laura_clarke93

Help please with 1930’s Kitchen diner layout…

Laura Clarke
2 years ago

Given the hike in costs of materials recently, I have given up on the dream of large rear extension to my 1930's semi and we are going to have to work with the space we have. I could really do with your help with deciding what is possible in terms of layout. Please see rather old plans of the original downstairs layout (draw up when the loft was converted before we moved in 15 years ago).
We blocked up the original back door and knocked an opening through to the small galley kitchen, to add a u shaped kitchen withe dining table opposite. Being SW facing it is a lovely bright room, the dining area being the most used space in the whole house. It has served us surprisingly well over the last 10 years, although the kitchen is cramped and there is hardly any room for food prep.
Our plan was to knock the wall down completely between the kitchen dining room and flip the kitchen across to the dining room and take out the chimney breast. Our dining room measures 3.946m x 3.445m and the kitchen is 2.1m x 2.99m. Our builder has suggesting pinching some of the hall space by taking down the stud wall between the kitchen and hall and having a glazed door into the kitchen inline with the wall between the dining room and front room. I like this idea as it will give use more space. I have set my heart on having a row of units along the left hand wall with a kitchen island but will this fit or look too cramped and will we still have room in the old kitchen for a decent sized table to seat 6? I have around 60k to spend but want new windows and new boiler has to come out of the budget too.

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.