kinchif01

Wallpaper Dilemma. Superfreco Bruges

kinchif01
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

1. Paper back wall only with three walls in white emulsion

2. Paper back wall and chimney breast for balance

3. Paper chimney breast and alcoves, rest of walls white.

4. Paper chimney breast and paint back wall dark green

5. Paper all walls up to a picture rail.

6. Room measures 16ft x 16ft. Height is 8.5ft.

7. Any ideas for window, its a sliding sash? Curtains match existing furniture.

8. Rug will be replaced also.

Mink furniture is staying. New olive green sofa to be added in place of brown leather sofa.

Comments (10)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

That wallpaper is gorgeous. My main thought is why white walls for the rest? I would choose one of the shades in the wallpaper, the pink is especially lovely. You also have a nice mauve (I think?) wall which looks like a nice rich shade.

kinchif01 thanked Sonia
  • kinchif01
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, the mauve will be covered with the wallpaper.

• tamp75
    2 years ago

I also like the mauve with it & agree that white won’t work. I’d paper the chimney breasts & alcoves then colour on the rest of the walls, either the mauve or a green.

kinchif01 thanked tamp75
  • Pauline
    2 years ago

My take would be paper chimney beast and opposite wall. Paint alcoves dark green and other walls pale green. Large dark green, gold interior lampshade. My paper is similar with a navy background and I chose a dark pink opposite the wallpapered wall and pale pink for the side walls. Awaiting a navy bedspread.

kinchif01 thanked Pauline
  • PRO
    Caroline Couzens Design Ltd
    2 years ago

Be careful with a feature wall. You may achieve a far more sophisticated finish with perhaps working paper all the way round up to a dado rail. If this is a period property re-instating this and a picture rail works wonders with strong paper finishes.

kinchif01 thanked Caroline Couzens Design Ltd
  • kinchif01
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you.

There is no dado rail, but i am having a picture rail fitted, as I am trying to pluck up the courage to paper all four walls up to the picture rail. 🤦‍♀️

What colour would you suggest above the picture rail, I am thinking a muted white?

The room is 8.5m high.

Has one sash window, but is South facing?

The new sofa will be olive green velvet as in 1st picture above?

Thank you

• hedgehog99
    2 years ago

8.5 feet maybe, rather than meters? I’d avoid white above the picture rail, for the same reasons as before, and also because if the ceiling is white too, your eye will perceive that the picture rail is the top of the room so the ceiling will feel lower. Unless it really is 8.5m in which case you might want to create the feeling of a lower ceiling! 😉

kinchif01 thanked hedgehog99
  • PRO
    Caroline Couzens Design Ltd
    2 years ago

2.5m high?

A picture rail will sit 15-20cm above the door frame.

I'd go green above the picture rail and on the ceiling.

You've chosen a dramatic paper.

This is a scheme you embrace either 100% or not at all!

kinchif01 thanked Caroline Couzens Design Ltd
  • kazzh
    2 years ago

I see that your door is a crisp white, You could try your sample paper against the white to see how it sits. I think you have a paper which will sit better with a color than with a white, even a muted white. I'm inclined towards the suggestions and observations of other posters around wall colod.

kinchif01 thanked kazzh
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.