anger and sleep deprivation 😩🤦🏽‍♂️

I really thank you for all your input as it’s helped us out... yes you were right!! We were just focusing on the dream kitchen and negl

everywhere else.

so thank You again as your comments have been so helpful

Sam xx

• mckenna_deirdre
    yesterday

Hi @Sam Dee

I was watching all the suggestions here and looking at your measurements I think you have plenty of space to do what you want. You wont regret the utility! Here's a couple more options (sorry but I had to resort to excel! Wfh! ) I've put a bench with a dining table in the space beside the utility, as that could very well become dead space, so you can keep it tidy against the wall or pull out to use it.

In option 2 I've put in a desk space at the end but that could be kitchen units either.

The peninsula option is the same way we did it, gives you space for a small desk area using a high stool behind the pillar and we put a wall unit underneath and it's a great way to get additional storage in, that you dont need accessible. In each case without the peninsula you could leave bedroom wall blank and go back to the full wall with long island opposite.

Good luck with it all, and most of all try to enjoy it. I know how stressful this can get 😣

Deirdre

Sam Dee thanked mckenna_deirdre