emily_lindley

Exterior porch "missing" but would like to add one

Emily Lindley
2 years ago

Hello,

We are renovating our home and it has come down to the wire. I have to make a decision regarding our front porch or lack of one! It was built with a small concrete stoop and then the rest of it was filled in with gravel. Nothing grows there and it looks terrible.

The pictures are of what it looks like right now. Originally, we wanted to deck over all of it - including concrete- and put the vents under the deck. I was given an idea (from houzz) to purchase metal grates to put over the vented area - dryer vent, hot water heater and seldom used basement bathroom. The builder is concerned that the deck level will be too close to the door threshold and water (snow/ice) could become an issue. I was also offered the idea of putting patio pavers there and going over the existing concrete with the pavers. All would be same level but the patio would have to come off of the house approximately three inches so it would appear to be "floating." This would prevent moisture and debris from being trapped which could cause the sill to rot. It wouldn't be very obvious. Would you deck it or put a paver porch in? Two different levels such as a patio on the ground and then leave the stoop? I really don't know what to do. The other thing to consider is that with a wider porch the posts could increase in size and not look like two toothpicks holding up the roof. We would add a third post if we had an entire porch.

Anyone else been in such a conundrum?

Please share any photos for reference if you have them. Thank you so much for listening and helping.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.