dsaberi

To knock through or not and internal doors

Deborah
last year
last modified: last year

Hi lovely people who are always so helpful.

We live in a 1930s semi and currently have a separate lounge to our kitchen diner. The kitchen diner is long and narrow but a rear extension is not an option for us due to cost. I am considering knocking through our lounge wall to give the feeling of more space but cannot decide if its a good idea or not! The wall is a stud wall.

I only want to do this if there is still the ability to have internal doors as I have young children (so want to have privacy and soundproofing a lot of the time) and as you can see there is often mess I don't always want to see!

I was hoping to have internal double pocket doors but a builder has told me that the maximum opening with those would be 1.6m due to a coat cabinet (see drawing) behind the wall. I don't want to lose that coat cabinet as it is essential storage which cannot go anywhere else.

I have considered internal bifold with the fold lying flat over the wider edge of the wall which will be left (where cabinet is) but can only seem to find vufold that do this and they are all glazed. I would like a solid door for the mess and privacy reasons! French doors i also don't think can be considered due to the narrowness of our kitchen and the proximity of the dining table to the opening.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth knocking through or other door suggestions? Any ideas gratefully received!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.