louis_simons28

Extension Layout Idea- Feedback Wanted!

Louis Simons
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are in the early stages of planning an extension on our 1920's semi. It is a 3 Bedroom (was originally a 2 bed but previous occupants squeezed an extra room upstairs) and with another child on the way we are looking at add another bedroom, an additional shower and create a more open plan living area. We love the area and would rather develop this home for the long term than move to a larger house in an area we don't like as much.

After playing around with numerous layouts the one below is the one we feel ticks the most boxes for the budget we have available.

This would include adding a 3m permitted development extension at the rear- going over the footprint of the existing conservatory (which is more of a dumping ground atm or too hot/ cold)

This would add an office/ guest room that can be used as a bedroom by one of the kids as they get older, in part of current kitchen (changing the pantry to a walk in wardrobe) and by blocking off the side door.

The rest of the current kitchen would become a small utility/ shower room and connect to the existing downstairs WC via an existing previously blocked off door. so no structural work would be required here and all the water/ drainage pipes are in this area already.

The new extension would house the kitchen/ diner with large sliding/ bi folds into the rear garden.

The only structural work would be removing half the rear wall to open up onto the new extension, while existing electric utilities and fuse boxes also stay in place in the utility room- hopefully saving some budget.

It would be great to hear if theres any other magic ideas we may have missed.

We understand a downstairs bedroom is not everyones cup of tea, but seems to be the best solution.

We don't think a smaller 2 storey extension would work because: 1) hard to make the lay out upstairs work 2) neighbours right to light as the houses next door face ours at an angle 3) cost ! ) but happy to hear any bright ideas on this. An architect agreed with us on this also.

We also have lovely light that comes in the front living room window in the evening, so would not want to loose this by adding a bedroom to the front part of the living room.

We have spoken to an architect, who has suggested a rear 3m extension and also a front extension. We don't think this will be in budget, and not entirely sure how this layout would work with the front extension. There's also lots of additional hoops to jump through with a front extensions- but waiting to hear their provisional thoughts and estimates.

It would be good to hear thoughts on the living area/ kitchen/ Dining layout. I think a 3 metre extension doesn't give adequate room for an island, but the wife doesn't like U Shape Kitchen Layouts- not sure what other option there are for this in the space planned.

A link to more renders / floor plan details are here: https://www.homestyler.com/projectDetail/60c0aa45665c7d0a4c7df796

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Floor plan with 3m Extension

Current Floor Plan

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.